advertisement

serious downgrade to what?

If you like how your Bluesound operates perhaps choose a NAD integrated such as the NAD C399 which comes with the BluOS module (making it work and operate like your Bluesound but all built into the amp) - and MM phono stage.

If you get the NAD you can sell your Bluesound Node.

You could also but a dedicated CD transport like the Audiolab 6000CDT and plug just the one digital cable into the coax of the NAD. Easy to use using CD media - just push the CD in the slot rather than mount on a small spindle with a plastic open drawer.

Seems the logical choice in that regard.

I’d definitely consider active speakers if you want to lower box count. I love my ATC40A’s and they are room friendly too. But there are many choices out there, some more wallet friendly too. I sold my Event Opals to a well known Wammer for spares and his Opals replaced big Tannoys.

Woodface really rates his ATC CDA2 preamp and you could feed your Node2i into that. You’d need a phono stage though.

My "simple" system for when I deem it appropriate to downsize will consist of said SL-10, either my Naim Nait 3, or A&R A60 (both serviced and ready) and again either my Mordaunt Short Carnival or Pageants. The A60 has a mono button so its the current front runner but the Nait is no slouch. A long time ago I ripped all my CD's and I use a RPi with dac HAT to stream my digital music. Its a very satisfying system that I listen to regularly when I'm cleaning records, and sometimes just for pleasure with a wee drinkie!

I obviously recommend going for vintage items and refurbishing them giving them a new lease of life and it can be done very reasonably.

We will need clear and simple operation, decent sound, a minimum of boxes (so an all in one amp/streamer and etc would be ideal if poss) a record deck (with phono stage if the amp thing is without), and standmount speakers with a smooth enjoyable sound.

Something maybe from Rega :-

Planar 3/Exact mm for vinyl £880, Saturn mk3 for cd £2000, Elicit mk5 for amplification (has built in mm and dac) £2000. Three pieces of kit plus speakers to taste (I like the new Kytes ) and money left over.

Have you heard one Richard? Very expensice and will need a CD and speakers so may be over budget but I quite like the modern looks (Mrs me may not :) ). Anyway I'll add it to the list.
Naim do something called a Uniti I think? Marantz? Cambridge? I need to plow through some paperwork.

I did demo one at Radlett Audio a few years ago through some Harbeth SHL5 plus speakers and a Rega Saturn R. Very clean and controlled and of course a nicely compact and a beautifully presented bit of kit. At the time I was contemplating a major simplification of my system (something that is still in my mind) but eventually decided it wasn't necessary yet and so I wasn't prepared to forego the difference in SQ. That evaluation may well change as time progresses.

The lowest spec model seems to be circa £4,500 but there is always the possibility of getting a ex dem or preowned from one of umpteen dealers. For example there is one on eBay at the moment advertised by Fanthorpes Hifi for £2,700. Not sure about reliability/serviceability though. I guess that's a greater risk if you flip to all-in-one type solutions.

Many thanks so far, with lots of good ideas, so great. Thanks also for sympathy, I am the deaf one, and the old girl heading into brain probs. We’ll sort it. Auto stop on the SL 1500 sounds perfik for example.

If keeping a TT, poss phono stage, stereo speakers rather than a boombox bluetooth solution of some sort, then I fail to see the point in this... just sayin':)

Can’t help thinking that P3ESRs with a Sugden A21a would see you out quite happily.

A joyous combination.

Whatever shortcomings the P3s have on paper are soon forgotten when listening…

Perhaps below what you want but I'm throwing it out anyway: in the kitchen we have an all-in-one Technics. (Technics SC-C70MkII All-in-one Music system) It has DSP processing and speakers built in. Internet, FM and CD. Alas no external connections for LP.

I think I know what's going on and the simpler you can keep it the better it will be, imho ditch the LP.

Best wishes for the future.

Various health reasons for me and the old girl suggest this will be a good idea in the near future.

For info the current set up is:
Palmer 2.5 record deck with SME M2 9" arm and Hana ML low output MC cartridge.
Into Avid Phono stage.
This and the Luxman CD 05 feed into a Leben 600 valve amp.
There's a BluSound Node doing streaming services, and that lot outputs to some homebuilt Tannoy 12" monitor Golds.

I'm keeping my vinyl....I just spent all winter cleaning the lot so, and i have 500+ CD's so I will need a CD source.

With that system I’d just swap-out the valve amp for something that doesn’t matter if you forget to turn it off, maybe something simple and quite humble like a Quad 34/303 or whatever (chosen because it sounds great with Tannoys, and not all solid state does by any stretch). If keeping the phono stage a passive pre would be great. That done I’d just leave the rest be. The big Palmer/SME is as easy to use as a manual deck gets. If you need auto buy a vintage Technics or whatever. The Tannoys are great, go loud enough to deal with a fair bit of hearing loss later on, and no one is ever going to accidentally knock them over. Maybe downgrade the cart to a nice MM with a cheaper and easy to replace stylus. Job done.

With that system I’d just swap-out the valve amp for something that doesn’t matter if you forget to turn it off, maybe something simple and quite humble like a Quad 34/303 or whatever (chosen because it sounds great with Tannoys, and not all solid state does by any stretch). If keeping the phono stage a passive pre would be great. That done I’d just leave the rest be. The big Palmer/SME is as easy to use as a manual deck gets. If you need auto buy a vintage Technics or whatever. The Tannoys are great, go loud enough to deal with a fair bit of hearing loss later on, and no one is ever going to accidentally knock them over. Maybe downgrade the cart to a nice MM with a cheaper and easy to replace stylus. Job done.

Seconded, a streaming amp might be the answer. My only reservation is they can be a be bit complicated to use and require apps to function at their best..

I understand your position and feel like I'm on a similar trajectory. My thinking is Technics; whatever you want to spend, an amp/ streamer like the Naim Atom or Linn offering and some Harbeth speakers.

I had a very good demo of the Naim Uniti Nova with ATC SCM40's and owned the Uniti Atom for a while with Proac Tablette 50 Sigs. They are very good all in ones. I would look to pair one with some good bookshelf speakers that are easier for you to move about in your dotage. Something like Proac's or Harbeth. The Technics is probably the right choice too for the brief.

Thanks gentlemen. Some great ideas again. I certainly am wary of App only operated systems since my old girl won’t have a smart phone.

That will be a real challenge for streaming, LP and CD are simple manual replay systems so perhaps you should focus on getting those right as a priority.

The Naim systems do come with a good all fashioned remote that does most things, a matching CD player would make sense to reduce the number of controllers to have to understand. I have experienced this with my mum, a top tip is to have a spare set of batteries to hand always..

Good luck with your journey..

Thanks gentlemen. Some great ideas again. I certainly am wary of App only operated systems since my old girl won’t have a smart phone.

Please keep in mind: Anything computer / internet related gets outdated quickly. What works today may not work in 5 or 10 years time. (Almost certainly: Will not work in 10 to 15 years....)

Best wishes

That will be a real challenge for streaming, LP and CD are simple manual replay systems so perhaps you should focus on getting those right as a priority.

The Naim systems do come with a good all fashioned remote that does most things, a matching CD player would make sense to reduce the number of controllers to have to understand. I have experienced this with my mum, a top tip is to have a spare set of batteries to hand always..

Good luck with your journey..
Streaming is relatively simple here. I get spotify on the computers, and simply use the spotify app to play stuff. The BluSound node just does the rest. I don't muck about or organise things much, and so far mrs me has got some practice cdoing this on her laptop. We hope that's how things will continue. Because I never turn the node off, it justs works when required and the sound is quite fine for us. Because nothing needs learning we might stick with this box.

advertisement

Back