advertisement

Stylus force gauge

I remember @Robert had one and IIRC was rather disappointed with it. Apparently it is plastic, not the alloy it appears to be, and I don’t think entirely consistent in measurement. Not something I’d go for at the current second hand value (>£100 IIRC).

I wouldn’t pay that for one either, but there’s a moderately tatty, unboxed one repeatedly not selling on eBay for around half that amount for the last few months and I’m struggling to resist it!

The Technics was quite expensive when new. ISTR about $50 retail over here when released. One could get a DV-10x HOMC for the same amount back then. This was approximately $20 more than a Grado GTE/FTE+ plus a 12 pack of domestic beer (aka trailer park briefcase) and a nickel bag of weed.*

* post installation/consumption of which no one seriously gives a shite how precise one's stylus downforce is.

Last edited:
Another Shure owner here, owned it seemingly forever!

I recently obtained a cheap digi-scale which, once you've successfully zeroed/calibrated it, is very good.

The Technics was quite expensive when new. ISTR about $50 retail over here when released. One could get a DV-10x LOMC for the same amount back then. This was approximately $20 more than a Grado GTE/FTE+ plus a 12 pack of domestic beer (aka trailer park briefcase) and a nickel bag of weed.*

* post installation/consumption of which no one seriously gives a shite how precise one's stylus downforce is.

Speak for yourself!:D

Well for most arms tracking force is applied by some sort of dial & whilst they might not be spot on they are likely to be close for any half decent arm. I lost mine (sure to turn up somewhere - these things don't get used much - especially on a slowly rusting TT) & needed another but couldn't decide what to buy (my last one was a cheapie digital unit) so I bought nought for now & relied on my trusty oll arm with a touch of ear & cartridge specification.
What it says doesn't really matter as long as it's within the cartridge manufacturers range or damn close to it & sounds fine (mine does).

I have one of the Technics jobbies in lovely condition with original box and instructions. If anyone fancies it let me know. I’d want £120 including U.K. Special Delivery. It’s amazingly accurate and very easy to use.

Coincidentally just took delivery of a Shure SFG-2 gauge today. Pretty hard to come by nowadays, by all accounts.

Was fed up with getting erratic results from el cheapo, plasticy digital balances. This thing looks like a proper product, metal & reassuringly old school...
I have a Shure SFG-2, I used to sell them and bought a couple years ago works fine for me!

The Ortofon DS3 electronic balance is the best I’ve used but I haven’t tried many, the Shure seesaw, the Ortofon that came with an Aro and a three digit balance from Audiofreaks with a magnetic pan.
All measured above record height except the DS3 so are only useful for comparison unless your arm has neutral balance. Even the best only gets you to the starting point, then you have to listen after each small adjustment.
The plastic Ortofon with the Aro is nearly useless, maybe if I had better eyes and a Linn mat to remove as per the instructions but I didn’t use my Aro on a Linn.

I got one for £10 from Amazon.
The results matched the results with my local dealers who have a good reputation.

So - excuse my ignorance here - what's all the fuss about?

Just tried my old Shure SFG-2 and it seems accurate. It certainly agrees with the no-name (Chinese) electronic gauge I usually use. Obviously rather more fiddly as you have to do it in multiple stages to find the correct weight, but it certainly works and is more than accurate enough. It is not too high either, I suspect you’d get a pretty accurate playing height reading on most decks (LP12, Rega etc) with the mat off. It is certainly slimmer than most cheap electronic gauges.

PS FWIW I set VTF, anti-skate etc by ear. I only use the gauge to ensure I’m not outside the manufacturer’s range/check nothing has moved if I’ve taken the deck apart for any reason (which happens with TD-124s!). As such I’m not really bothered if it is say 1.62 or 1.66g, I know that is still roughly where I left it by ear! Close enough.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have they stopped making the SFG-2? It wasn’t long ago they were available new for about £40 IIRC.

Bought my SFG2 back in the 90s, pretty sure the beam is nonmagnetic aluminum. Stylus force readings taken with it are 100% repeatable.
Same here.

I've had my Shure SFG2 for about 40 years, it's always been stored in its original packing with instructions and is like new. Just dug it out and tested it with two magnets, and it's definitely non-magnetic.

Not really sure why but I bought one of the cheap Chinese electronic versions off Amazon a couple of years ago and it is remarkably consistent with the Shure so they are either both accurate or both wrong by the same amount, which seems unlikely :)

I don't use either now as my SME 309 can be set up without one.

advertisement

Back