advertisement

Hi Fi world

I too have the excellent Mary Black sampler. It’s a shame HFW has gone but it’s a sign of the times, just not sustainable in print. I wrote a few DIY Supplement articles for Noel & Nick Lucas…but that’s quite some years ago now!
What did you write then?

The "September" issue claims that the "October" issue would (have) appeared on 31st August. (Note: the 'cover dates' are barmy because that's what magazines do these days!)

Yet my newsagent say it hasn't appeared yet and their wholesaler doesn't list it. I didn't find any info with a quick websearch either. So has it appeared or what?

I have had a subscription for about 10 years. I hadn't noticed the October edition hadn't arrived until I read this. My first copy is may 91!
I wish all the staff the best of luck.
Made me chuckle reading the comments that Noel hadn't changed his editorial photo for years and years, but was obviously much older in the annual awards photos printed.
Very sad.

I enjoyed the mag in the first years - particularly their interesting articles on 2nd-hand equipment. They gave comprehensive diagrams of how to create a new arm board for the Thorens TD150mkII; similarly a two page spread on the Leak Troughline tuner - and a segment by one of their contributors who picked up a pair of Quad Electrostats in a furniture shop. Always something interesting in HiFi World.

Yes, I really liked the paper supplements with the vintage reviews ect.

Wasn't it Ken Kessler who concocted those vintage articles. Q

I do remember reading that article where the guy finds a pair of Quad ELS57s in a furniture shop masquerading as a pair of room convector space heaters, heheh.

KK never wrote in HFW I think. Haden Boardman did though. As well as Tim Jarman. Those were the days.
It was after I read an article by an M. Kelly and Noel about the G36 in 1991 that I bought one. It was a 25 year-old machine back then. Mine is still in good order!
The vintage reviews are now in HFN&RR.

Its time was up. It was worth reading in the 90s, for diy a vintage, then it became dull and started reviewing mains connectors. A few years ago a mate bought 2 copies by mistake and gave one to me, it was dreadful. It sat around for while but after a few attempts to read it I gave up in disgust and threw it away.

I still have every issue and supplement since it started. I’m not surprised it’s finished. The reviews were just getting boring. Who wants to read about cheap Bluetooth speakers. The review a couple issues ago about the £130 lenco turntable that only got 2 globes and was spread over 3 pages was a real low point.

Also the quality of the paper used in the magazine must have been expensive compared to other mags.

Ken never wrote for World. The vintage articles were mainly done by David Price, Tim Jarman, Haden Boardman and yours truly.

Since we’ve moved on they’ve mainly been done by Martin Pipe.
Yes i have every magazine in my garage having subscribed for many years. I always enjoyed your input Mr Bloke.

Ken never wrote for World. The vintage articles were mainly done by David Price, Tim Jarman, Haden Boardman and yours truly.

Since we’ve moved on they’ve mainly been done by Martin Pipe.
Still waiting for the Beomaster 8000 review by the way :rolleyes:

The "September" issue claims that the "October" issue would (have) appeared on 31st August. (Note: the 'cover dates' are barmy because that's what magazines do these days!)
The cover date is a compromise because of international distribution. The August issue only appeared yesterday in KL and that is earlier than usual.

advertisement

Back