advertisement

Avondale SE200 Announcement on FB

Sadly Les doesn't seem to be in that "bare board" market any more
I'd e surprised if the only thing available is fully built boards at higher prices

AFAIK with the NCC300, even the fully built boards were not available - only the full upgrade/fitting service, or fully built in an "Audio T" case.

All this was via Simon Hamnett.

Sadly Les doesn't seem to be in that "bare board" market any more
I'd e surprised if the only thing available is fully built boards at higher prices

Ready built modules is the way to go IMO or even a retro fit only service to your existing amp/s.

There is a world of pain and expense for a supplier who has to provide customer support to the DIY community. (As LesW well knows) The fact that these new SE200 and E230 modules have an additional 0V connection would suggest are not suitable for a 'straight swap' into an existing Naim amp but rather the amp be sent to Avondale Audio for the upgrade.

Without doubt the prices will rise. The MJ15003 devices have risen to over £10 each, resistors have doubled in price in many cases and some values are hard to find or lead times are 6 months. Exotic components have sky rocketed in price, wet tants £50 each, a favourite of many a DIYer for the feed back cap and the associated resistors 15kR = £1 per 1K. Then you have to build two and in many cases I now note you have a min order of 5 off.

DIY audio is no longer a cheap hobby IMO (Ive just placed an order for some 'bits' I might need = £160) but saying that theres nothing better than building something yourself powering up and wait for the BANG and smoke.

60mA I was told. I have run at 100mA without issue with a large heat sink, they run warm at that bias.

Just to add...there is no sonic benefit to running at 100mA as I can tell.
Thanks Graham….I suspected it would be in that ballpark, but best to check.

60mA I was told.

Do you mean the true “bias current”, measured across the (presumably) two 0R22 output resistors, or the “idle current”, drawn by the positive rail? These terms seem to get mixed up here.

Do you mean the true “bias current”, measured across the (presumably) two 0R22 output resistors, or the “idle current”, drawn by the positive rail? These terms seem to get mixed up here.

I set up via current drawn through the positive rail…

Here they are built.....Note the Z Foil (RHS of coil)

52356516042_0cf99b684b_b_d.jpg

52357781494_da31099589_h_d.jpg

:):):)

I've been wondering if there were any locations in my NCC300 boards that would benefit from Z-Foils

but what do they sound like?

Sorry to repeat from post 22 sort of.

The SE200 sounds far superior compared to the NCC220 or Qudos or even the NCC300 and thats not just my opinion many who have had the opportunity to trial these amps are all saying the same thing 'amazing'. Theres more low level detail recovery, a cleaner and transparent presentation if you like, as if a veil has been lifted from the front of the speakers. As one listener said thats 'eerie good' when I asked him what he meant he just replied 'realistic... But its also the musicality which is sublime for me. It truly is sonically outstanding.

advertisement

Back