advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

The problem with football is that there will always be a brain dead element who will not respect the minutes silence & it will cause tension & probably fighting. Some will probably start singing anti IRA songs etc....

So we must not deprive the posh boys of their Rugby and Cricket but we must not let the Oiks enjoy themselves . So again I ask how is this a sign of respect when just football is not going on ? Oh and Racing is back on the Sunday .

Government guidance is that no sporting, social, cultural, entertainment, or any other event must be cancelled - that is a matter for the organisers.

But their guidance was they strongly believe that out of respect no sporting events should go on this weekend , that's the take of the MP that handled the briefing . So posh boys sports all carry on as they they knew Madge anyway and it's what she would have wanted . Commoners sport is pressured to cancel and does .

But their guidance was they strongly believe that out of respect no sporting events should go on this weekend , that's the take of the MP that handled the briefing . So posh boys sports all carry on as they they knew Madge anyway and it's what she would have wanted . Commoners sport is pressured to cancel and does .

"Major Events, Entertainment & Sports
There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations. As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the discretion of individual organisations.

If sporting fixtures or events are planned for the day of the State Funeral, organisations may want to adjust the event timings so they do not clash with the timings of the funeral service and associated processions. As a mark of respect, and in keeping with the tone of National Mourning, organisers may wish to hold a period of silence and/or play the National Anthem at the start of events or sporting fixtures, and players may wish to wear black armbands."

Don't see anything there to support your contention that "their guidance was they strongly believe etc."

Other things are more important than football, it’s quite simple.

Agreed. I'm just popping round to Morrisons for some beers.

Racing was abandoned today and off tomorrow. The St Leger at Doncaster - Britains oldest Classic - has been moved from tomorrow to Sunday.

Read what I said the MP whose department this falls under was interviewed on Talk Sport and said that he was going to brief the Sports Representatives to cancel all sport as a mark of respect which he later came on a said he had . So what I said was the case Football being the only Sport to cancel all games including Monday night . Cricket back tomorrow and Rugby playing all weekend and as noted Racing back Sunday so how is this showing respect ?

Oh and the National Period of Mourning is due to last around twelve to fourteen days cancel all sport til the Funeral ?

The best tribute to the Queen would have been the total silence as a demonstration of respect pre-game.

Considering Liverpool's performance during the national anthem at the Charity Shield, would you really trust your fans to pay any respect or tribute, Colin? I think it best to cancel sport for a national period of mourning, whether you are a royalist or not, and i really don't think that some of the posts on here, almost wearing their distain for the Queen as a badge of honour, is very befitting. Being respectful can be attained, regardless of your opinion, and a weekend free of football is a small price to pay.

Considering Liverpool's performance during the national anthem at the Charity Shield, would you really trust your fans to pay any respect or tribute, Colin? I think it best to cancel sport for a national period of mourning, whether you are a royalist or not, and i really don't think that some of the posts on here, almost wearing their distain for the Queen as a badge of honour, is very befitting. Being respectful can be attained, regardless of your opinion, and a weekend free of football is a small price to pay.
I agree.

Regarding the tone of the thread. It's not just this one. There are a lot of very enlightening posts in a number of threads right now. Hard to believe I've been booted out of a couple of threads for responding to months of provocation when you consider some of the posts over the last 24 hours.

Read what I said the MP whose department this falls under was interviewed on Talk Sport and said that he was going to brief the Sports Representatives to cancel all sport as a mark of respect which he later came on a said he had . So what I said was the case Football being the only Sport to cancel all games including Monday night . Cricket back tomorrow and Rugby playing all weekend and as noted Racing back Sunday so how is this showing respect ?

Oh and the National Period of Mourning is due to last around twelve to fourteen days cancel all sport til the Funeral ?
I quoted what you posted and what the official guidance is. What some MP says is neither here nor there, he has no authority in the matter. Other than the FA most sports are carrying on pretty much as normal.

On the plus side it will give that nice Mr Potter more time to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the squad of players he has inherited.:)

advertisement

Back