advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

My partner tested positive for Covid again last week, but thus far I haven't caught it. It's her third time and she has a new symptom for her... finger joint pain and inflammation :( Have to say I got a bit down about it all and took a few days downtime, but woke at 5 this morning and read the last week's updates to this thread and all the links that mainly Gav provides. Have just gone through liking all the relevant posts and have to put my weight (once again) behind the support for Gav here... this thread has been my go to source for Covid news since the pandemic began and it's a shame it's only seen by the pfm readership and not a wider audience as I have learnt so much from it. If the likes of you know who want to pop by and slag it off then we should just ignore them as on balance, this thread is a goldmine of useful and factual information upon which the reader can at least make an informed decision as to where Covid is at and how it might affect them and their loved ones. Gav, thanks once again ... and a shout to all the other useful contributors too.

My partner tested positive for Covid again last week, but thus far I haven't caught it. It's her third time and she has a new symptom for her... finger joint pain and inflammation :( Have to say I got a bit down about it all and took a few days downtime, but woke at 5 this morning and read the last week's updates to this thread and all the links that mainly Gav provides. Have just gone through liking all the relevant posts and have to put my weight (once again) behind the support for Gav here... this thread has been my go to source for Covid news since the pandemic began and it's a shame it's only seen by the pfm readership and not a wider audience as I have learnt so much from it. If the likes of you know who want to pop by and slag it off then we should just ignore them as on balance, this thread is a goldmine of useful and factual information upon which the reader can at least make an informed decision as to where Covid is at and how it might affect them and their loved ones. Gav, thanks once again ... and a shout to all the other useful contributors too.
Well said that man. This post echoes my thoughts on this thread and it's main contributor, Gav. As you say, it's a gold mine of information and I've learned so much too. Long may it continue.

I hope your partner has mild symptom which pass quickly. Good luck to you both.

This is bad news I'm afraid...

"Mounting concern about the long-term efficacy of messenger RNA (mRNA) booster vaccines against coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19)1 has been exacerbated by the recent emergence of the B.1.1.529 (omicron) subvariants BA.2.12.1 and BA.4 and BA.5 (hereafter, BA.4/5) of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), which have high degrees of immune escape."

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2210546

ADE?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.06.28.22276926v3

"There is no discernable optimal vaccine effectiveness among ≥18 years of age, vaccinated third dose population since December 20, 2021 during the beginning of the Omicron variant surge."

The cycle of boost - temporary efficacy (at least for older variants) - rapid waning - new variant seems to kick the proverbial can down the road, if that. A right mess. I don't mind saying I'm concerned.

Government admits 50 firms were in VIP lane for test and trace contracts
Health department had denied Covid testing priority lane but new disclosure lists firms including lab behind false negatives

"The UKHSA disclosure does not reveal how companies and organisations were referred to the priority lane, but it is likely to raise questions about whether the process was similar to the VIP fast track that existed for ministers and senior officials to recommend companies for offers of PPE."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...were-in-vip-lane-for-test-and-trace-contracts

The weekly update. The latest figure is 526 (5/9) down from 602 the week before...

It does look like the rate of reduction is slowing as per model predictions and all previous data.

I checked what Indie Sage had been up to and came across this:

https://www.independentsage.org/weekly-briefing-5th-aug-2022/

Or page 35 (Joint unions’ letter to the Secretary of State for Education) in this link:

https://www.independentsage.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/WeeklyBriefing_2022_08_05.pdf

I have typed the core text below as I was not able to copy the text directly from the pdf file (so there may be typos!):

UNIONS, ASCL, NAHT, NEU, GMB, NASUWT and Unite letter calls on the government to:

• provide additional funding to schools to improve ventilation and support spiralling energy costs
  • provide HEPA air filtration devices to all schools for September as an immediate measure until ventilation is provided
  • make lateral flow tests available for free to all staff and pupils in education settings
  • issue clear public health guidance on what the public should be doing to minimise the chance of infection
  • run a public messaging campaign on vaccination given the very low rates of childhood vaccination
  • publish guidance for schools on face coverings
  • reinstate Covid risk assessments, including for vulnerable workers and pregnant staff
  • re-establish funding for schools to cover supply costs for teaching and support staff absences

Around a year ago I suggested on PFM that I thought that the teaching unions, head teachers and governors should have sent a letter like this and that the Covid risk assessments were quite simply, given the evidence available, not good enough.

I can understand the governors following government policy at the time (I was a school governor for 8 years and I would have voiced my concerns re the risk assessment not being fit for purpose), but the unions should have been doing their own research and putting something like this together.

Pages 24 to 28 where iSage have again equated CO2 level (as it can be easily measured) to Covid risk is a big mistake as they are not the same thing at all. I do appreciate that then becomes difficult as there is no measure to work with. So they should have gone with the science and recommended a heat recovery ventilations system and HEPA filters / ionizers (or equivalent) as that will keep the air much cleaner and safer for all. With the benefit of it being easier to concentrate in rooms so equipped as the CO2 level will have also dropped.

Tiggers hope your partner will be OK and you don't contract it.Your comments about Gav really resonated with me.

I often dip into his CV thread and although I have never posted I always find this thread a huge resource of knowledge and resource to fall back on.

Gav thanks so much for all the effort you put in - I really appreciate it. :)

Well that's the wife just tested positive. She has had cold-like symptoms the last few days and has just tested this morning. Fortunately she works from home. I've been sharing the house with her the last few days and have been feeling a bit under the weather recently although symptoms are mild. I tested myself twice shortly after her positive test and so far I seem to be negative. Time for a bit of self isolation on both our parts :)

Well that's the wife just tested positive. She has has cold-like symptoms the last few days and has just tested this morning. Fortunately she works from home. I've been sharing the house with her the last few days and have been feeling a bit under the weather the last few days although symptoms are mild. I tested myself twice shortly after her positive test and so far I seem to be negative. Time for a bit of self isolation on both our parts :)

All the best brian...

Liz Truss must value science, not fear it

And the chances of that happening, evenly remotely?
Yeah, just what I thought.
It needs a very wealthy science supplier to become a Truss supporter A'La BP shenanigans for it to have a tiny chance.

ADE?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.06.28.22276926v3

"There is no discernable optimal vaccine effectiveness among ≥18 years of age, vaccinated third dose population since December 20, 2021 during the beginning of the Omicron variant surge."

The cycle of boost - temporary efficacy (at least for older variants) - rapid waning - new variant seems to kick the proverbial can down the road, if that. A right mess. I don't mind saying I'm concerned.

I hear what you're saying - we need vaccine 2.0, or other forms of mitigation, but I feel your post is unduly negative. The vaccines were developed very quickly, have proven very safe, and prevented an enormous amount of death and suffering. Omicron would have been Armageddon without the vaccines.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/100596

Unvaccinated adults were over 10 times more likely to be hospitalized for COVID-19 during the Omicron wave compared with those who were vaccinated and boosted, a U.S. population-based cross-sectional study showed.

For the time being I think we just have to get used to boosters every 6-12 months, and be glad that this pandemic didn't happen 25 years ago or more, pre-internet, and pre mRNA vaccine technology.

And the chances of that happening, evenly remotely?
Yeah, just what I thought.
It needs a very wealthy science supplier to become a Truss supporter A'La BP shenanigans for it to have a tiny chance.

Her Dad's a retired mathematician, you'd think she would have a bit of a clue

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) at the weekend approved another bivalent COVID-19 vaccine to target both the original virus strain and the Omicron BA.1 variant. The adapted vaccine, made by Pfizer/BioNTech, is the second bivalent vaccine to be endorsed by the MHRA, following its approval last month of the Spikevax Bivalent vaccine from Moderna...

https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarti...&src=mkm_ret_220909_mscpmrk-OUSGB_DrugDB_MDHC

advertisement

Back