advertisement

Avondale SE200 Announcement on FB

Hello,
Yes,
The two 220 package are the emitter resistors (1% resistors) on the SE 200 boards, this version is with the TO3 package transistor.
TO3 is more and more difficult to find (TO3 are no longer made)

The SE 230 is a TO 220 version and there is two paralleled transistor to have a much better power
The result is outstanding

On the left is the first incarnation of the SE200, a prototype if you like from 1998. On the right the production board today with a new layout and few component and component values changes.

Ozbrit: I suspect he has put SM emitter resistors under the PCB. Correct.

You can see Ive used On Semi MJ15024/25 on the prototype, although using the MJ15003/004's to my ears sounds very slightly superior. I know not why or is it my imagination?

I can confirm the original SE200 amp (left) sounds far superior compared to the NCC220 or Qudos or even the NCC300 and thats not just my opinion may who have had the opportunity to trial these amps are all saying the same thing 'amazing'. It truly is sonically outstanding.

Dependant on rail voltage I think (to be confirmed but lets say 50Vdc) SE200 outputs about 80Watts the SE230 130watts the SE400 200+watts. The 230 and 400 will probably use On Semi TO-247 device but this could change as these are unavailable at present from the usual places.
https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/mjw3281a-d.pdf
still early days though on these latter amp modules.

And for all those asking, yes they will drop straight into a Naim amp.

52314401824_93a115ec08_h_d.jpg

Having a pair of Isobariks which require 10 channels of amplification when the first pair of SE boards arrived I didn't really have a means of trialling them. I did have a pair of Sara9's though so they got dragged out and kind of just plonked in the Hi-Fi Room inboard of the Isobariks without any attempt at Tune Dem.

I played Nils Lofgren's 'Keith Don't Go (Live)' and it was one of those 'jaw dropping' moments in life where you just stare blankly and think "Where the f**k did that come from?" I have played my stereo NCC200 Voyager, a pair of NCC220 M130's and my stereo NCC300 amplifiers into the same speakers and they are, quite simply, not in the same league, that is not to say they are bad just beaten in this instance.

Bear in mind the source is 'only', the headphone out socket of an M1 MacBook Pro as there is no analogue output from the Klimax System Hub............

I am very much wanting to get a pair of SE230's when they become available.

Regards

Richard
Hi Richard

Thanks for the feedback

Well it sounds like these new boards have raised the bar by a considerable margin then. People were saying the same about the NCC300 a couple of years back and my own efforts of converting my NCC220's towards a 300 specification have been very rewarding so I have no reason to disbelieve any of the comments made about the new boards.

But why on earth are you paying your music from the headphone output of a Mac with all that high end kit. Thats like buying a premium German sports car and then never taking it out of central London :). Is your Linn Exact just for a cinema setup (am guessing) with no stereo out?

Cheers

But why on earth are you paying your music from the headphone output of a Mac with all that high end kit. Thats like buying a premium German sports car and then never taking it out of central London :). Is your Linn Exact just for a cinema setup (am guessing) with no stereo out?

There is no analogue out facility on the streamer............... and I don't have 10off SE boards............

Regards

Richard

Are these SE boards usable in a Voyager type config, with front end supplied by VBE etc? I'm just wondering about drop in compatibility for when I inevitably acquire a pair of boards!

Was thinking the same thing, looks like the voltage stage is split with 100R resisters from the outlet so should be possible.

Was thinking the same thing, looks like the voltage stage is split with 100R resisters from the outlet so should be possible.
I have some of the earlier SE230 prototypes. It looks like it might be possible to split front and back. However, from what I understand the SE boards have significantly improved input stage supply regulation, so I'm not sure that you would benefit much from a Voyager-style configuration. I haven't heard anything official, though.

I did chat to Les at NWAS about the SE boards and when mentioning I was currently running Voyager config Qudos his response implied (I think) that there was no need/hadn't been tried, so that maybe answers my question. I was just wondering if anyone on here had tried it. I suppose when I do eventually acquire a pair I'll build something new and compare directly to the existing Qudos.

Are these SE boards usable in a Voyager type config, with front end supplied by VBE etc? I'm just wondering about drop in compatibility for when I inevitably acquire a pair of boards!

Believe me you don't need to faff about with the SE200 boards like the VBE modifications to the NCC200............., just drive them with a 500VA transformer based unregulated supply (although I'm sure a smaller transformer will be more than adequate) and sit back and prepare to be very pleasantly surprised..........

I'm very keen to see what the SE230 will deliver over the SE200's.

Regards

Richard

Believe me you don't need to faff about with the SE200 boards like the VBE modifications to the NCC200............., just drive them with a 500VA transformer based unregulated supply (although I'm sure a smaller transformer will be more than adequate) and sit back and prepare to be very pleasantly surprised..........

I'm very keen to see what the SE230 will deliver over the SE200's.

Regards

Richard
As it happens I have a 500VA 30-0-30v transformer sat here feeling sorry for itself...

Good Afternoon All,

Intriguing statement from LesW on FB in connection with his new soft start module:-

The second model is mono using the SE module along with the HCR200 regulator supplying only the 'front end' of the module.

Regards

Richard

I did chat to Les at NWAS about the SE boards and when mentioning I was currently running Voyager config Qudos his response implied (I think) that there was no need/hadn't been tried, so that maybe answers my question. I was just wondering if anyone on here had tried it. I suppose when I do eventually acquire a pair I'll build something new and compare directly to the existing Qudos.

James, (all) when you do get a chance to compare or a straight audition you will realise that these new SE series of amps are not just a bit better than the NCC their a big step up the sonic ladder, if fact quite a few steps. As of yet I have not felt the need or desire to 'voyager' these SE200s but you could if you so wished. (there is a dropper resistor to the front end).

I'm quite keen for the SE230 or 400.

Just a small point concerning the thicker boards….I took a rather random approach to the build and needed to replace some of the polystyrene caps.
Sucking the solder out of some of the wider holes, such as for the 1nF caps, is a bit of an undertaking.
So it may be better to fit the polystyrene caps before any connected components which may affect on board testing go in.
That way they can be fitted and tested on the board so you can be sure that they have not been fried.
Just waiting for a Farnell delivery and a bit of time to make the aluminium heat spreaders.
Here’s Andy.

Sucking the solder out of some of the wider holes, such as for the 1nF caps, is a bit of an undertaking.

Faced with that type of problem I heat the solder up with the board in one hand and then subject said board to a sharp blow on the work bench..... almost always works to clear plated through holes sufficiently to get replacement components in. If not an appropriate sized drill bit i.e. smaller then the plated hole diameter tidies things up.

Regards

Richard

And if your to generous with the solder a little to much can wick up the component legs. But being careful with the heat and solder application you can get a nice joint. (Both can be seen in the photo good and bad)

and yes the 220uf is in the wrong way round...o_O

52336762125_cd08c3df93_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
One of these is good for component removal from through hole plated and multi pin surface mount chips etc. Don't use it a lot but its great for those days when you need to make life easy....

52341362200_15e86e8d52_k_d.jpg

Apologies for asking a simplistic question but unlike lots adding to this my technical skills and knowledge are very poor . Having retired now for quite some time it is nice to dabble a bit in DIY . I have made my Linn Sara 9's into actives using a MiniDSP DDRC24D and this works really well . As far as i can tell the Avondale SE200 boards are direct replacement boards for Naim amplifiers ? And there is not too much work needed to drop in a new set or at least that seems to be what is being said. Does this mean any Naim Power amplifier could be upgraded in this way and get an uplift in sound quality ?

I fully understand that climbing the Naim ladder with better power amplifiers will probably gain that much more from these boards but there will also be the huge increase in the cost of the amplifier. Could you buy a fairly entry level Power Amp such as say the 140 or 150 and add these ? Is there any other things that would need to be changed ?

This is going to be a little bit of fun for me and I do not want to end spending huge sums so not looking for the ultimate upgrade but would be interested if this would be a somehting that could be done then perhaps added to later ?

Apologies for asking a simplistic question but unlike lots adding to this my technical skills and knowledge are very poor . Having retired now for quite some time it is nice to dabble a bit in DIY . I have made my Linn Sara 9's into actives using a MiniDSP DDRC24D and this works really well . As far as i can tell the Avondale SE200 boards are direct replacement boards for Naim amplifiers ? And there is not too much work needed to drop in a new set or at least that seems to be what is being said. Does this mean any Naim Power amplifier could be upgraded in this way and get an uplift in sound quality ?

I fully understand that climbing the Naim ladder with better power amplifiers will probably gain that much more from these boards but there will also be the huge increase in the cost of the amplifier. Could you buy a fairly entry level Power Amp such as say the 140 or 150 and add these ? Is there any other things that would need to be changed ?

This is going to be a little bit of fun for me and I do not want to end spending huge sums so not looking for the ultimate upgrade but would be interested if this would be a somehting that could be done then perhaps added to later ?

Yes to all the above, other than there is an extra 0v connection but not much else. But in saying that Avondale (Les) has not disclosed if these modules will be available to the general DIY community.

advertisement

Back