advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: V Gone-ish!

Today I've been musing that the Queen has a lethal right hook, and that her saintly self-restraint slipped a little.

John

You are right...

Martin Rowson on Liz Truss meeting the Queen at Balmoral – cartoon

4837.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...z-truss-meeting-the-queen-at-balmoral-cartoon

Instead of “breaking the union” as the saintly EV (the Rees-Mogg of the forum, in my head anyway) puts it, I rather prefer “freeing Scotland from the oppressive yoke of English domination”.

We all understand that EV is concerned for us poor Scottish citizens and only has our best interests at heart in his rants, but we’re all grown up now and can make our own minds up.

Oh, God, Scotland, both perpetrator and beneficiary of the British Empire, and latter-day recipient of £billions of British taxpayer support, adopts the fashionable mantle of victimhood.

It's not merely embarrassing, it's actually a bit cringeworthy.

I'm vaguely (very vaguely) intrigued to know where I'm 'deflecting', or indeed failing to take 'responsibility for my actions'. Strong stuff. You talk as though I alone voted to leave the EU. I'm afraid it took a majority to achieve that.

My own vote to leave the EU was premised upon a fairly straightforward but strongly felt desire for the right to hire and sanction the politicians who set the laws to which I must abide, and spend the money that I relinquish in tax. This process is referred to as 'representative democracy'. For all of its shortcomings, and I willingly admit there are many, I believe it to be very much preferable to the system of unrepresentative centralised technocracy that is presumably your favoured model.

In voting to relinquish the latter for the former there were always going to be consequences, most of them broadly anticipated, some of them not. Most of the unwelcome consequences are set around the unnecessary conditionality of membership of the Single Market upon full compliance with the EU's overarching political project.

An unintended but widely anticipated consequence of a decision by Scotland to leave the Union would be the immediate sacrifice of the disproportionate representation and influence that it currently enjoys within the Union, of a substantial and telling chunk of its public expenditure budget - and the consequent and immediate imposition of perhaps a decade of austerity that would have the potential to make the (EU-induced) Greek debacle look like a picnic - together with the loss of any control over its own monetary policy. Should a perhaps less-anticipated (unintended) scenario of a Putin-fractured and energy-starved EU not be willing or available to pick up the baton, I would suggest that Westminster magnamanity - or at least geopolitical expedience - will need to be available in spades in order to prevent the not-so-independent Scottish government from assuming the position in front of an opportunistic China bearing IED-laden compound interest-bearing gifts.

Unintended consquences indeed. In the harsh light of what we have learned in recent years, if I were a Scottish voter I would be considering my options very carefully.
Now try thinning that garment rending sixth form modern studies essay in the style of Quentin Letts down to a single paragraph and to get any points- remember what the question actually was. Hint:
“The eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson”.

Shouldn't even require a paragraph. The bugger was only in Scotland for an hour.

This article explains a lot about the psyche of the UK electorate. We actually like to be ruled by toff patriarchy.

Now try thinning that garment rending sixth form modern studies essay in the style of Quentin Letts down to a single paragraph and to get any points- remember what the question actually was. Hint:
“The eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson”.

Shouldn't even require a paragraph. The bugger was only in Scotland for an hour.

EV never misses an opportunity to deflect threads on to his favourite subject.

I'm vaguely (very vaguely) intrigued to know where I'm 'deflecting', or indeed failing to take 'responsibility for my actions'. Strong stuff. You talk as though I alone voted to leave the EU. I'm afraid it took a majority to achieve that.

My own vote to leave the EU was premised upon a fairly straightforward but strongly felt desire for the right to hire and sanction the politicians who set the laws by which I must abide, and spend the money that I relinquish in tax. This process is referred to as 'representative democracy'. For all of its shortcomings, and I willingly admit there are many, I believe it to be very much preferable to the system of unrepresentative centralised technocracy that is presumably your favoured model.

In voting to relinquish the latter for the former there were always going to be consequences, most of them broadly anticipated, some of them not. Most of the unwelcome consequences are set around the unnecessary conditionality of membership of the Single Market upon full compliance with the EU's overarching political project.

An unintended but widely anticipated consequence of a decision by Scotland to leave the Union would be the immediate sacrifice of the disproportionate representation and influence that it currently enjoys within the Union, of a substantial and telling chunk of its public expenditure budget - and the consequent and immediate imposition of perhaps a decade of austerity that would have the potential to make the (EU-induced) Greek debacle look like a picnic - together with the loss of any control over its own monetary policy. Should a perhaps less-anticipated (unintended) scenario of a Putin-fractured and energy-starved EU not be willing or available to pick up the baton, I would suggest that Westminster magnamanity - or at least geopolitical expedience - will need to be available in spades in order to prevent the not-so-independent Scottish government from assuming the position in front of an opportunistic China bearing IED-laden compound interest-bearing gifts.

Unintended consquences indeed. In the harsh light of what we have learned in recent years, if I were a Scottish voter I would be considering my options very carefully.

Yes, I thought it would be a bit too much to ask...

Have we observed yet how World King ( abdicated) is ‘helping this new government every step of the way’? Will daddy be there with Mary Elizabeth through an economic shock the likes of which has not been seen in a generation, the industrial action, social strife andthe pound getting junked on the money markets?

I see he also had to open his own car door when he arrived at Balmoral as the monarch’s representatives stood, arms at their sides and waited. Surely the great man deserves greater respect?

Have we observed yet how World King ( abdicated) is ‘helping this new government every step of the way’? Will daddy be there with Mary Elizabeth through an economic shock the likes of which has not been seen in a generation, the industrial action, social strife andthe pound getting junked on the money markets?

I see he also had to open his own car door when he arrived at Balmoral as the monarch’s representatives stood, arms at their sides and waited. Surely the great man deserves greater respect?

You could be forgiven for not remembering that upward of sixty ministers and juniors resigned in a single day rather than carry on with him, it was all a coup.

Shome mistake shurely... Sure. I puke out vast screeds of obfuscating detritus, Nick. You don't

It's what happens when cutting to the chase would mean revealing genuine motivations. That much was clear when asked the simple "how low you would be prepared to allow things to go, before you decided it was a bad idea?" many moons ago. It's been obfuscation and deflection city ever since.

You could be forgiven for not remembering that upward of sixty ministers and juniors resigned in a single day rather than carry on with him, it was all a coup.
He’s a fantasist- his own perceptions of himself are so utterly at odds with those held by others. He is though a very convincing con artist with a susceptible audience. Gets caught, lies about it then moves on. He’ll do it till the day he snuffs it.

He’s a fantasist- his own perceptions of himself are so utterly at odds with those held by others. He is though a very convincing con artist with a susceptible audience. Gets caught, lies about it then moves on. He’ll do it till the day he snuffs it.

Sad thing is that he’s clearly very intelligent.

That Charles Moore clown and another young woman journalist who worked with Johnston at the telegraph were on the today program the other day talking about his legacy and the young woman said Johnston had plagerised an article of hers she said she’d approached him for advice about an article she was writing so she met him for a drink to discuss things and then he published the article the next day in his own name.

He’s a scumbag

advertisement

Back