advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

Yep. So much time wasting, could have played longer.
Yeah Newcastle let themselves down there, after playing so well to start dropping like flies was pretty shameful.
To lose in the last few seconds might make them rethink that strategy and play bloody football instead.

Newcastle played really well, but were wasting time at every opportunity. They were really well organised defensively and played very well on the break, all whilst missing some key players to injury (as are Liverpool). They tired later in the game. Scrappy 3 points for Liverpool, but deserved imho. Liverpool were much better in the second half. Need to stop gifting teams a goal start.

I used to like Newcastle as a side as they often tried to play decent football . They lost out during the Ashley era due to being starved of resources and had to make do and mend . Things with regards ownership have improved and they seem to have some financial support to construct a new side .

So tonight I was truly saddened to watch a display of blatant time wasting and leaving the foot in which was what Bournemouth used to do under Howe so I presume it is his way . Your play against City would frankly have washed Liverpool away tonight as they were still less than impressive . Instead you wasted your teams ability and talent in playing petty games to try and keep your lead . In the end you got what you deserved which was nothing . I would hope that this will prove to be a one off and that you will change back to the team you were against City , but i suspect that this Howe,s real colours and we may well see more of this going forward.

As for the time played it could have been easily another three or four minutes after the whistle went and it would not have made up for the time players spent on the floor or the goalkeeper avoiding kicking the ball . When are referees going to wise up and warn them early when they start and when they next repeat the offence book the keeper nice and early . They have to stop doing it then or risk being sent off .

Just one small point which sort makes Howe's defence of his tactics . He claims that it was just fatigue and there was nothing deliberate , well if that is the case then why did a substitute go down with cramp only less than ten minutes after coming on and to stop Liverpool taking a free kick ? If a professional athlete is suffering from cramp after such a short time then there is something very wrong with his training and condition . Far more likely is that they were all told to slow the game down and fall to the ground as soon as Liverpool built up any momentum .

A wonderful performance by City - truly a joy to watch. Haaland is something else and cannot be given any space or he will destroy teams with his finishing. In Alvarez, who scored two goals last night, we have a talent. To grab him for the fee we paid is a fantastic piece of business and he shows work rate, tenacity, pace and finishing ability with either foot - one with the right and an absolute peach with the left. Great to see John Stones back to fitness because he and Dias is the best central defensive combination at the club, in my view. It was an excellent performance and we are off to a quicker start than usual, mainly because we no longer need to be perfect to score. It was a good decision to take Rodri off - he is so important and has no cover due to Phillips' injury, and also to rest KDB too.

Well done to Gabby on another for Arsenal.

It's Kloppy Time!!
Would never have happened at the other end of the pitch - but hey this is Liverpool at Anfield.
This situation where a ref decides how long he's going to carry on once the added time board has been shown needs to stop and be replaced by some kind of countdown timer system.
We all know that if the ball had gone behind for a goal kick instead of a corner the final whistle would have been blown while the ball was still in mid air from the goalkeeper clearance.
Similarly if a Newcastle player had got a decent clearing header on the corner the whistle would have gone almost immediately.
Marriner clearly decided he was going to see out that last passage of play regardless of how long was left and in doing so deprived Newcastle of a deserved point.

Haaland is (sadly) a monster, his dexterity and body control are like that of a small skillful player, only he's so big!!

Of course you're not going to get unbiased opinions from supporters of the teams involved.
This from the BBC's Chief Football writer:
"Newcastle's attempts to halt Liverpool's rhythm and momentum may have provoked fury from the Anfield crowd and Klopp - leading to some angry exchanges at the final whistle - but there was much in this performance to satisfy manager Howe.
He will rightly state it is not his job to send out a team to play in a manner that will please the opposing manager and supporters, and if this game had ended a few seconds earlier the satisfaction would have been all his."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62655347

And Fabinho was fouling all match and got nothing!

Last edited:
Yeah Newcastle let themselves down there, after playing so well to start dropping like flies was pretty shameful.
To lose in the last few seconds might make them rethink that strategy and play bloody football instead.
Spurs resorted to this last night - That and kicking lumps out of Bowen....They were lucky to come away with a point (and yes, I'm biased;):p)

Just a small point about the time played . During extra time Heaton was down for a supposed injury and received treatment along with the time taken for that and to get the game started again this was timed at 1minute 52 seconds the goal was scored 2min 08 seconds of additional time to time added on so not that unfair or unreasonable . As has been said teams can adopt any tactics they choose in order to unsettle teams and that is their right . Burnley spent year playing attritional football and had some results doing so . From my point of view if as a fan you are content with that then fiar enough . If Liverpool start to play that way and adopt these sort of tactics then my Season Ticket goes and I stop going the game . I want to be entertained and if that is not going to happen then why bother ? The real thing is and I really hope this is not the case if Newcastle continue this against lesser teams and sides they should get results against . Just doing this for so called top six sides has a little merit but not much . Doing it as a normal method of play is different and for me will mean not bothering to watch them play as I used to do with Burnley .

Just a small point about the time played . During extra time Heaton was down for a supposed injury and received treatment along with the time taken for that and to get the game started again this was timed at 1minute 52 seconds the goal was scored 2min 08 seconds of additional time to time added on so not that unfair or unreasonable . As has been said teams can adopt any tactics they choose in order to unsettle teams and that is their right . Burnley spent year playing attritional football and had some results doing so . From my point of view if as a fan you are content with that then fiar enough . If Liverpool start to play that way and adopt these sort of tactics then my Season Ticket goes and I stop going the game . I want to be entertained and if that is not going to happen then why bother ? The real thing is and I really hope this is not the case if Newcastle continue this against lesser teams and sides they should get results against . Just doing this for so called top six sides has a little merit but not much . Doing it as a normal method of play is different and for me will mean not bothering to watch them play as I used to do with Burnley.
Our goalie is Pope and not Heaton.
I've calmed down re the added on added on time and the team needs to play to the final whistle...Howe said we defended the corner poorly. I think there was an argument for putting Botman or Schar (yes our two best CBs were on the bench) on for the last 10mins or so...hey ho.
Did you watch us against Nottm Forest (61% possession and 23 shots to 5)? Or Man City? Or Wolves (64% possession away from home and 21 shots to 10)?
Did you notice Bruno and ASM were out injured? A midfield of Joelinton, Willock and S. Longstaff is good on legs but pretty poor creatively.
What they do allow us to do is press higher up the pitch which Liverpool and Klopp did not seem particularly comfortable with.
We also had one less day of recovery from our last game.
Wilson is another loss to injury and would have started alongside Isak who looks a real prospect but understandably was not match fit (and also got a dead leg). Our subs were Wood and Murphy who are Championship level at best.
It's all very well as a Liverpool fan saying you would not tolerate attritional football but with teams who are beset with injuries to key creative players and generally less blessed with talent (for now) there has to be a level of pragmatism away from home...at Anfield...where we have not won since 1994.

What I will (and shouldn't) say is that Howe spent time at Athletico Madrid watching Simeone when he was between jobs...for a manager who was criticised at Bournemouth for playing attractive football but being a bit of a pushover as far as...game management is concerned this shows a laudible desire to learn from the master.

Spurs resorted to this last night - That and kicking lumps out of Bowen....They were lucky to come away with a point (and yes, I'm biased;):p)
Spurs are awful to watch - everyone behind the ball waiting for the opportunity for a quick break.
It'll probably win quite a few matches but not many friends - strange because Chelsea played some good stuff when Conte was in charge.
I expect you'll get at least a point at our place on Saturday.;)

I always think Spurs are particularly unpleasant and petulant when things don’t go their way. I can think of some shocking challenges made by their players when they’ve been losing.
Saint Kane in particular is guilty of this. Never seems to get punished either.

I made a decision, this year, to focus on my own team and talk about them only, other than to compliment others when they have played well, or on former City players who I hope will continue to succeed. It's good for my mental health.

Our goalie is Pope and not Heaton.
I've calmed down re the added on added on time and the team needs to play to the final whistle...Howe said we defended the corner poorly. I think there was an argument for putting Botman or Schar (yes our two best CBs were on the bench) on for the last 10mins or so...hey ho.
Did you watch us against Nottm Forest (61% possession and 23 shots to 5)? Or Man City? Or Wolves (64% possession away from home and 21 shots to 10)?
Did you notice Bruno and ASM were out injured? A midfield of Joelinton, Willock and S. Longstaff is good on legs but pretty poor creatively.
What they do allow us to do is press higher up the pitch which Liverpool and Klopp did not seem particularly comfortable with.
We also had one less day of recovery from our last game.
Isak looks a real prospect but understandably was not match fit (and also got a dead leg) and our subs were Wood and Murphy who are Championship level at best.
It's all very well as a Liverpool fan saying you would not tolerate attritional football but with teams who are beset with injuries to key creative players and generally less blessed with talent (for now) there has to be a level of pragmatism away from home...at Anfield...where we have not won since 1994.

What I will (and shouldn't) say is that Howe spent time at Athletico Madrid watching Simeone when he was between jobs...for a manager who was criticised at Bournemouth for playing attractive football but being a bit of a pushover as far as...game management is concerned this shows a laudible desire to learn from the master.

Like I said you have played quite a different game in particular against City perhaps and I hope this is the case this just how you saw the best way to play against Liverpool in which case fair enough but in this case in the worst way it did not work . Liverpool have their fair share of injuries as well so sadly no one gives any lee way for that . Watching last night mainly I would suppose because I am Liverpool fan the shameful time wasting was very frustrating and that is probably what Newcastle wanted to achieve , my own view is for me now life is too short to waste on watching rubbish I want to see beauty and talent and if this is how Newcastle will set up for Liverpool going forward then I am not going to watch but find something better to do abd that will include at Anfield I would rather give my ticket away than watch dross.

Having said all that and getting all the phlegm off my chest Liverpools first goal was thing of real beauty and we need to be controlled and do more of that .

@bencat I find it surprising (and somewhat disingenuous, likewise your use of the word "shameful"*) that you are only now considering relinquishing your season ticket for home games against NUFC given that we've been serving up dross at your place for decades. Maybe it's because we did not meekly lie down and take it as has mainly been the case...lots of indignant LFC fans on the net today.
You are indeed in a privileged position I suppose to be watching beautiful football every other week. The privilege is not a birth right.

I look forward to my team playing football from the Gods in the near future...funded by the Devil many will say.

* Salah's diving anyone?

advertisement

Back