advertisement

ESL 57s and Cats

dalryc

pfm Member
I've got a pair of Quad ESL 2912's and a pair of cats.
The cats want to use the ESLs as scratch posts.

I see the ESL 57s come with metal covers.
Are they cat proof?

Yes and no. I can recall a friend who had to keep 'rescuing' his kitten when it would start to climb the front grille and then get into trouble with climbing down again. The claws can get into the grille. I don't think his cat punctured the inner sleeve, though. But I'm not sure if it is safe. I was owned by a cat for years, but stopped long before I got ESLs.

My cats damaged the cloth on my ESL-67's but have not gone for the ESL-57's. Quad supplied me with new grille cloths for the 67's at a reasonable cost, this was some years ago.

Cats are creatures of habit. A tried and tested tactic when introducing new items is to introduce a scratching post first, which they can continue to use in preference to your new sofa, speakers or whatever.
Another possibility is to use stuff that smells horrible to cats. Citrus is a good option as cats hate it but it smells OK to humans. Lemon oil on wood, or just bits of orange peel on the floor, are a deterrent.
Thr only trouble is that, being creatures of habit, once cats have started doing something it can be very hard to break that habit. Pre-emptive action is far more effective.

Cats are creatures of habit. A tried and tested tactic when introducing new items is to introduce a scratching post first, which they can continue to use in preference to your new sofa, speakers or whatever.
Another possibility is to use stuff that smells horrible to cats. Citrus is a good option as cats hate it but it smells OK to humans. Lemon oil on wood, or just bits of orange peel on the floor, are a deterrent.
Thr only trouble is that, being creatures of habit, once cats have started doing something it can be very hard to break that habit. Pre-emptive action is far more effective.

Good suggestions, after I bought a scratching post the cats damaged much less around the house. The late Tiddles was a mild mannered cat, but gave the scratching post what for!

Our cats aren't bothered by citrus, try different types of pepper. That usually works - an open jar and they give it a wide berth.

I've tried pre-emptive scratch posts with a previous pair of Maggie 3.7's without luck, lemon and pepper will look untidy.
I think I'll buy a tardy pair of 57s and try them out.

Is it standard for 57s to come with metal grills?

300525494_2423776024428015_6308373833655125769_n.png

If all else fails, fireplace guards may be a one way of keeping your ESLs safe.

Andy

Thanks - I've thought of that but can't find any big enough to go round them.
Alternatives include chicken wire but it's all getting messy.

I've got them covered normally and I'm generally confined to bookshelves on stands unless I fancy some serious listening and just lock the door of my listening room.

Just don't leave the Sunday roast to rest within easy reach...

Quite so. One of our gorgeous girls, Freckles, was a dab hand at nicking food…..Jerk Chicken from the pot, pizza from the plate, and bread from the counter top were her star performances. She was a badly damaged rescue kitty, who went over the rainbow bridge way, way too young at about five y.o. We hope that we gave her three good and loving years.

advertisement

Back