advertisement

WTD: American pan-head screws with 1mm pitch

eastone

pfm Member
Hi, I’m going round the bend trying to source some replacement screws for an amplifier case.

They appear to be Pan-head Philips Machine screws in a black finish. M3x6mm with 1mm thread pitch.

All the examples I’ve found have 0.5mm thread pitch.

Any idea where I might find these? Or better, does anyone have some lurking in a drawer?

Thanks…

Are you sure that they are bolts/machine screws? Not some kind of self-tap or similar?

M3x1 sounds remarkably unlikely.

M3 x1 is classed as metric coarse, I don't have any so can't help, but search for metric coarse I'm sure you will find, a local industrial nut and bolt supplier may be the way forward?
I often spray paint the head to match

Finding anything but M3x0.5 is difficult, although I can find smaller pitch, and all of the charts that I can find suggest that it is coarse, and 0.35 is M3 fine.

Finding M3x1 in fasteners not intended for nuts is reasonably easy.

It certainly isn't (wasn't) M3 as with no thread left it is around 3mm OD - the minor not major diameter.

No guarantee, but mic' the head - there are tables for standard head sizes.

3/16 thread would have an OD of 4.8mm, which seems far too big. The head is only 6.5-7mm. M4 would be a more likely candidate - minor diameter 3.2mm.

Which could easily make them #10 unc, .190" x 24 tpi ?
I find I need a caliper to measure accurately and then only on a unworn thread

Have you got any that aren`t damaged, to be able to measure more accurately?

If the head is really Phillips rather than Pozidrive it indicates American.

I have some 6/32 pan heads but not in black.

Going by the intact threads at the head end, I think it’s 5/40 (1/8) in outer thread diameter and 6/32 in thread length.

Will take a pic of the head to show the drive type

That head looks to be Phillips.

Scaling as best as I can from the picture it appears to 6/32 thread by 1/4" length. The size of the pan head ties up with the 6/32 screws I have which are 3/8" in length Pan Pozi Zinc and pass.

If these would be of use how many do you need?

I have 6/32 1/2" long countersunk in black.....

Id be tempted to run a suitably sized m3/m4 metric thread through the thin amplifier casing and use new machine screws, but then again I have a drawer full of taps and assorted machine screws, you may not.

That head looks to be Phillips.

Scaling as best as I can from the picture it appears to 6/32 thread by 1/4" length. The size of the pan head ties up with the 6/32 screws I have which are 3/8" in length Pan Pozi Zinc and pass.

If these would be of use how many do you need?

I have 6/32 1/2" long countersunk in black.....

Thanks Barry, I think diameter is 5/40… but will see if I can find the others which may be less damaged, to get a more accurate measurement.

D type connector screwlocks are 4/40 - they will be smaller diameter but the same pitch, if you have one to compare.

Measuring from your image (with the helpful ruler for scale), it appears the thread is 6 threads in 4.81mm

So that's either 31.5 TPI or 0.8 mm pitch.

The diameter appears to be 3.2mm

#6, 32 TPI is by far the closest match I can find (I have a table covering metric, USA, Whitworth and BA)

I note that Canary is American, so that's plausible.

https://www.canaryaudio.com/

advertisement

Back