advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

An old Acurus 250 power amplifier. Recapped three years ago. 250w into 8 ohms. Always liked this one. Great period reviews. Hoping for good things.
Also Sony 222esd. Destined for @Mike P evil clutches!

Not really hi-fi but I couldn't resist this!

mjTDogG.jpg

I used to have one in my DJ-ing days and always regretted selling it. Its a Sound Creations unit (no idea who they are/were) but has LAD GAJ835 turntables rather than the usual BSR/Garrard type. The decks also have auto-cueing and this is huge fun to play with. On my old unit one deck was always a bit hit-and-miss but the other used to get it bang on every time!

They haven't half gone up in price though. I bought the last one on eBay over 20 years ago and was the only bidder - I won it for 99p. This one cost rather more, although @Marchbanks eBay 10% off code was a help - thankyou sir!

I had a big box of MDs and only a basic portable player for them.
Enter an optical out unit that can take advantage of my DAC...

20220804-225903.jpg

A few turntable bits, lower end, are next...

Love those decks @Beobloke ! Back in the early 80s I helped out a DJ friend of mine who had Citronic decks (IIRC) - all in one inc the amp I think! It inspired me to buy a Citronic Trent II - the top of the range with SL1200 decks.
Memories……
Back to the thread…. My latest purchase is a pair of AVI Neutrons from @lawrence001 - waiting for them to arrive . They will go on the end of a vintage Pioneer receiver

AT 33 PTG II finally installed on the SME 20/2a.

Definitely an improvement over the Grado Sonata 2 it replaced even if it sounds a bit "rigid" for now, but then cart and cables (Chord Signature tonearm and phono stage to pre XLRs) are all brand new to say nothing of the phono stage being left off for rather a long time...

Alchris Audio AR4 speakers in oak
Arrived today direct from the lovely Alan Clark in Wakefield.
Absolutely excellent value for money. Beautifully made with tight, fast and punchy bass and great imaging. Would cost at least double if bought through a retail outlet.
Fills a medium room easily and has cured my room boom issues.
Chuffed to bits.

Quad Elite pre to go with the Elite QSP power amp I already had. Sounds great and is 'rich in features' :)

2 SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofers. Definite improvement on the 2 REL T5i’s that they replaced. Integrated superbly using the DSP on my Lyngdorf 1120.

Just ordered some Sonus Faber Sonetto 3s so I will be a right pain in the arse until they turn up in the next week or so. I’m already constantly glued to the SF website, sad isn’t it?

Just ordered some Sonus Faber Sonetto 3s so I will be a right pain in the arse until they turn up in the next week or so. I’m already constantly glued to the SF website, sad isn’t it?
its not sad at all. You are a HiFi enthusiast and so in the right place. :)
I love Sonus Faber. Do report back.

Nordost Stand Mount for my QB8 power block

Bought it ten or so days ago and finally got around to installing it - I mean it did involve lying on the floor to unplug all the mains leads then plugging them back in checking polarity lead by lead (schuko plugs and sockets). The Sort Kones engage very positively with the indents on the Stand Mount. (I use four BC)

I think the hifi sounds better including some images that have migrated a little beyond the outer edges of the speakers (the voice saying "what?" in Wet Leg's "Chaise longue" for example). More air and detail.
Multiple possible causes:
- just unplugging and re-inserting power plugs
- more stable QB8 (three Sort Kones on a smooth underside and stiff power cables don't make for stablility)
- moving the QB8 from the floor to a shelf on the Quadraspire SV3T Bamboo
- replacing the Cardas Golden Ref power lead to the Moon power amp with a Russ Andrews that was a more convenient length. Same for the dCS clock, Cardas GR out, convenient length of Supra Lorad in.

These have made a surprise appearance in our living room. They're brand new so need some 'running in' but they're sounding very nice indeed. Very different indeed from my previously incumbent Raidhos!

Hi Simon G, how are you finding the Zingali speakers? I looked into them a few years ago but did not take it further.

Peter

advertisement

Back