advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

Just gone for the deluxe gatefold with the book. £42 bleedin’ quid by the time tax and delivery is added!

A new Matthew Halsall limited edition EP/ mini album announced today.

The Temple Within | Matthew Halsall (bandcamp.com)

While I'm not quite as convinced about the whole Gondwana catalogue as others here I tend to pre-order everything Halsall does and have yet to be disappointed.

Expecting the vinyl tomorrow, post strike permitting, listening to the download now. As suggested on MH's Bandcamp page it definitely grooves harder than his recent releases. The final track is called "A Japanese Garden in Ethiopia" which has to be the most Halsall title ever :)

Expecting the vinyl tomorrow, post strike permitting, listening to the download now. As suggested on MH's Bandcamp page it definitely grooves harder than his recent releases. The final track is called "A Japanese Garden in Ethiopia" which has to be the most Halsall title ever :)

Mine's in the strike backlog as well. I'm hoping strke + bank holiday doesn't mean its sitting in an unruly pile somewhere.

I'm trying not to listen to pre-orders via Bandcamp to save the pleasure of the first listen for the vinyl copy I've ordered but might give in if I have to wait more than another day of so.

No idea if this is jazz. It might be. It is good and they can count. No Amazin link, as they don’t have the CD, but it can be found at Burning Shed and is a superb recording; big clear and punchy.

It features Yogev Gabay on drums. His YouTube channel is wonderful. Very often counting out Meshuggah songs as someone has to as they don’t come with an instruction manual. Always funny, but here he’s explaining some bonkers reductive math he hid in a track off the Fractal Sextet album:

Tom Skinner releases a first album under his own name next month, Voices of Bishara, made with Kareem Dayes, Nubya Garcia, Tom Herbert, and Shabaka Hutchings.

The opener...

https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/voices-of-bishara

Sounds great - especially the cello. I noticed the vinyl is 45 rpm. I wonder if it's mini LP length.

Probably cheaper for UK residents to order from Tom's Bandcamp - though sadly no coloured vinyl there!

https://tom-skinner.bandcamp.com/merch

The new, in fact as yet unreleased Str4ta album, Str4tasfear (Amazon pre-order) just landed. I managed to snag one of 100 numbered limited white label pre-release copies from Bandcamp (I got #50). It’s a 2x45rpm album and more of the 70s-80s infused jazz-funk we expect from Giles Peterson and Jean Paul “Bluey” Maunick. Funky as a truly funky thing and sounds both retro and fresh. Great fun. There is certainly a ‘sound’ of covid/post-covid London that harks back to 70s and early-80s club grooves, very evident in Kokoroko, Nubya Garcia, Nubian Twist, Emma Jean Thackray etc. I’m liking it a lot. The ‘retro’ thing is like that on say Air’s Moon Safari where you know its ‘retro’, but you can’t pinpoint anything that sounds exactly like it! Learning from and respecting the past without plagiarism.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The new, in fact as yet unreleased Str4ta album, Str4tasfear (Amazon pre-order) just landed. I managed to snag one of 100 numbered limited white label pre-release copies from Bandcamp (I got #50). It’s a 2x45rpm album and more of the 70s-80s infused jazz-funk we expect from Giles Peterson and Jean Paul “Bluey” Maunick. Funky as a truly funky thing and sounds both retro and fresh. Great fun. There is certainly a ‘sound’ of covid/post-covid London that harks back to 70s and early-80s club grooves, very evident in Kokoroko, Nubya Garcia, Nubian Twist, Emma Jean Thackray etc. I’m liking it a lot. The ‘retro’ thing is like that on say Air’s Moon Safari where you know its ‘retro’, but you can’t pinpoint anything that sounds exactly like it! Learning from and respecting the past without plagiarism.

You could add Zara McFarlane and Ezra Collective to that list, but Sons of Kemet feel a bit more radical.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Haven’t seen it mentioned yet, but much love here for the me Comet is Coming album. Amazing stuff, would love to see them live.

I’m liking it a lot here. A bit darker and almost Krautrock approach from a synth perspective in parts compared to the earlier stuff. It is very good.

This early Boiler Room session is incredible. I’d love to see them some time (if I ever go back to going to gigs post-covid).

Been out a few weeks now, but I’ve only just got it: Charles Lloyd’s Oceans, 2nd of his three Trio LPs. Much better than the 1st IMO, really enjoying it.

Yes the first was very good, but this one is really excellent. Took me two copies though to get a good pressing this time though. I’m hoping the third one will be as good.

advertisement

Back