advertisement

Scam warning

Says it was fully tested and working perfectly.:eek:
Unless they try to claim you have removed the internals then surely eBay should ban them.
exactly my thoughts , i've purchased things before and not being happy and put it down to not everyone has the same idea of good condition , I don't like to make a fuss so I just re sell on at a loss my fault , but this is just wrong , it was obvious from the moment I un packed it I was sceptical before purchasing as never answered my questions , id assumed it had been repaired at some point due to lid being wrong way round and bolt badge missing . Maybe they thought it was just tatty never tried it and sold lying about testing it , as clearly don't have the items in stock to test it with , but would have thought anybody would plug something in and check the power comes on especially when the front facia drops of and bolts don't secure . Honestly the worst packaging i've ever seen from a business . I am an honest person and anyone who has dealt with me would know.

These 'top rated sellers' have real shops:
https://www.captainsoflondon.com/
I know that is why I purchased it , even though the item looked sketchy and they didn't answer my questions . Guess ill put it down to experience.
Note someones feedback is not always a good indication as ebay remove the option to leave feedback once a claim has been put in . I did contact them before requesting through ebay direct but got no response . Some of their feedback is bad like the one with damaged tv that was supposed to be new was clearly used and damaged due to bad packaging , so i'm not the only one they have lied to . This post it more to warn others if you buy from them collect in person and test the item . But avoid if possible !!!

I know that is why I purchased it , even though the item looked sketchy and they didn't answer my questions . Guess ill put it down to experience.
Note someones feedback is not always a good indication as ebay remove the option to leave feedback once a claim has been put in . I did contact them before requesting through ebay direct but got no response . Some of their feedback is bad like the one with damaged tv that was supposed to be new was clearly used and damaged due to bad packaging , so i'm not the only one they have lied to . This post it more to warn others if you buy from them collect in person and test the item . But avoid if possible !!!
They're pawnbrokers. They probably took it in as what it was described as, and moved it on as the same. They probably have no more idea of what it should have looked like, or felt like, than I have about bee-keeping. It may be that they've been had, and sold it on the basis of what they were told. Or they may have just looked for a mug to pass it on to. Of maybe just a junior staff member dealt with it. Or they may be crooks. Either way, a useful warning to avoid.

I have been refunded
Maybe just a mistake on their behalf but if it says tested it should be tested .
I have to add I would never buy from them again on the packaging alone it was shockingly bad .
On the plus side they apologised and refunded me , still not a good day yesterday dealing with this , from a private seller with low feedback I would expect this but not from a business , anyway all sorted .

Can't say I like that there are no consequences to them for this....
In fairness they refunded me not ebay , had they not by the 1st sept ebay would have stepped in . Has been a bad experience but fair outcome I hope they take more care in future and actually test their items , they still need to learn how to pack things .

exactly my thoughts , i've purchased things before and not being happy and put it down to not everyone has the same idea of good condition , I don't like to make a fuss so I just re sell on at a loss my fault , but this is just wrong , it was obvious from the moment I un packed it I was sceptical before purchasing as never answered my questions , id assumed it had been repaired at some point due to lid being wrong way round and bolt badge missing . Maybe they thought it was just tatty never tried it and sold lying about testing it , as clearly don't have the items in stock to test it with , but would have thought anybody would plug something in and check the power comes on especially when the front facia drops of and bolts don't secure . Honestly the worst packaging i've ever seen from a business . I am an honest person and anyone who has dealt with me would know.

That's eBay if they can get away with it they will. Probably took one look at it didn't know how to test it as probably not sure what it was & just chucked it on eBay & hoped for the best. I note collection was an option so maybe they were truly blind.

OAN I bought a Fleetwood mac vinyl LP which was supposed to be a 180GM audiophile pressing but what turned up was a real tatty old cover standard pressing. We had strong words back & forth. Refund wasn't forth coming despite the apology & when I threaten to pop round any trace of his membership vanished. Clearly got scared.
So I lost out on that one but luckily said amount was small.

Looks like spending some time reading through the posts on this thread prior to selling ones stuff is a pre-requisite. Due diligence is a necessary precaution these days. Starting on the most recent and working my way backwards is quite illuminating, to say the least.

I was all set to order a Pontus II for delivery to my French address, at a quite attractive discount to the UK price.
But I made an enquiry about delivery first, and the email address that came back is in the same format as all the phishing email in my spam folder.
So I think I'll pass.

Re: You got a new lead on DENAFRIPS EUROPE!
50x50_wix.png

SCAM WARNING: ADORABLE XPRESS

I dealt with what I thought was a genuine PFMer at the weekend regarding a Target TT Wallshelf. All seemed OK until I got an email from Adorable Xpress. The upshot is they are wanting 320 euros to release the item from customs in Turkey. This is clearly a scam.

It may be the PFMer is genuine and a victim in their own right, but somehow I think not. They made out they were UK based but the shipping documents gave an address in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Paypal are useless but I hold out hope with my credit card company.

I have bought and sold on PFM many times over the years and I feel so embarassed to have been caught out like this.

Please name the seller as it could be a man in the middle style con.

No need to worry, you can just file an item not delivered with paypal in a week or so.

There is no member of that name. Please only name any scammers using this site.

PS As ever just do not enter into any classifieds dialogue with <50 post provisional members, let alone zero post newbies.

The way this scam works is someone apes a recognised forum member, just a letter or number different in the account name, and then tries to pass themselves off as that member. Obviously their post count is non-existent so this can still be detected. Always check the post count!

In this case pfm Dubster67 is a perfectly legitimate member, they will have no knowledge of any of this. Dubster7 a scam account (now banned) that even went as far as using a fake email address alluding to be Dubster67. It is a scam.

I have tried to warn people never to deal with anyone who has less than 50 posts. Just report any approaches and I will delete that user account. I don’t know how I can do anything else. I can not protect a free service against this sort of attack short of just closing down the whole non-Trade classifieds area. I can’t administrate it as it is a loss-leader. It does not pay for my time. If things progress to the point pfm starts to get a reputation for scams this is exactly what I’ll do.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I just received an e-mail supposedly from [email protected] saying that someone called crankshaft7 replied to my wanted post and wanted my address etc. There is no pm in my inbox and crankshaft7 appears not to exist, presumably someone is phishing? They have my e-mail address and phone number so maybe the pfm site has been hacked??

FF

Got a scammer responding to my wanted ad yesterday - sending me old photos from Reverb.com and trying to pass off as their own item. They must be lurking! beware :(
Tony deleted their account.

I just received an e-mail supposedly from [email protected] saying that someone called crankshaft7 replied to my wanted post and wanted my address etc. There is no pm in my inbox and crankshaft7 appears not to exist, presumably someone is phishing? They have my e-mail address and phone number so maybe the pfm site has been hacked??

FF

Sorry, missed this. Yes, I deleted the scam account.

PS I’m in a real dilemma what to do here. I could hide the whole room so no one with less than 50 posts can see anything at all. That would kill these scams stone dead, but doing that would seriously impact the site’s google reach and cost me £hundreds a year in advertising that I can’t really afford to lose to be honest. It is really pissing me off.

Is there no way to let the room be visible, but bar posts to the threads for <50 users? I know they can't start threads, but they can post on existing threads.

advertisement

Back