advertisement

Premium diesel? Additives? Neither?

I think driving to the speed limit on motorways might be safer for both yourself and the HGVs you are presumably forcing to overtake you
He says he does 65 on the motorway, as shown in your quote. HGVs aren’t permitted to travel at 65mph.

I think driving to the speed limit on motorways might be safer for both yourself and the HGVs you are presumably forcing to overtake you

From what I’ve observed, HGVs are mainly in the middle lane, driving badly.
Only feet from each other at 70 + mph.
Appalling driving.

In answer to your suggestion, I sometimes reach 70 mph, but rarely.

To be honest, what with lorry drivers, and Audi drivers driving incredibly close and swerving from lane to lane I think I’m the more sensible driver.
And safer.

Many drivers are exceeding the limit, driving too close and very dangerously.
I stay in the inside lane and away from trouble.
There’s a hard shoulder to get out of trouble in.
But not for ever, it seems.
Crazy idea, smart motorways !

thats interesting , i can tell immediately if i put 95 or 99 octane in. The 99 makes a very big difference

99 liberates more energy per cycle than 95 or lower which equates to slightly better MPG.

IME, the cost per mile is roughly the same so, unless your car needs 99, it's not worth the extra.

99/98 vs 95 very much depends on the engine. Mine will run optimally on 99 and change the mapping if it detects 95 on which it runs fine though a tiniest bit less responsively.

Appalling driving.

To be honest, what with lorry drivers, and Audi drivers driving incredibly close and swerving from lane to lane I think I’m the more sensible driver.
And safer.

I think your speedo needs calibrating.

Appalling driving.

And safer.

Lorries in the UK can't get to 70mph. They have speed limiters.

99 liberates more energy per cycle than 95 or lower which equates to slightly better MPG.

IME, the cost per mile is roughly the same so, unless your car needs 99, it's not worth the extra.

Actually, the energy content is the same; it's just that the higher octane allows more ignition advance/ higher boost (on turbocharged engines) before the detonation limit is reached. That may, or may not, mean more hp output by allowing Mean Best Torque ignition timing to be approached.

For very, very , very many cars - it does not; they are mapped to run on 92 up to 95 RON by default (UK numbers). More octane, therefore, yields no improvement. The engine management cannot take advantage of it.

However - things have been muddied by the change a year ago to 10% bioEthanol in '95' grade fuel (which I think idiotic. Scope behind that thought, far outside this thread). And so , for some, perhaps even many cars , for which manufacturer has said '..oh E10 is just fine.. the day to-day reality may be different.

( I have one such. 92RON+ fine, handbook recommends 95, up to 98. But it idles like crap on E10 '95', esp in cold weather; noticeably very much more recalcitrant to perform as it should overall, too. Sainsbury's E5/ 97 - oh, that's great... and yep, pence/L diff easily recovered - though worth it anyway!)

Actually

A few years ago I dug into the facts about super unleaded, and found that Shell Optimax (yes, a long time ago) did have a higher energy content.

I put E10 in my wife’s car…the engine was really quite rough. In my car it’s fine. We only do low mileage so using expensive petrol isn’t the end of the world.

Actually

A few years ago I dug into the facts about super unleaded, and found that Shell Optimax (yes, a long time ago) did have a higher energy content.

but bobbins comp/with say, diesel, which is 10% /litre better than petrol via its nature (36 vs 39MJ/l , in round numbers)

Calorific value - the high performance/high value petrols do differ, but the difference in energy content is tiny compared with 1) what it takes, to take advantage of it; 2) more energy-dense fuels intrinsically (diesel being about 8% better by volume.

Oh - where's Rana when you need him ;)

atb.

I drove diesels from 2006 to March this year.

I definitely prefer driving a petrol.
I definitely prefer refuelling without the diesel smell.
I definitely prefer reversing into my garage without the diesel fumes lingering.
I don’t miss the sound at all.
I like being able to use 6,000rpm.

My diesels had their use, but I’d have been an idiot to buy one this year instead of the petrol, taking into account my usage.

IMHO, fuel additives like Redex have a placebo effect.

My Arteon predominantly uses supermarket fuel. It's ok but not great sounding. Each supermarket's fuel is variable.

The car feels like it is "holding back" when I use Morrison's fuel.

It also feels the same with Costco fuel, but oddly, on my typical and never changing route, gave 3mpg more than the others.

I now tend to do this. I put half a tank full of Shell unleaded as a flush.
The 5th fill-up us then a full tank of Shell V power.

The difference is startling. There is much more performance, slightly better mpg and the engine is much smoother.

I don't use the Z4 much but when it has V power in the tank, performance is increased.

All engines have a knock sensor so make an adjustment to fuel timing based in the fuel RON.

On the subject of fuel tanker drivers added certain detergents/additives to the fuel at collection, this is true.

I'm an ex engineer from Gulf and when the Shell driver would collect, they did this.

The Redex type additives IMHO, do very little. I think 5th Gear did a test and found no difference. YouTube has it I believe.

Lorries in the UK can't get to 70mph. They have speed limiters.

So that’s a good idea then, as one creeps past another ?

That is one of the most dangerous events on the motorway, as the two lorries effectively block
two lanes.

Someone mentioned my speedometer may need re-calibrating.
I stay below 70 mph because that is the official speed limit.

I’m one of the very few people, it appears, that actually sticks to speed limits,
whether it’s 30 mph or 70 mph.

On motorways I see Audis, BMWs, etc. travelling at well over the limit.

Someone mentioned my speedometer may need re-calibrating.
I stay below 70 mph because that is the official speed limit.
Firstly, if you are driving below 70mph, how have you formed the impression that lorries travel above 70mph?

Secondly, lorries in the UK are required to be limited to 56mph. That's a lot less than 70mph and it's quite difficult to mistake 56mph for >70mph.

The above is why some doubt has been expressed about the accuracy of your speedo.

And when they’re caught, they’re hit heavily by the court.

I’ve done a lot of miles on the M25 and M11 since March. I’ve never been overtaken by a lorry, and I tend to travel at or near the speed limit.

advertisement

Back