advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

This is good from Frances Ryan:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-money-tree-tory-line-labour-keir-starmer-tax

tl;dr: Even if using this attack line brings short-term tactical gains, it is strategically disastrous to the prospects for progressive change.

Incidentally, this is a good illustration of why it's essential to promote better understanding of the economy in terms of MMT (or even bog-standard Keynesianism would be a huge leap forward for many).

Meanwhile, is the Labour Party about to change its name...

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1555821162722197505

... to the High Net Worth Donor Party?

Not sure that has quite the same ring but I'm sure the grown-ups who are back in charge know what they're doing.
Yeah I don’t think any of this makes even tactical sense. It’s really not popular. It’s a matter of pure dogma: they really like limited public spending and they really don’t like unions.

Although in fairness it does suit the long term strategic interests *of this particular faction* for the party to be tied to low spending and billionaires, even if that’s a suboptimal electoral strategy. As ever it’s not just that these people are thick and unpleasant: they’re pursuing their particular interests. It’s sometimes hard to recognise that because the popular critical *and* positive take on Blairites is that they want to win power at any cost. They don’t really: they want to consolidate their power within the party and being in government is a secondary concern.

I know you know all this by the way it’s just a general rant.

Yes. The Magic Money Tree is a monetarist argument. It is one of the lies that underpin the monetarist dogma that there is no alternative. MMT is no more than an observation of the real world that says that there *is* an alternative. What ks more, it is not even very radical, it just says that with an appreciation of where money really comes from, there is an alternative. Monetarism is a lie that says that there is no alternative to cuts to the NHS, austerity, authoritarianism, unemployment, low wages, uncontrolled inflation, economic shocks and widespread misery.

If people do want an alternative, perhaps they should take another look at that alternative before they dismiss it so angrily.

If people want to stick with monetarism, then own it for what it is.

TINA is a lie
It hasn't been dismissed 'angrily'.

Rome burning whilst the Tory party fiddles . Brown making the case for more government intervention in the cost of living crisis and Labour too. From todays Grinder:

With pressure growing for action, senior Labour sources have confirmed to the Observer that the party is preparing to back a key intervention designed to curb the winter crisis, in addition to the removal of VAT on energy bills that it has already supported.

The Mail, and other right biased news, are hostile to Sir Keir.
Makes you think, doesn't it?
Does it though. They’re pretty hostile to Sunak too and this is not evidence that he’s a social democrat or a threat to Tory rule.

Mark Francois has > 50% support in his constituency. CHAOS.

Next door to me. I don't know for sure but it may well have been his hatred for travelling folk that gets him such a percentage as I'd be pretty sure all his constituents are racist knuckle dragging tools aswell. At least half of them, anyway.

The Daily Mail and the Corbynistas share a bed...

Careful ... these days it's hard to differentiate between truth, irony, gags, hubris, hypocrisy, BS, etc.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-487796/How-Queen-charmed-pants-Confessions-old-Leftie.html

Screenshot-2022-08-10-at-13-25-44.png

Silly Billy!

advertisement

Back