advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

VERVE 05-Aug Count Basie April in Paris 1LP

April In Paris was one of the earliest albums to be released on Norman Granz’s new label, Verve Records. Basie plays organ and piano, and the rhythm section of Eddie Jones on bass, Sonny Payne on drums and Freddie Green on rhythm guitar drive the whole album with restrained intensity. The album helped reconnect jazz lovers with one of the finest bands of the swing era, yet there is nothing retrospective about April in Paris; it is alive with vitality, elegance, sophistication, and modernity.

VERVE 05-Aug Sonny Rollins On Impulse! 1LP

The first of Sonny’s albums for Impulse!, this 1965 collection was arguably the tenor hero’s best for the label, an intense, freewheeling set with the tenor sax master attacking five standards and in the process producing some of his most intense performances on record. Taped at the Van Gelder Studio in one marathon session on July 8th 1965, this electrifying Impulse! Records debut also featured Ray Bryant on piano and Mickey Roker on drums.

VERVE 05-Aug Keith Jarrett Treasure Island 1LP

Treasure Island, released in early 1974, was the second of two albums pianist and composer Keith Jarrett recorded for Impulse Records. The band consisted of Jarrett on piano and soprano saxophone, Dewey Redman on tenor, bassist Charlie Haden, and drummer Paul Motian. In addition to the quartet, guitarist Sam Brown contributes to a pair of cuts here as Guilherme Franco and Danny Johnson add percussion to the mix.

VERVE 05-Aug John Coltrane A Love Supreme 1LP

Easily one of the most important records ever made, this was Coltrane's pinnacle studio outing that spoke of his search for spiritual and musical freedom, as expressed through polyrhythms, modalities, and purely vertical forms. Recorded at Van Gelder Studios, it became an instant best-seller and received a Grammy nomination. It remains one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and in 2021 was certified platinum by the RIAA for sales of 1 million albums in the U.S. The achievement garners Coltrane his first-ever platinum record and is the first jazz album of the 1960s to receive platinum status, underscoring its enduring legacy and importance.

VERVE 05-Aug John Coltrane Ballads 1LP

Ballads is a special Coltrane masterpiece and consistent best-seller, recorded in December 1961 with Coltrane’s classic quartet—pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Jimmy Garrison, and drummer Elvin Jones—. When asked why such an undertaking, Coltrane replied, "variety." The recording captures the famed John Coltrane Quartet in a performance of timeless ballads.
Coltrane was one of jazz's greatest ballad players, and his lyrical gifts are in sharp relief here.

VERVE 05-Aug John Coltrane Coltrane 1LP

Initially overlooked in the music press, on its original 1962 release largely due to uninformed musical criticism of Coltrane’s performances with fellow saxophonist Eric Dolphy at the Village Vanguard the previous year, Coltrane’s eponymous album has since come to be known as a piece of art as definitive as he ever produced.
Personnel: John Coltrane, tenor sax; Elvin Jones, drums; McCoy Tyner, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass.

I take it these are represses of the regular Impulse LPs, not the Acoustic Sounds series?

I’m not sure where @mikechadwick got this list. Mike perhaps you can post a link.

I can’t see some of these in the Acoustic Sounds store. E.g Keith Jarrett - Treasure Island.
Only 2 ( ALS & Ballads) were on the last list of the AS Verve Series for 2022 , so possible as repressing. Given the current delays to the AS series ones I can’t see a new being released as AS Verve this year.

Have AS said anything anywhere about ‘Coltrane’? I’d really like a nice vinyl copy of that one.

I’m really looking forward to the Pharoah Sanders too. Definitely up for that one.

I’m not sure where @mikechadwick got this list. Mike perhaps you can post a link.

I can’t see some of these in the Acoustic Sounds store. E.g Keith Jarrett - Treasure Island.
Only 2 ( ALS & Ballads) were on the last list of the AS Verve Series for 2022 , so possible as repressing. Given the current delays to the AS series ones I can’t see a new being released as AS Verve this year.
These aren't Acoustic Sounds, regular 180g represses apparently

I have just got around to playing the latest AS Verve Mono Ella & Louise release and it is superb. It is so well recorded that I suspect most releases sound good. I have two different CD versions and briefly had the DeAgostini LP, but returned that as a noisy pressing and failed to get a replacement. Although quite good this copy totally blows these away as far as sound quality goes. First to note this is a totally flat and noise free pressing even in the ‘dead wax’. I think QRP is exceeding the Tone Poet RTI releases in this respect these days. The Tone Poets are not in anyway bad or a problem when the music is playing, but they they now seem a little less consistent with regard to the noise apparent in the ‘dead wax’ areas.

My first thoughts after only a few seconds in was this in this version even though mono, is the most accurate and realistic reproduction of voices I have had in my room although I have some others that are very good. @gavreid noted that some people were claiming the AP 2x45rpm in comparison was better and I had seen some comments on the Hoffman Forum and by Michael 2x45rpm Audiophile saying this. There is some sense in this in that both sides on this 33.3rpm are over 25 minutes long, which is pushing the limits more than a bit for with regard to distortion particularly on the innermost tracks. What I was not seeing anywhere was if they were playing with a stereo or a dedicated mono cartridge.

I don’t have the AP 2x45rpm so it is true it could be better, but I was a bit intrigued so as the pressing was so quiet I decided to play it with both. I can hear no real difference in noise levels, the usual main gain from playing with a mono cartridge, but I am hearing very worthwhile improvements in sound quality, somewhat along the lines of what some of the people are claim on Hoffmann about the 45 over the 33. Even though the side lengths are long I can hear no distortion on the inner most tracks for instance with Louise’s Trumpet towards the end of Tenderly on side one with either cartridge. What I do hear when played with the mono cartridge is a greater tonal richness and presence on both voices, particularly Ella’s and much greater presence and the realistic ‘Blat sound’ of Louise’s horn. More depth to the sound stage and a bit more bass that particularly add body to Peterson’s piano and Herb Ellis’s Guitar. Buddy Rich’s drum kit though well towards the back and retaining the subtlety also sounds clearer especially his brushes on the snares. So while I don’t know if the 2x45rpm would not be better still on my system this may account for some of the differences being claimed. Confirms to me at least that there are real benefits from a mono cartridge beyond just improved noise levels.

For info Cartridges are Stereo - Ortofon Cadenza Bronze mounted in an SME V and Ortofon Cadenza Mono in my L-07D turntables own arm. Both cartridges were chosen because they were likely to have an overall similar tonal balance. There is a slight difference in tip profile.

Hope this has not been too boring. I thought it might be of interest to some particularly those running both mono and stereo cartridges.

For info Cartridges are Stereo - Ortofon Cadenza Bronze mounted in an SME V and Ortofon Cadenza Mono in my L-07D turntables own arm. Both cartridges were chosen because they were likely to have an overall similar tonal balance. There is a slight difference in tip profile.

Hope this has not been too boring. I thought it might be of interest to some particularly those running both mono and stereo cartridges.

That's great and not boring at all Jim - I was going to ask about your mono cart, I'm going to experiment with my own in a pimped Planar 3 quite soon.

I played mine with my normal XX2 in the Well Tempered. I didn't hear any distortion at all. My copy isn't quite flat but it's not too far off - the best I've had so far is the Ella Christmas album but I need more time with the Louis.

That's great and not boring at all - I was going to ask about your mono carts, I'm going to experiment with my own in a pimped Planar 3 quite soon.

I played mine with my normal XX2 in the Well Tempered. I didn't hear any distortion at all. My copy isn't quite flat but it's not too far off - the best I've had so far is the Ella Christmas album but I need more time with the Louis.
What I forgot to add that is that while Louise’s voice has greater presence and richness, interesting how it emphasises some of his pronunciation choices with the mono. I love “Paaaris” in April In, there is a slight downside in that the sibilance on his voice is a bit more apparent, but this is the only downside I can hear. I think this the nature of the recording and his closeness to the mike. I doubt they had a ‘Desser’ in the recording chain then. No sibilance on Ella’s voice though that sounds really beautiful. Shoes how good The Neumann U47 Mike’s were for vocal recording. No wonder Frank Sinatra had is own that he took around with him.

Have AS said anything anywhere about ‘Coltrane’? I’d really like a nice vinyl copy of that one.

I’m really looking forward to the Pharoah Sanders too. Definitely up for that one.

"Coltrane" looks to be available now on general release. I think I shall go for it when I see it.

"Coltrane" looks to be available now on general release. I think I shall go for it when I see it.
There are standard Verve reissues of ‘Coltrane’ around including a 1997 and one from 2022, but is it not part of the AS Verve reissues scheduled for release in 2022 and doesn’t seem to be part of the Impulse 60th Anniversary releases. Price seems to be around £20. It maybe good enough Pressing, but a case of ‘suck it and see’?

I assume you mean the 1962 Impulse Coltrane Quartet ‘Coltrane’ and not the 1957 Prestige Coltrane. I have the 1963 UK (Impulse HMV) Issue so I’m good on that one.

It would have to be something special to be worth it. The current ‘Impulse Originals’ are very good IMO. I actually let a ‘97 copy of ‘Coltrane’ go in the shop a good few years back as I preferred the CD (yes, that happens!). I’d buy an Acoustic Sounds copy though.

Yes, they really should do 'Coltrane'. None of the reissues I know have got it quite right, although the 80s Japanese are pretty good. I actually think the cheap 80s Jasmine pressing is the only one that has the horn forward enough on 'Out of This World'. It's the track that got me obsessed with Coltrane and has always been a favourite.

I'd love to see a decent new pressing of Coltrane's 'Ole': the ORG 2 x 45 mono is meant to be good, but I can't abide the idea of it splitting the title track over two sides. All recent pressings are DOL/Waxtime nonsense.

I'd love to see a decent new pressing of Coltrane's 'Ole': the ORG 2 x 45 mono is meant to be good, but I can't abide the idea of it splitting the title track over two sides. All recent pressings are DOL/Waxtime nonsense.
Check out the Rhino Reissue - not expensive. Haven't played it for a while but I seem to remember it sounding pretty good.

Check out the Rhino Reissue - not expensive. Haven't played it for a while but I seem to remember it sounding pretty good.

Mike - I found the mono Rhino version a bit muddy, especially the tracks with two basses. Stereo versions portray the basses with much more detail to my ears. My preferred reissue is the Heavyweight Champion CD, which I think is hard to beat. I also have the MOV LP reissue from about 10 years ago, which if memory serves sounded a bit flat and hissy. Considering the Atlantic master tapes are believed to have been lost in the Feb 1978 fire, Atlantic Coltrane reissues are always going to be a tough call IMO.

I think that is the same mastering as the one in the Atlantic Mono Box Set I have. It is very good, but the who.e box set has become quite pricey now.

I’ve got The Heavyweight Champion box for all the Atlantic Coltrane. It’s good enough though I know it can be beaten. If I really wanted to collect that period I think my cost-effective target would be early to mid-70s US Atlantic. I’d not care about the label colour or address, any are fine, and all are obvious well before the fire that wiped-out so many masters. I’ve mentioned before I compared one of these (Blues) against the Heavyweight Champion and preferred it and they shouldn’t be too spendy. They were just mid-priced ‘70s albums. I’ve got a few of other Atlantic artists, e.g. Coleman, Mingus, and they sound great.

advertisement

Back