advertisement

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

Yes, there seems to be a presumption on the part of some on this thread that the driver is always at fault, and the cyclist always the victim. This 'them and us' thinking isn't conducive to improving matters, any time soon.
The major difference between the two revolves around vulnerability and capacity to do harm to others. I see illegal behaviour and complete disregard for others by cyclists on a daily basis when I walk around this city. It’s considered the norm by the majority I see to now use the pavement, go through red lights even with pedestrians crossing and other crazy stuff like going down one way streets in the wrong direction. E-scooters are even worse.

Thanks for clarifying. That decision is not made without recourse to a set of guidelines, including how to assess if the driver was criminally negligent or deliberate in their actions etc. That will only be taken up by fully weighing up the entire set of facts, which you probably aren't privy to.
I get that there is a burden of proof but I cannot believe a driver can go without some penalty. A give way sign is just that. The entire justice system seems tilted in their favour but according to a fair few on here it is cyclists who need to be clamped down on.

I’m still waiting for the predicted Armageddon that e-scooters were supposed to bring. They had them in Portugal, never saw a single incident the whole time I was there, I suspect that once the novelty has worn off they are seen as a simple utility.

according to a fair few on here it is cyclists who need to be clamped down on.

regardless of due process and sentencing - is it fair that that cyclist who kills another road user can get a max custodial sentence that is way less than that could be inflicted on a car driver?

Surely that is putting the max punishment for the same offence (killing someone on the road/pavement) on a par with each other? Maybe we should reduce the max sentence for a driver down to that of a cyclist (or other road user) now that would be fair as well.

I live in a rural village & we get many Lycra clad cyclists flying through our village & the surrounding villages.
They approach without caution & will even cycle around you at high speed when using the zebra crossing.
They are extremely dangerous.
Most of them are not from our villages but turn up from all over the country in their cars which I can only assume they also drive with gay abandon.
They also litter the countryside with their disposable drinks, food wrappers etc.

I get that there is a burden of proof but I cannot believe a driver can go without some penalty. A give way sign is just that. The entire justice system seems tilted in their favour but according to a fair few on here it is cyclists who need to be clamped down on.
A give way sign is a sign which indicates that there is no need to stop if the way is clear. If a driver assesses the road conditions and judges that the way is clear to proceed, they don't need to stop (a Stop sign is different in this regard, and is commonly used when there are hazards, or poor sight lines at the junction). If the driver's assessment turns out to be mistaken, perhaps there's a cyclist who wasn't seen for whatever reason, then an accident may happen. It's not called an accident for no reason. If the driver is negligent or reckless, then yes, they should be punished, but if it's a genuine accident, borne out of human frailty or honest error, then IMHO punishment isn't warranted, regardless of the consequences of the event.

Police not interested
In the same way that a red traffic light means stop and applies to all users but almost all cyclists ignore them and never get any penalty. Feel free to justify your selective reasoning.

I have also lost count of the times I have been waiting at a junction for a cyclist who has the right of way, only to see them just turn off with no signals or regard for any other road user.

A give way sign is a sign which indicates that there is no need to stop if the way is clear. If a driver assesses the road conditions and judges that the way is clear to proceed, they don't need to stop (a Stop sign is different in this regard, and is commonly used when there are hazards, or poor sight lines at the junction). If the driver's assessment turns out to be mistaken, perhaps there's a cyclist who wasn't seen for whatever reason, then an accident may happen. It's not called an accident for no reason. If the driver is negligent or reckless, then yes, they should be punished, but if it's a genuine accident, borne out of human frailty or honest error, then IMHO punishment isn't warranted, regardless of the consequences of the event.

It's true, but wasted on some above.

I suppose there is a kind of heirarchy of freedom in who is allowed to do what whilst moving about the place.
The general opinon seems to be that the larger, noiser, faster and more polluting your vehicle is, the more invincible and righteous (MY ROAD) the driver feels and the more hated they become by those at the other end of the order.

Pedestrians (walkers, runners etc) at the one extreme end. They were here first. The tracks and paths were made by them and for them. Pedestrians think they own the place and probably do or should. They cause the least harm, noise, pollution and danger.

Horses arrived at this same time and have equal bragging rights except horses shit on the path and (most) people don't. Horses are sensitive animals and should be treated respectfully. They do no harm unless under threat. Full bragging rights.

Paths became cart tracks, but bicycles came before cars so they come next. No pollution, no laws at first, no licence just free and clean. That mindset is the basis for a lot of what goes no now. Bikers are a mixed bunch now. But apart from the increased speed of modern bikes ( a tad offset by brakes that really work), a sensible considerate rider has excellent bragging rights.

Then some idiot added a motor to stuff, and worse, put the whole lot inside a well armoured 1 ton+ shield and made it go 100mph. As road users they have zero bragging rights except that they are big and bloody dangerous.

Moral 1. If you understand the above and still don't take care to avoid the big, hard, fast things, you are not quite all there IMO.
Moral 2. All the above categories contain their share of idiots/maniacs/stupid people/poorly sighted people/very old people/ learners/criminals and etc etc. Double Jeopardy. Be aware of the unaware.

All that said, whoever you are and however you are getting about, if you harm someone or something else, you should be brought to justice.

Got told off by a Yummy Mummy type once in affluent Primrose Hill. Yes, she let her child wonder out into ther road in front of my bike.
Thought Id done well to avoid the kiddie tbh, but hey ho !

I have also lost count of the times I have been waiting at a junction for a cyclist who has the right of way, only to see them just turn off with no signals or regard for any other road user.

I’ve lost count of the times some prick (almost always in an Audi or BMW) overtakes me only to immediately slam on the brakes and turn left causing me to emergency brake or swerve. Are you defending these drivers in your stereotyping of all cyclists?

I’ve lost count of the times some prick (almost always in an Audi or BMW) overtakes me only to immediately slam on the brakes and turn left causing me to emergency brake or swerve. Are you defending these drivers in your stereotyping of all cyclists?

That's an entirely different scenario but similar, in reverse happened to me recently.

Going out shopping and waited patiently behind a large group of lycra clad entitled pricks. 4 abreast, no signals at the next junction. Came to a stretch of road, before a roundabout, where it was safe to overtake. Gave them plenty of room, got to the roundabout, several cars waiting. A couple of these self entitled pricks overtook me on the inside and immediately pulled in front of me, stopping abruptly, just as I started moving so I nearly crashed into them. Then they turned around to me and stated gobbing off at me. Then their mates arrived....

Would you justify that?

Why would I care or defend the behaviour of others? I’m a lone cyclist, not a member of a cult! I cycle well and safely, if someone in a car hurts me I’ll sue the shit out them, assuming I live to tell the tale!

In the same way that a red traffic light means stop and applies to all users but almost all cyclists ignore them and never get any penalty. Feel free to justify your selective reasoning.

Here's another take on that:
In the same way that a red traffic light means stop and applies to all users but almost all [strikethrough]cyclists[/strikethrough] BMW and Audi drivers ignore them and never get any penalty. Feel free to justify your selective reasoning.

I have also lost count of the times I have been waiting at a junction for a [strikethrough]cyclist[/strikethrough] BMW or Audi driver or white van man who has the right of way, only to see them just turn off with no signals or regard for any other road user.

Twats, all of them.

HTH.

I live in a rural village & we get many Lycra clad cyclists flying through our village & the surrounding villages.
They approach without caution & will even cycle around you at high speed when using the zebra crossing.
Most of them are not from our villages but turn up from all over the country in their cars which I can only assume they also drive with gay abandon.
They also litter the countryside with their disposable drinks, food wrappers etc.
That's interesting.
I live on the outskirts of Leeds & we get many car drivers flying through our town & the surrounding towns.
They approach without caution & will even drive around you at high speed when using the zebra crossing.
Many of them are not from our towns but turn up from all over the country in their cars which they drive with gay abandon.
They also litter the area with their disposable drinks, food wrappers etc.

Twats. All of them.

5000 points for wheelspinning through horse excrement as Stevie pedals by

You know, Audi drivers, we are all 'twats' so may as well prove the point and have a bit a fun eh? :)

advertisement

Back