advertisement

Why is a streamer needed in 2022 ?

I used to use an iPhone in an Onkyo Digital dock into a Cambridge Azur Dac. Sounded great. Only had one phone though so somewhat inconvenient.

Why do I need a streamer in 2022 when I can simply plug, pretty much any phone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer, running something like Qobuzz, into a Pre-amp or Integrated Amp with a DAC module and get the same result?

Or am I missing something?

Even assuming you have to buy a new tablet the outlay in minimal compared to a streamer plus the bonus of a large 10 inch+ HD/4k screen to navigate endless playlists and album art...

Do you think that you could tell the difference between your setup and a 30 quid DAC from Amazon inserted into your system in a blind listening test? Most of the small companies don't actually manufacture any DAC chips or server components just assemble them from a parts bin that everyone has access to, which may actually result in added noise to make the sound warmer for example which may appeal to some people and often cited as better. I think there is even more hype/mystery over digital than there is even for cables etc.

No, the DAC in the Pre-Amp, Integrated Amp or Speaker is doing the conversion, that is the whole point, Digital USB signal from powerful device running the latest version of Android for example to a DAC... If you look at most streamers even very expensive streamers or well regarded streamers they are running really old versions of android...

You raise too many issues to generate any meaningful discussion IMO: Ease of use of streamer as appliance vs other solutions, what matters for sound in a dac is it only the d/a chip, the importance of operating system's generation in a closed appliance, is numerical fidelity the only thing to seek in a dac etc. etc,.

For clarity I use streamer, Linn Sekrit, because it sounds better than my laptop with a topping D10 on analogue out or feeding the DAC in my AX-Z1010 amp.

Also the user interface on the Linn app is easy to use.

I think it may depend on how you listen to music.
I browse the internet on a Mac Mini plugged into a large TV.
The Mac also provides video and audio entertainment all with one interface with which I interact.
I don't want another interface to use with a streamer such as required by the Naim streamers.
The Naims is dependant on a 3rd party infrastructure in order to function - without that it's an expensive brick in comparison to a computer.

What I thought. However video quality wasn’t that great and as with the fundings of some above, a dedicated streamer sounded better. Despite using Pure Music and asynchronous connection - the streamer simply sounds more musical.

Aside from convenience, interface and aesthetics but focussing on sonics, there are two schools of thought: 1. If you have a competent DAC there will be no difference and any difference you perceive is down to expectation bias and a blind test would confirm this. 2. A properly engineered streamer will be dedicated solely to the task and thus have better power supplies, RFI isolation, mechanical isolation and so on.

Take your pick and which ever camp you fall into, ignore the other.

I usually stream when I'm printing in my darkroom, for which times it's inconvenient to use a phone and when the computer is firmly switched off. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one, but my Yamaha WXC50 sounds excellent and has remote control, so it does the job for me. Streaming is definitely not my main source, but if it was I would probably buy something smarter/more expensive. I'm a computer programmer by trade, I don't want to fart around with a Raspberry Pi or my laptop when I'm not working.

Do you think that you could tell the difference between your setup and a 30 quid DAC from Amazon inserted into your system in a blind listening test? Most of the small companies don't actually manufacture any DAC chips or server components just assemble them from a parts bin that everyone has access to, which may actually result in added noise to make the sound warmer for example which may appeal to some people and often cited as better. I think there is even more hype/mystery over digital than there is even for cables etc.

Yes, been there done that, and spent far too long using a computer as a source, now have a dedicated streamer and reaping the SQ benefits.

Your first post however was pure intentional bate, as you already had your 'belief' structure ingrained as shown with your posts that followed. You merely posted to start yet another debate about the same things that are talked about daily disguised as an 'innocent' inquisitive post.

Yes, been there done that, and spent far too long using a computer as a source, now have a dedicated streamer and reaping the SQ benefits.

Your first post however was pure intentional bate, as you already had your 'belief' structure ingrained as shown with your posts that followed. You merely posted to start yet another debate about the same things that are talked about daily disguised as an 'innocent' inquisitive post.
Spoil sport.

Your first post however was pure intentional bate(sic), as you already had your 'belief' structure ingrained as shown with your posts that followed. You merely posted to start yet another debate about the same things that are talked about daily disguised as an 'innocent' inquisitive post.

You're surely not suggesting that debate is to be discouraged? As someone who has dabbled in various streaming solutions over the past few years, I'm finding this thread quite interesting.

Lighten up. It's all grist to the mill.

You're surely not suggesting that debate is to be discouraged? As someone who has dabbled in various streaming solutions over the past few years, I'm finding this thread quite interesting.

Lighten up. It's all grist to the mill.

Ah my shadow, I’ve missed you.

Chaps

I demoed a Naim NDX2 streamer over the weekend and will confess disappointment. It is convenient to use and you can listen to any rare or obscure bit of music within 30 seconds which makes LPs and CDs look like something from the arc.

However, and this is the pill we have to swallow, the sound quality is still not up to the NAT01 tuner, and nowhere near the Garrard 401 and CDS3 CD player.

I will hold back from buying one until the CDS3 gives up the ghost but even today, in this high tech age, records and CD rule supreme.

I am disappointed because it would have been nice to have been able to get rid of the CD player, record player and tuner and replace it with just one box as well as disposing of all the LPs and CDs.

I have some Kef LSX speakers in Spain which have a built in streamer which is ok but it's not real Hifi, so we have to live with the fact that if quality of sound is important to you, streaming is still a while off until it improves.

Regards

Mick

Chaps

I demoed a Naim NDX2 streamer over the weekend and will confess disappointment. It is convenient to use and you can listen to any rare or obscure bit of music within 30 seconds which makes LPs and CDs look like something from the arc.

However, and this is the pill we have to swallow, the sound quality is still not up to the NAT01 tuner, and nowhere near the Gerrard 401 and CDS3 CD player.

I will hold back from buying one until the CDS3 gives up the ghost but even today, in this high tech age, records and CD rule supreme.

I am disappointed because it would have been nice to have been able to get rid of the CD player, record player and tuner and replace it with just one box as well as disposing of all the LPs and CDs.

I have some Kef LSX speakers in Spain which have a built in streamer which is ok but it's not real Hifi, so we have to live with the fact that if quality of sound is important to you, streaming is still a while off until it improves.

Regards

Mick
Who is this Gerrard?

advertisement

Back