advertisement

Don’t bother turning it over or half good records

Woodface

pfm Member
Just listened to David Bowie - ‘Hunky Dory’, obviously it must pre-date sequencing as the 2nd side falls off a cliff.

Any other suggestions?

Lloyd Cold - ‘Don’t get weird on me babe’ is another & has a truly terrible title.

I think a lot of people myself included only listen to the one side of Tubular Bells & In A Gadda Da Vida. Probably a bunch more one track takes a whole side situations out there.

Love: Da Capo. Side 2 is basically a tedious jam session. See also: Rolling Stones: Aftermath.

By contrast Hunk Dory is fab except for ‘Kooks’ (can’t remember if that’s on side A or B).

Just done this with Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother. Don't play it often but don't mind side one. However side two is awful.

Two thirds of my collection are 12” singles or EPs, often with only one track of interest often accompanied with crap remixes or poorly executed variations of a style to fill the release but you tend to know that going in tbh, a quick look at the credits often confirms what you suspect, the list would be long.
I listen to a whole LP or album though as it seems to me to be a automatic reaction similar to watching a film that has a promising beginning but quickly goes pear shaped, I need to see it through.

I came from CD first with no concept of a bad side, I just used to listen from start to finish so I carried that on with vinyl. I must have a high tolerance for weaker tracks because I never feel the need to get up and take it off or only play side a/b.

I'm very much a full album or don't bother kind of person, to the point where I probably don't know the name of 90% of the album tracks in my collection as I just listen right through. I know the lyrics though!

Possibly sacrilege but I rarely listen to side 2 of Marquee Moon by Television. After the title track there doesn’t seem to be much point.

With vinyl there is a tendency to play the side with a favorite track and perhaps not the other...

Possibly sacrilege but I rarely listen to side 2 of Marquee Moon by Television. After the title track there doesn’t seem to be much point.
I rarely listen to Marquee Moon.
It's massively overrated.

[Dons coat and trilby and runs out of the...tent]

Conversely, one album where most people only play one side, but the other is great, is Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie.

I came from CD first with no concept of a bad side, I just used to listen from start to finish so I carried that on with vinyl. I must have a high tolerance for weaker tracks because I never feel the need to get up and take it off or only play side a/b.

I'm very much a full album or don't bother kind of person, to the point where I probably don't know the name of 90% of the album tracks in my collection as I just listen right through. I know the lyrics though!

interesting position; arriving with CD then introducing vinyl.

I find it inexplicable artists would provide an album with afterthoughts on the second side. Is it, for example, the artist testing the waters with their less mainstream compositions?

I think I’ve seen double albums where the second isn’t too good.

advertisement

Back