advertisement

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

‘Relatively’? Are you for real? As upthread have a look at some of the things drivers get away with for taking a life.

Motorists spent several pages crying over some Highway Code ‘changes’ that weren’t really changes. It’s just a classic case of Tories appealing to their pathetic base of morons.
All road users should be respectful of other users and be responsible for their actions, regardless of vehicle type. The risk changes depending what you are driving, one should drive accordingly. Politics is and should be irrelevant to this.

There are legal requirements for bikes. This already happens. Do you understand the term ‘disproportionate’?

He was also riding what is known as a fixie, you can brake by stopping pedalling.
He saw her stepping out into the road and took no evasive action.

Electric scooters are illegal, road or pavement, except where trials are authorised.

Then they need to get ahead of the game - they need to see what happens when they are let loose (Tbilisi)

Brakes:
  • It's an offence to ride a bicycle on a public road without two efficient braking systems, operating independently on the front and rear wheel. Apart from saying that a brake which operates directly on a pneumatic tyre is not efficient, the regulations are unhelpful as to what is or is not efficient, nor do they define how the brakes must operate.
  • It is clear that a fixed wheel counts as a braking system operating on that wheel, so a fixed wheel bike with a front brake is legal (assuming both brakes are efficient!), but a fixed wheel bike with merely a rear brake isn't, as there's no independent front wheel brake.

The gazing at phone stepping off pavement is classic these days. As for red lights its pretty simple... JUST STOP... I do so 100 % of time on the bike ( honest ). Red light jumpers
can also be very dangerous to pedestrians / other road traffic.

That is the most distressing thread I've ever encountered. I was knocked off my bike a couple of years ago. The woman said she didn't do it, no CCTV footage, the driver behind refused to be a witness. That's nothing compared to these stories. Makes your blood boil.
5 years ago whilst walking on Sutton Bank I was on the right side of the road, two cyclists coming downhill missed me by inches, they were travelling faster than I would have in a car. Had they hit me, doesn't bear thinking about. What did stike me is they were not riding in consideration of other road users (me as a pedestrian) or their ability to anticipate the need to stop in an emergancy.

5 years ago whilst walking on Sutton Bank I was on the right side of the road, two cyclists coming downhill missed me by inches, they were travelling faster than I would have sone so in a car. Had they hit me, doesn't bear thinking about. What did stike me is they were not riding in consideration of other road users (me as a pedestrian) or their ability to anticipate the need to stop in an emergancy.

On the road? Footpath? Cycle track?

There should be mandatory licences to ride a bike on a public road and it should also have a points system in place. Ok so it may be hard pushed to ‘ban’ offenders from cycling after hitting a high level of points but you can sure as hell fine them and put them on cycling proficiency courses.

All road users should be respectful of other users and be responsible for their actions, regardless of vehicle type. The risk changes depending what you are driving, one should drive accordingly. Politics is and should be irrelevant to this.
But it is being used by the Tories for this very purpose, it is not based on need as there are adequate laws in place.

That’s it. Anything to deter people from getting fitter and healthier, being environmentally better people.

And who the hell will enforce all this?
Have you called the police after a burglary lately?

And I’ll say this again.

Scuba divers take pretty thorough courses. Some die.

Motorcyclists pass strict tests, but many still ride like c***s and die.

Pilots, mountaineers, ooo car drivers, lorry drivers….

How the hell will YOU make sure cyclists alone will obey the law?

5 years ago whilst walking on Sutton Bank I was on the right side of the road, two cyclists coming downhill missed me by inches, they were travelling faster than I would have in a car. Had they hit me, doesn't bear thinking about. What did stike me is they were not riding in consideration of other road users (me as a pedestrian) or their ability to anticipate the need to stop in an emergancy.
Very difficult to determine whether they were going faster than you would in a car & I don’t see how this is relevant?

And I’ll say this again.

Scuba divers take pretty thorough courses. Some die.

Motorcyclists pass strict tests, but many still ride like c***s and die.

Pilots, mountaineers, ooo car drivers, lorry drivers….

How the hell will YOU make sure cyclists alone will obey the law?

Use the traffic cameras and cyclists or their bikes to have an id number. Same as other road users do.

advertisement

Back