advertisement

All purpose cycling thread 2022

Just read about the disturbing rise in bike jacking in London & surrounding areas. Terrifying stuff, cyclists being chess by people on mopeds & robbed at knifepoint.

Just read about the disturbing rise in bike jacking in London & surrounding areas. Terrifying stuff, cyclists being chess by people on mopeds & robbed at knifepoint.
Yes unfortunately this is a thing again. My club is advising riders not to go out solo.

It’s not happened so much up here.

About 20 years ago I was warned about a cycle path near Hudderfield where the local chavs hid at the side of the path and pulled a rope up to neck height to remove the rider from his bike, then jumped on the bike and rode off. No need for machettes. Horrible!

About 20 years ago I was warned about a cycle path near Hudderfield where the local chavs hid at the side of the path and pulled a rope up to neck height to remove the rider from his bike, then jumped on the bike and rode off. No need for machettes. Horrible!
Had a few incidents reported of neck height wire strung across certain trail routes. Horrible.

Had a few incidents reported of neck height wire strung across certain trail routes. Horrible.
Where’s that?

Nice shady early morning blast around covert woods near Canterbury on the MTB this morning and another round Buckmore Park Woods earlier this week. Have also done 60km on the road bike this week as I slide back in after a prolonged bout of sciatica. Have ordered an 11-28 cassette (largest my rear mech will take) for the road bike to help my ageing knees here on the North Downs.

Modern easier cassettes and accommodating rear derailleurs have been one of my favourite things for the past few years Fox, one bike with Shimano 36-52 and 11-28 11 speed, two bikes with Campag 34-50 and 12-29 11 speed, a far cry from the 42-52 and 12-21 6 speed I started out on in the late 80s. The gravel bike I bought 4 years ago with its Sora 34-50 and 12-32 is perfect for my winter road and trail too. I just can’t push the power I used to and whilst I’m able to get up hills in the big ring a lot at the moment there are many months I’m glad I’ve got the easier gearing. The bike I have with 39-53 and 11-26 hardly gets a ride. I don’t live in a flat area though with all my riding in the Surrey Hills.

A poignant ride for me yesterday, when I started out those decades ago and got my first bike computer with HRM I focused on riding heart rate. From memory fat burning zone was around 120-140 and cardio was 140-170 and a 220 max so I would focus on the zones rather than power or speed or strata-esque PBs. The latter then took over probably with computer evolution, data available and group rides but for the past ten years my rides have been more about letting go mentally whilst accepting more and more riders go past me. I found overcoming silly held-onto pride whilst obvious to a normal person has been a gradual thing that has taken a few years!

Yesterday I found myself just watching heart rate more than before and the number ranges for my fat burn and cardio and max of course are more like 100-120, 120-140 and 170 as I get closer to 60. I realised I have more of an audax mentally now (without the desire to spend hours riding beyond my preferred 90 mins to 2 hours max) and much more content to just ride at a sustainable, knee-protecting and no-burn-out pace and when I got to the end of the ride my average didn’t look a lot different than usual. Maybe I’ve found my new zen mentality to enjoy a few more years on the road. It’s not that I haven’t been aware of this before but somehow yesterday like breaking in shoes it’s like I was able to wear it comfortably, lots of laughs.

Where’s that?

Nice shady early morning blast around covert woods near Canterbury on the MTB this morning and another round Buckmore Park Woods earlier this week. Have also done 60km on the road bike this week as I slide back in after a prolonged bout of sciatica. Have ordered an 11-28 cassette (largest my rear mech will take) for the road bike to help my ageing knees here on the North Downs.
I can’t recall exactly, think there was one incident in Yorkshire, thankfully quite rare.

My climbing set-up has an 11-32 cassette and a 34-50 chainset which I like as, being from a mountain biking background, I prefer to spin up hills. Plus my puny legs need any help they can get! When I'm riding more often and have some semblance of bike fitness then I'm fine with an 11-28 cassette.

On longer climbs I do use my HRM to ensure I'm climbing at a sustainable level and I can tell from Stava times that it's more effective than just pushing as hard as I think is reasonable but without seeing my HR level.

My climbing set-up has an 11-32 cassette and a 34-50 chainset which I like as, being from a mountain biking background, I prefer to spin up hills. Plus my puny legs need any help they can get! When I'm riding more often and have some semblance of bike fitness then I'm fine with an 11-28 cassette.

On longer climbs I do use my HRM to ensure I'm climbing at a sustainable level and I can tell from Stava times that it's more effective than just pushing as hard as I think is reasonable but without seeing my HR level.

I have one road bike rocking 700x25 Schwalbe Duranos, 34-50 and 11-25, soon to be 11-28. I've not found anything I can't get up in 34-25, but it's really, really hilly here and I want to extend the life of my knees if I can.

I can’t recall exactly, think there was one incident in Yorkshire, thankfully quite rare.

There was an incidence in Bramham Woods (near Wetherby). The police were involved but the perpetrator was never found. I actually met the guy it happened to, we bumped into a chap on a ride in the area and warned him about it. He replied with "yes it know, it was me!"

There are also reports of similar at Otley Chevin.

Sure, if you want. 4000 rpm, drop clutch, off you go. Not recommended on 4wd sports cars, it's a great way to break transmission parts.

I have one road bike rocking 700x25 Schwalbe Duranos, 34-50 and 11-25, soon to be 11-28. I've not found anything I can't get up in 34-25, but it's really, really hilly here and I want to extend the life of my knees if I can.

I'm fine for shorter climbs using something like an 11-25, however I have a house in the Cairngorms and the climbs there can be quite sustained. My house is a few miles away from the Lecht ski area so the climb to the there from Cock Bridge is very close. When I lived in Essex the climbs were sometimes quite steep, but never very long!

Modern easier cassettes and accommodating rear derailleurs have been one of my favourite things for the past few years Fox, one bike with Shimano 36-52 and 11-28 11 speed, two bikes with Campag 34-50 and 12-29 11 speed, a far cry from the 42-52 and 12-21 6 speed I started out on in the late 80s. The gravel bike I bought 4 years ago with its Sora 34-50 and 12-32 is perfect for my winter road and trail too. I just can’t push the power I used to and whilst I’m able to get up hills in the big ring a lot at the moment there are many months I’m glad I’ve got the easier gearing. The bike I have with 39-53 and 11-26 hardly gets a ride. I don’t live in a flat area though with all my riding in the Surrey Hills.

A poignant ride for me yesterday, when I started out those decades ago and got my first bike computer with HRM I focused on riding heart rate. From memory fat burning zone was around 120-140 and cardio was 140-170 and a 220 max so I would focus on the zones rather than power or speed or strata-esque PBs. The latter then took over probably with computer evolution, data available and group rides but for the past ten years my rides have been more about letting go mentally whilst accepting more and more riders go past me. I found overcoming silly held-onto pride whilst obvious to a normal person has been a gradual thing that has taken a few years!

Yesterday I found myself just watching heart rate more than before and the number ranges for my fat burn and cardio and max of course are more like 100-120, 120-140 and 170 as I get closer to 60. I realised I have more of an audax mentally now (without the desire to spend hours riding beyond my preferred 90 mins to 2 hours max) and much more content to just ride at a sustainable, knee-protecting and no-burn-out pace and when I got to the end of the ride my average didn’t look a lot different than usual. Maybe I’ve found my new zen mentality to enjoy a few more years on the road. It’s not that I haven’t been aware of this before but somehow yesterday like breaking in shoes it’s like I was able to wear it comfortably, lots of laughs.

I have ditched my HRM and power meter as i am not goong to win any prizes for speed and just ride on feel. Much more enjoyable.

you still have quite tall gearing on your gravel bike, i am using a 30-46 chainset with an 11-34 cassette, i like the low gearing for off road. I hve an 11-36 cassette waiting to go on once this one wears out.

I have something that could be called a gravel bike with a single speed. Being as I am a fully equipped trendy hipster with a long beard, hair in a man bun and a man bag. Or not. It runs I think 34 x 15, giving 61 gear inches. That's comfortable on easy off road, and good for high teens on road before I spin out. Big hills of course are a no-no.

I tend to prefer pushing a taller gear but 11 speed does allow a decent bail out so I run a 52/36 & 11-28, think I’ve used the 28 once;)

I have ditched my HRM and power meter as i am not goong to win any prizes for speed and just ride on feel. Much more enjoyable.

you still have quite tall gearing on your gravel bike, i am using a 30-46 chainset with an 11-34 cassette, i like the low gearing for off road. I hve an 11-36 cassette waiting to go on once this one wears out.
Interesting on the HRM Neil. I agree on the gravel gearing, it came with sora 2x9 and it should last for a few years so I have no plan to ditch it, but I could see myself going for your gearing if that day arrives.

I don’t disagree with comments from others too, I can get up the road hills here in 36x28 fine and higher if I had to. I do like having the 34x29 bikes even if I don’t use the lowest gears much, particularly for the 15% climbs when they’re part of the route. Crocknorth, whitedown, chapel lane, pebble hill etc. It’s flat riding that’s limited locally if I want to stay away from urban areas.

I have'n't lost much power, cannae sprint like ah used tae though. My gearing is still the same. My single speed (unfixed) has been my everyday bike for nearly 20 years. bought it as a commuter ,saved sooo much cleaning time in the winter (ON-ONE single-speed ... 48-18). Ma mtb is Race Face vintage 26-36-46, and 13-30) , (on its third set of gears) Ma Sunday bike is old skool as well - 39-53 and 12-27 cassette...Ah live in Dundee, known as the "City of Braes" and ah pedalled a message bike , up and doon them for nearly 4 years, as a schoolboy. Maaan, that gave ye calf muscles. Oh, ah celebrated ma 71st. birthday last month...:eek:.

Same happened in one of the larger woods where I live, doesn’t bare thinking about the consequences. Put my son off from riding in that area for a while. Not sure how anyone think this is a prank worth doing.

advertisement

Back