advertisement

When Jazz Met Hip Hop

Here's a couple to be going on with:

Kero One, windmills for the soul.
Nujabes, Metaphorical Music (also worth a listen to some of the instrumental albums, so super chilled and beautiful).
Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Mecca and the soul brother.

If these float your boat, I'll add a few more when home 2moz.

@Amormusic thanks again, they all sound very good or better from preveiw on YouTube. I'm slowly ordering a few discs.
I never buy more than one record a day. Otherwise the meetings my wife and I hold at front door after postie delivers get too intense.:)
Will take up your kind offer of more once I've listened to current leads.

@Amormusic thanks again, they all sound very good or better from preveiw on YouTube. I'm slowly ordering a few discs.
I never buy more than one record a day. Otherwise the meetings my wife and I hold at front door after postie delivers get too intense.:)
Will take up your kind offer of more once I've listened to current leads.

multiple buys from one retailer may confuse her

That's an excellent lead, thanks @Conan.
idk how to use last fm, so having a rummage/preview on youtube.

@blossomchris no way - she can detect a record many miles distant.
This morning she announced visiting family and will be away from home for four days next week.
I played it cool, but then urgently contacted assorted discog sellers asking if they can ship to arrive in this safe period!

That's an excellent lead, thanks @Conan.
idk how to use last fm, so having a rummage/preview on youtube.

@blossomchris no way - she can detect a record many miles distant.
This morning she announced visiting family and will be away from home for four days next week.
I played it cool, but then urgently contacted assorted discog sellers asking if they can ship to arrive in this safe period!
Balls to worrying about that! Now's your chance fella to ship in some really massive speakers...

"Nah, dunno what you mean, they were always here".

Lucky I don't have that problem. I've got big badboys in my front room and don't have to worry about music, kit, or the Mrs fretting about stuff.

Buy what you want. Tell the Mrs to chill.

Bullfrog is good too. This is a live clip, but the album it’s off (‘A Little Ropeadope Disc’ - featuring Kid Kaola) is great.

Dream Warriors sampled quite a bit of Jazz including Soul Bosss Nova on My Definition of a Boombastic Jazz Style.

Not Hip Hop, but Trip Hop.

I am really sure that Karmacoma is based on a slowed down sample from Pharoah Sander's Karma, maybe about 3 minutes into "The Creator Has a Master Plan". If they didn't sample it, they certainly took the rhythm pattern.

@Alex N I've spent 32 years wondering about souce of that sample.

image.gif

Ha, I thought you might like that one. Some homework perhaps for you here.

Back on topic, I’m surprised we’ve not had Kendrick’s To Pimp a Butterfly, made with Robert Glasper, Kamasi Washington, Ambrose Akinmusire, Terrace Martin, and more...

(Then from there, FlyLo and Thundercat maybe?)

advertisement

Back