advertisement

Moths

We had this visitor in the house last month, an Elephant Hawk Moth:
wuc7lfxic6qu.png

Has someone asked why moths choose the most expensive wool items with the same accuracy as high maintenance bimbos ?

Klfrs,

Very close in appearance but the moth’s antenna are its nose rather than its ears. And in the cecropia moth’s case it’s to find a mate.

Odd critters, these moths.

Joe

One of the local Hawk Moths out here. I was quite surprised that the little guy brought it in from the school garden. The kids out here generally shit the bed if anything living with more than two legs comes near.
1mM4ypMIdmxNS90il1Ols6GzLqstqWtAQlgv8krByr8VvpjcJBAwNHQtLBJxRXnozwQgMgLcX6O1HJj3JXOBho4vOzBGctAlQlgRojrLNTt3qEs5-ufYxWWTY_UD3X5L9Q3Wu-IAbag8FxKfhrNHvlxh-SFyHr4yZ8XVxeLkdX2lMMntVq8RIio270CPMhy8mgGHbU0SdPRqpIwxaEnRyIFmu4oxBXHHsz94aOYwWQ_VudIvHuGEM96EvsdROErgRRyZYz_M-Q8bmWVdwmivstn5Jp870U9SW7UO-21hvPUAMPKySdy08Vi8ryy_mZVUnsP_uaZ5e9Jbbm7y5HLqonwp6JLMvUS97y35Qb7mw5VUgiZSLjz4JGt3erT-mjphkLYgKYlSzjuo6oXb0Xq_4C5wUCp7PVnBiZJZD0A50LOHXcfo7dY6-21HcXa7AokXcp2pMIr4m50g_UPlITWdADJh4g4oDITM0_bkrnkTqj2V5TWGEh1oLGOTvgkGR_OTdNnTmZdVFl0uz4reT81OfvY5iHNWP8kR3tRQmKpLVNEDk20fk1bSLE5vfnHZHTbXDD_SIylsqCFxEx_jjHholiwi8a1gl5EnwMh5hP4hOba-swgR5QOUQiFGI9bpgQhQlkMgf4vUmSWE9kJySwtbiJ90dANJSAgw4L9FPl8J5eVSxRzT8CiVjGWwHXAB1G7IBtb08AjjZdAkOJMkStNmKRQTJWBRF2MzM50NKA-6lkHM7ogyKQCRrriiTa21cqQ=w960-h1278-no

My Chinese matey almost cried with fear when I picked up a large beetle.

This is one of my favourite moths.

Joe

We have those visiting our garden occasionally, they like the verbena at the front of our house. I've tried to take pics through the window in the past but they move really fast!

Oh and Meuths don't actually eat your stuff....they've no teef you see. It'll be their Kattiepillows that do the chewin!

I like big moths an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny…

That when a moth flutters in with an itty bitty waist
And antennae in your face -
You get sprung, wanna pull up tough
‘Cause you notice that abdomen was fluff
Colours deep in the genes she’s wearing
I’m hooked and I can’t stop staring
Oh baby, I wanna get wit'cha'
And take your picture
... pfm boys tried to warn me ...

Luv me moffs, hence my username. :) I used to trap moths in both my garden and some local woodland until arthritis put a stop to it about 10 years ago.

Here's a few photos of the hundreds of species I've caught over the years taken with an old Nikon Coolpix 500.

Top to bottom. Female Emperor, Lime Hawk Moth, Black Arches, Garden Tiger, Mervielle du Jour and a Red Sword-grass looking more like a piece of Birch twig than a blade of grass. :)

photo.aspx

photo.aspx

photo.aspx

photo.aspx

photo.aspx

photo.aspx

I’ve been wondering where all the moths have gone? It used to be that leaving a door open at night (I have dogs so normally at least one door is open almost all the time) resulted in a number of them fluttering around the rooms. So far this year I’ve seen three moths and two crane flies which seems a very low number compared to how it used to be.

Rescued a moth just now, quite an unusual pattern on the top side. Its wings looked like lines of grey stone stripes but had orange, triangle like patterns by its abdomen and was about 100mm across. Any ideas anyone?

advertisement

Back