advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Is this what is happening with these massive company quotes, trying to justify that they are buffering people ? Seems to me that they want to fill their own coffers for cash flow.

I have never paid by direct debit & never will, just save up monthly & pay on bill arrival has always been my way, maybe old fashioned but I control my outgoings not them.

It might not be of interest, but just in case you are not aware, depending on your supplier, you can still use this method but pay by DD - submit meter reading(s), which generates a bill for actual usage, and the DD is taken for the full amount of the bill some time after (in my case, with Octopus, it's two weeks from the date of the bill). Some suppliers who do offer this might charge more, but some don't (e.g. Octopus).

Am I out of touch and that there are more efficient (and easier) ways to insulate nowadays? Apart from replacing Rockwool with Celotex, that is.

I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. I understand your reluctance to change what you have and it is your decision but you know it needs doing as 300mm of fibreglass/ Rockwool is the current recommendation. You could halve that by using PIR products.

I understand some people are anti-PIR products after the events at Grenfell but installed properly in a property with correctly installed electrical/ gas products it doesn't pose a substantive quantifiable risk. There is the issue of the gas used to make it and its impact on the environment.

I like Knaufwool as it is an irritation free product and is partially made from recycled materials (I believe) and the wrappings are recyclable. I've spent a few hours in our loft with this stuff.

Regards

Richard

The only issue I have with keeping it on and set to a certain temperature is that my comfortable temperature changes with the weather, a house that is 20c inside in summer doesn't feel the same as a house at 20c in the winter. I adjust the room stat all the time during the winter months depending on how I feel and what the outside temp is.

I installed an external weather probe into our system controls, works really well, no longer is the gas on full heat in order to get to the internal temperature dialled in, progressive instead dependant on external temperature.

This is a rather sweeping all encompassing statement and, along with other oft quoted "truisms" so often touted that everybody believes it to be true simply because everybody "knows" it to be true.

There isn't a one size fits all solution - I can assure you that here the heating NEEDS to be on 24/7 in the heating season. We are still working on completing insulating this property but the heat pump would have too much to do if we tried cycling the heating. We have tried the night time setback thing (like we did with the LPG boiler that preceded the heat pump) but it simply proves a "bridge too far" on colder days.

It's somewhat akin to the statement that the water going out of a radiator should be 20°C cooler than that going in - I challenge anybody to achieve that in a properly set-up heat pump based system. It might have been true 30yrs ago in a traditional water based system...........

There are other "given's" that I challenge every time I see them quoted.

Regards

Richard
99% of the population do not live in a property like yours.

I have just received a new fixed tariff from British Gas for October 22-23.
Instead of the variable tariff which I am on which currently costs £3600 a year they have offered me a fixed at £7200 a year.

Instead of the variable tariff which I am on which currently costs £3600 a year they have offered me a fixed at £7200 a year.

:eek:

Jesus wept.

We were offered one from them a few weeks back, exclusive they said, that was an increase of 57%, thought I'd wait till later on.

Jesus isn’t weeping as much as I am.
I cannot afford to pay this.

Don't pay it stick the dosh in a bank account, they can't disconnect anyone between September and March.

Tell them you can't pay and won't pay, if enough people do this they'll be swamped with legal costs.

I'm seriously considering doing this.

Christ on a bike. That’s pretty high usage. Room to reduce consumption?

Some useful advice about how to survive the cost of living crisis from former newsreader Alastair Stewart (OBE):

https://twitter.com/AlStewartOBE/status/1555604743107526659
https://twitter.com/AlStewartOBE/status/1555673787848425474
Cost of living lessons.. My regular London hotel upped its prices by 25%. I searched online, found another, and got a great deal. Relearning old skills.

But those whose mindset is entitlement & scrounging don’t get it…
No need to thank him.

I guess the other difference is I'm closer to the equator here in balmy South London whereas some members are posting from the Frozen North

It’s a good point. The difference in temperature moving from N Wales to Gloucestershire is very, very noticeable. It’s bloody cold (and wet) up there.

Here's screenshots from my Octopus quote this morning for anyone interested.

20UqOnI.png

z2jyd30.png

2mv4s0C.png

It’s a good point. The difference in temperature moving from N Wales to Gloucestershire is very, very noticeable. It’s bloody cold (and wet) up there.

The average difference in temps from Glasgow vs London is about 7 degrees c lower in Glasgow further north the temp will be even larger think it's about 13 degrees C for Aberdeen

Don't pay it stick the dosh in a bank account, they can't disconnect anyone between September and March.

Tell them you can't pay and won't pay, if enough people do this they'll be swamped with legal costs.

I'm seriously considering doing this.
You are misinformed.
You are only protected from disconnection in winter if you are a pensioner, disabled, chronically ill or have children under 6.
If you aren’t in any of these they will act after 28 days of non payment.
You will be offered a payment plan. Reject it and the lights and gas will go out.

advertisement

Back