advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

The thing that is so depressing in all this is just how much of a market there clearly is for a totally ludicrous bigoted far-right conspiracy theorist site like InfoWars. It generates simply astonishing amount of cash.

But punitive damages are capped in Texas, IIUC, so he will have to pay "only" $ 4.5 million. But other suits are pending.

Capped to 2x compensatory damage + $750,000. So 2 x $4.2m + 750k = $9.1m.

There is also some talk of this limit being challenged at the Texas supreme court as well.

Reactions: PsB
AIUI this is a civil claim, though. I can’t access the New Yorker piece but not sure how a pardon would absolve from civil liability.
Sorry about that. The article isn't actually about Jones, but about how state legislatures are becoming more undemocratic. It specifically describes Ohio, overall a moderate state, but one that has elected an extreme legislature, which is enacting laws that will keep the Republicans in power, no matter what the voters say. It's a reflection of the US's move away from democracy and towards fascism, in which normal values are turned upside-down, and outright villains get big rewards. We've already seen Trump do this, pardoning the biggest crooks and giving the likes of Rush Limbaugh the Presidential Medal of Freedom. If Trump gets back in, this tendency will be accentuated, the Alec Jones of this world will be great heroes, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if one Republican's claim that Dr. Fauci would end up in jail turned out to be true. Please, someone tell me that I'm a hopeless pessimist!

Some more on Alex Jones finances and how he is screwed. Ignore the start it gets interesting from when the lawyer speaks.

Last week, AG Garland said nobody is above the law. That statement now sounds very well timed.

Fox News are going full-on end of days/destruction of democracy rhetoric, brilliant to watch and apparently all the fault of Biden as he is running the show.

Fox News are going full-on end of days/destruction of democracy rhetoric, brilliant to watch and apparently all the fault of Biden as he is running the show.

One person’s beginning of justice is another person’s end of days. We must be cursed by the Chinese, as we certainly live in interesting times.

I’ve always been of the opinion that if you try to shoot T***p, it has to be a death blow. What I mean is they have to go after a felony charge they know for certain they can make stick. If this warrant is all about illegal removal of classified documents, that’s fine by me. The important thing is to brand him a felon before election time. The insurrection trial can come later. :)

I will feel very uneasy until I hear the details of what they were looking for and what they found. My gut says it will take weeks before all is revealed, and T***p’s media allies will try to make the most of that time to sow doubt. I believe ultimately they will fail, but they’ll do plenty of damage in the interim.

Hate to be happy about any part of the Trump disaster, but I much desire his prosecution, so this seems a very positive development.
One of the few things I liked about the Trump presidency was that waking up to news that some disaster had befallen him or his cronies always brightened up my day..

Just imagine for a minute that Trump wriggles out of this, then declares he is running again for the Presidency, and uses it from rising from the ashes.

Nightmare.

I will feel very uneasy until I hear the details of what they were looking for and what they found. My gut says it will take weeks before all is revealed, and T***p’s media allies will try to make the most of that time to sow doubt. I believe ultimately they will fail, but they’ll do plenty of damage in the interim.

Good round-up of the radicalised Republican online response by Caroline Orr Bueno here on Twitter. Many arguing for violence, civil war etc. MTG right at the heart of it as one would expect.

I obviously hope the FBI walk away with something solid that will put Trump and his insurgency out of contention. Interesting if there is any connection to Alex Jones’s phone records here…

advertisement

Back