advertisement

Moths

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
The Picasso moth (Baorissa hieroglyphica) for starters.

b201a4bfc602c1d4b4aed278f29f589f.jpg

Maybe it’s more Miro but impressive all the same.

Joe

Wow. That's fantastic. I once found an Elephant Hawk Moth larva in the garden, and kept it until it became an adult, and that was rather lovely but nothing on this one.

Steve,

Spectacular, it’s it? I’m straining to think what natural selective pressure led to such markings. Maybe an example of mimicry in moths that live in art galleries? Nah, that can’t be right.

3792321553_b1132707b3_b.jpg

Joe

Where’s my picture of Apollo throwing a lightning bolt?

joe

My Mrs is TERRIFIED of moths. She got one in her pyjamas once when she was very young.
They bothered me when I was young. Flat mates at university chilled about six of them in the fridge then pushed them under my bedroom door on a sheet of A4 while I was asleep. The ones in the pics above unbelievably beautiful.

My Mrs is TERRIFIED of moths. She got one in her pyjamas once when she was very young.

My Mrs is obsessed with moths. We can't walk 100 yards after dark without her stopping to examine an interesting* moth. She has a big book with all the moths in it.

They are very cool though. We saw quite a few Lime Hawk Moths earlier in the year.

* small brown one

The first time I saw a Hummingbird hawk-moth (in Turin, just outside the place where they keep the Shroud - Juventus 2 v 0 NUFC) I thought it was a...hummingbird. Doh.

I read that Moths evolved bright colors as a warning to predators about their toxicity. Non-toxic moths try to mimic the toxic ones.

Not sure that explains all the beautiful patterns though. I think some moths just have better design sense than others. :)

Beautiful things but they've totally chewed through my carpet - and woolen carpets ain't two a penny these days.

advertisement

Back