advertisement

fo.q tape

The Clangers were often keen on science & engineering IIRC, so it's a double-win.

Adding mass can change resonances to just where you don't want them, but resonant frequency of a hardback seemed not to be a problem. The issue that it helped address (according to 3 out of 3 listeners) was small and appeared volume-dependent, probably connected to transmission through the air or (less likely given what is under the boxes) through the floor.

This is easy and free to experiment with, though the 'problem' may only apply in room where the speakers point (to some extent) at the the hi-fi. Just don't put a lot of stuff an amps and then wait for them to cook...

This little sand-filled gecko has been a steady feature for well-over 25yrs. It was considerably more effective than the original Naim 'case damper' slidey-thingummy if you tapped the case - but lives there ever since for sentimental rather than ABX reasons.

IMG_0991%20gecko_500px.jpg

Cartoon animals here. One on each side of the room lest the soundstage should become twisted irreparably (Droopy not shown.)

49953135377_5a4eb8ca9e_z.jpg

Rhodium plating is tough, so repeated plugging and unplugging is less likely to remove the plating, unlike gold, Which is why I have used it. AFAIK, there is no sonic gain. Is it claimed that there is?
I was under the impression that this had at least been implied by cable vendors. If you are telling me that it is never marketed as anything other than a tough coating I might be arsed to investigate. But if that was a mere question then I would point you to the evidence of Sue who is a lighting rod for such ideas.

edit- “rhodium is not high on the conductivity scale but it does impart a unique sound quality that many auiophiles prefer”
https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mains-cables-r-us-reference-mains-plug-2/
That took 20 seconds

Lots of cable vendors and/or makers make statements like this without any justification, just as @adamdea says.

Similarly, more than one fish and chip shop claims to be "London's favourite". That doesn't prove that all the fish tastes the same, but it certainly doesn't provide any help to someone wondering where to eat.

A review of one shop that claimed its fish was life-alteringly great, without any useful specifics or comparisons or recognition that tastes legitimately differ, would be useless too.

Another review that slated the restaurant because of a measurement to 7 decimal places of where the fish came from or what exactly was in the cooking oil or how well-printed the menus were would also not help.

I was under the impression that this had at least been implied by cable vendors. If you are telling me that it is never marketed as anything other than a tough coating I might be arsed to investigate. But if that was a mere question then I would point you to the evidence of Sue who is a lighting rod for such ideas.

edit- “rhodium is not high on the conductivity scale but it does impart a unique sound quality that many auiophiles prefer”
https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mains-cables-r-us-reference-mains-plug-2/
That took 20 seconds
I never thought it would improve the sound, so I was never arsed to look for or at any claims. I plug and unplug cables frequently so I am only interested in the toughness. I do hear differences between cables, but have never changed plugs to that end.

OK just to relight this fire, or more accurately to give the results of my experiment, I took the advice of someone much further up this thread and applied the tape to the caps in the crossover. I was a bit hesitant to do this since it involved prying off a cover round the driver, however it turned out to be a lot easier than I feared (how often does that happen?!)

Turned out to be nice and easy to apply to the caps, pic attached...
20220804-195912.jpg

The difference was immediately noticeable. Better, tighter bass, richer mid, more detail and clarity at the top, better timing and stereo image, the sound just popped out of the speakers like never before, more life, more magic. Few examples, the synth in Equinoxe V flicking back and forth in the first minute much better defined, the bass in Pearl Jam Alive always a bit overblown in my room, now tighter and more bearable, the opening to sweet dreams are made of this is now truly amazing....

It took me 10 mins per speaker and I used about £3 worth of tape. I got improvements that people will pay thousands of pounds for. You can nay say and poo poo foo foo all you like. It makes an amazing positive difference. I have enough left to do some crossovers. If anyone has an open mind and lives near E Cheshire, I will come and apply it to your crossover and you can judge for yourself. It works, it sounds great and it is the best bang for the buck change you can make to your system.

If the sound has changed then the speaker’s measurements will have changed but I am guessing that there were neither any simple controls or measurements in your experiment?
Keith

advertisement

Back