advertisement

Small footprint floorstanding speaker ideas

Ones that jump out are Fyne f501sp

Less modern looking proac d20r and spendor a7. Slightly biggger and more expensive spendor d7.2.

The Peak Consults are very accomplished and IIRC, not inexpensive, so any replacement is going to have to come from the higher end.
Have you considered Fyne Audio? The boat-backed 700 series looks modern and is available in white, or piano black I think.

I always choose loudspeakers based on how they sound in my room with my electronics, not on how much they cost. There are oodles of expensive loudspeakers for sale on second hand sites, FWIW.

I always choose loudspeakers based on how they sound in my room with my electronics, not on how much they cost. There are oodles of expensive loudspeakers for sale on second hand sites, FWIW.

I agree but if a home demo is not possible, all one has to go with are objective measurements and subjective opinions from people who have heard them.

Thanks everyone for their recommendations, there’s a few brands mentioned that I do not know, so I need to do some digging on my part to see which are the most promising and add them on my “lookout” list. Neats also got a lot of mentions so I’m planning to look into them a bit more as I’m really not familiar with their catalogue and see what might be good fit for my needs.

Yes, but I'm familiar with the Peak Consults, and have an idea what's available at the inexpensive end of the market and I have my doubts the OP would find they float his boat. I just don't think you can get what they do well, without spending a reasonable wodge of dosh.

Tell your wife to piss off. Man up and tell her to go and do something useful.

I don't matter what she likes today, she'll want something else tomorrow. Tell her she can pick your speakers when you can pick her dresses and shoes. If you go down this route she'll keep going. Turntable are so old fashioned, do you need so many boxes. Tell her the stereo isn't there to look pretty, it does a job and if she doesn't like the way it looks, too bad.

Marriage counseling genius, it's a gift :0)
did you see that other thread on divorce :D:D

Yes, but I'm familiar with the Peak Consults, and have an idea what's available at the inexpensive end of the market and I have my doubts the OP would find they float his boat. I just don't think you can get what they do well, without spending a reasonable wodge of dosh.

I didn’t explicitly mention budget in this conversation as it is not the driving force behind this given that it’s all purely speculative at this point and will largely depend on the timing of things. When (if?) the time comes to move on, I’ll either sell the Peak Consults or PX them against whatever pair I find plus cash on top from my side so it should be possible to get something better, especially given that I’m only thinking of 2nd hand/ex demo items. Now better is subjective and I understand the law of diminishing returns probably kicks in way before the level of the consults so I’m not expecting night and day difference, just something that I’ll enjoy the same if not more and will look a bit less polarising :D

The terms modern design, small footprint and sensitivity make me think about the coax series from piega.ch (coax 611, maybe ) or the W8SE from boenicke-audio.ch (less modern and sensitive).
A dca

I didn’t explicitly mention budget in this conversation as it is not the driving force behind this given that it’s all purely speculative at this point and will largely depend on the timing of things. When (if?) the time comes to move on, I’ll either sell the Peak Consults or PX them against whatever pair I find plus cash on top from my side so it should be possible to get something better, especially given that I’m only thinking of 2nd hand/ex demo items. Now better is subjective and I understand the law of diminishing returns probably kicks in way before the level of the consults so I’m not expecting night and day difference, just something that I’ll enjoy the same if not more and will look a bit less polarising :D
I think with speakers the law of diminishing returns doesn’t bite so hard, or so early, IMHO. Good luck with the search.

Tell your wife to piss off. Man up and tell her to go and do something useful.

I don't matter what she likes today, she'll want something else tomorrow. Tell her she can pick your speakers when you can pick her dresses and shoes. If you go down this route she'll keep going. Turntable are so old fashioned, do you need so many boxes. Tell her the stereo isn't there to look pretty, it does a job and if she doesn't like the way it looks, too bad.

Marriage counseling genius, it's a gift :0)

Mr Pig completely unfunny. You need to think on what you have said. Monitor Audio Studio 20's would be marvellous. Cheap and enormously cheerful.

That’s a interesting proposition. Can this be removed if I decide to sell them at a later date or is this permanent? Anyone who has done it and can share thoughts/opinion on this?
Perfect solution for a few hundred quid .

Not sure how many were made or sold but the Reiver Jenna are a brilliant sounding small foot print floor stander (I know as I have a pair :))

Clearly every respondent to this enquiry will mention their preferred speakers... so I'll do likewise.

Duevel Planets. Small, easy to position, punch well above their modest price. Available in various colours or pleasing pale wood. Need a Supernait (or something with at least that much oomph) to do them justice.

I have now moved on to Duevel Venus, my endgame speakers, but the Planets got pretty close for ~1/4 of the price.

advertisement

Back