advertisement

Whisky II

I've got a bottle of that but haven't opened it yet. I've got another one of their bottlings as well but can't recall what that one is, as it's down in my Edinburgh place and I'm up on Tomintoul at the moment (which is where I bought them - from the Whisky Castle).

I think I'm going to take a wander into the Whisky Castle tomorrow and treat myself to something.

I've got a bottle of that but haven't opened it yet. I've got another one of their bottlings as well but can't recall what that one is, as it's down in my Edinburgh place and I'm up on Tomintoul at the moment (which is where I bought them - from the Whisky Castle).

I think I'm going to take a wander into the Whisky Castle tomorrow and treat myself to something.

The shortage of the Whisky Cellar House Malt might be because they're recently released a new version of that, so might still be getting out to stockists. The Whisky Castle had a recent delivery (hadn't even put it away yet) and I ended up getting 2 of the new Whisky Cellar bottlings. The shop had tasters of so I was able to try them.
- One was the latest edition of the House Malt - 2012, non-chill filtered and natural colour, bottled at 57.1% and from a first fill Oloroso sherry cask. Crazy bargain at under £50 IMHO.
- the other was a 9 year old Miltonduff, also non-chill filtered, natural colour and bottled at 57.1% and from an Oloroso sherry quarter cask. A real sherry bomb and lovely. It's a bit more expensive (sub £70) but worth it.

I remember what the other Whisky cellar bottling I have was - it's the 7 year old Cambeltown.

Last edited:
One was the latest edition of the House Malt - 2012, non-chill filtered and natural colour, bottled at 57.1% and from a first fill Oloroso sherry cask. Crazy bargain at under £50 IMHO.
That's the one I linked to above and was tempted by on Aberdeen which sold out pretty quick:

As you say this is new so will hopefully come in to other Stockists.
This looks like last year's: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski...ed-2021-cask-900177-the-whisky-cellar-whisky/

The shortage of the Whisky Cellar House Malt might be because they're recently released a new version of that, so might still be getting out to stockists. The Whisky Castle had a recent delivery (hadn't even put it away yet) and I ended up getting 2 of the new Whisky Cellar bottlings. The shop had tasters of so I was able to try them.
- One was the latest edition of the House Malt - 2012, non-chill filtered and natural colour, bottled at 57.1% and from a first fill Oloroso sherry cask. Crazy bargain at under £50 IMHO.
- the other was a 9 year old Miltonduff, also non-chill filtered, natural colour and bottled at 57.1% and from an Oloroso sherry quarter cask. A real sherry bomb and lovely. It's a bit more expensive (sub £70) but worth it.

I remember what the other Whisky cellar bottling I have was - it's the 7 year old Cambeltown.

Steve, if you’re still in TT can you grab me one of the 50 quid Oloroso and I can send you the cash. I can pick it up in the next few weeks when I can get over there.

Colin

Steve, if you’re still in TT can you grab me one of the 50 quid Oloroso and I can send you the cash. I can pick it up in the next few weeks when I can get over there.

I took a wander into the Whisky Castle on my lunchtime dog-walk and picked up a bottle of the 2012 House Malt for you. Scott is quite keen on their stuff (and thinks they're underpriced at the moment) so has loads in, including probably all the other Whisky Cellar bottlings.

Cheers
Steve

I took a wander into the Whisky Castle on my lunchtime dog-walk and picked up a bottle of the 2012 House Malt for you. Scott is quite keen on their stuff (and thinks they're underpriced at the moment) so has loads in, including probably all the other Whisky Cellar bottlings.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve... I will PM you

Won’t ever be buying the 18 again. TBH it’s not a great loss for me, I never could quite get why it’s rated so highly. Prefer the 10 any day.

Agree; had that bottle myself and there's no way I'd pay over £100 for it, nevermind £175... Another laughable price!

Agree; had that bottle myself and there's no way I'd pay over £100 for it, nevermind £175... Another laughable price!
For me, the whole point of Talisker is that famous briny, smoky, peppery, spiciness. Seems to lose that edge as it ages. I’m not saying it’s a bad bottling, just that I prefer smoky, peaty whisky young. And yeah, no way it’s worth nearly two hundred quid.

Anyone tried this or its variants?
Glenlivet Nadurra First Fill:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013H30MO0/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
The price is very keen but I'd be concerned by its youth...and likeness to rocket fuel at 60.3%...although the photo (which is out of date) shows 59.1%. The reviews suggest the actual bottle delivered is a bit of a lucky dip which is fair enough given the batch nature.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The price is very keen but I'd be concerned by its youth...and likeness to rocket fuel at 60.3%...although the photo (which is out of date) shows 59.1%. The reviews suggest the actual bottle delivered is a bit of a lucky dip which is fair enough given the batch nature.

No; but as you've said, cask, non chill filtered etc and c£35; I'd say that's a go'er!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I dunno…they talk about it going well with clam chowder. Seems a bit cynically positioned for the US market.

Had a Nadurra a few years back. Seemed quite a bit darker than that bottle. Pretty good as I recall, seem to remember it was being punted as cheaper alternative to A’bunadh.

Had a Nadurra a few years back. Seemed quite a bit darker than that bottle. Pretty good as I recall, seem to remember it was being punted as cheaper alternative to A’bunadh.
Sounds like the Oloroso finish rather than the First Fill which is bourbon.

advertisement

Back