advertisement

When Jazz Met Hip Hop

I'm tempted to say Galliano, but I'm not sure their cockney-trust-fund stylings have aged that well. That said, the first two albums on Talking Loud have their moments, were the gateway for many into reggae, jazz and funk and they were great fun live.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I foolishly forgot Herbie Hancock.
A lot of jazz isn't for me, but Dis is da Drum is really great and have fuly investigated HHs catalogue for more Jazz/Hip Hop gems.

Akua Naru is new to me and sounds great! Would you recommend starting with '...The Journey Aflame' or another album?

The name Galliano is familiar, but can't remember ever hearing them or even knowing what forms music they were making. There's defiantly potential so will investigate the 1st two albums.

Thanks again to those spending time on me. I'm off to the record shop!

Archie Shepp with Raw Poetic and Damu the Fudgemunk.

Madlib's Shades of Blue remixing Blue Note is an absolute classic.

Biz Markie's mix for Diggin' On Blue Note series is a lot of fun - the tracklist is pretty much every late 60/early 70s BN rare groove album you want.

Akua Naru is new to me and sounds great! Would you recommend starting with '...The Journey Aflame' or another album?

The name - "be happy" in Japanese.
I saw her live in Nottingham about 3 years back - Peggy's Skylight - a fabulous evening.

She is an American academic living in Germany and very little is available in hard copy. Live & Aflame Sessions is heaven, The Darkest Joy is a great album. To be honest, there is so little out there, have a listen via YouTube and buy what you like - I suspect that you'll like all of what little there is.

All redundant physical media here, and so begins the wait for the postie.

A fellow ludite!!! Welcome to the clan!!!

"Must-haves" available as download only do get downloaded here, and then burnt to CD..................... a totally crap option, but........

I live in hope of a few to be reissued in hard copy......................but am not holding my breath.

I've been loving Awon, Sleep is the cousin of death album recently.

Another worthy of a listen in same chilled vein.

Soulchef, Escapism

I have an extensive collection of hip hop, including quite a bit of jazzy, jazz-hop type stuff. If you like either of them, I'll write you a list of similar relaxed/chilled stuff.

Not to my taste, or even close, gents, but SO much easier with links (which I would investigate for my own musical curiosity....................)

Yes please for jazz/hip hop fusion recommendations @Amormusic. Sorted for HH.

Street Jazz is new to me and brilliant, thanks @Vinny!
Is that the name of the act?
It's Awon, Sleep is the cousin of death, as per my rec above. Vinny has linked it (I don't know how). Also have a listen to Soulchef.

I'm out atm, but my collection is pretty sizeable. Will write you up a list 2moz.

Thanks for clearing that up. One thing is sure - I'm always confused!
My GP once commented she can't tell wether I'm sedated or not.

advertisement

Back