advertisement

New walnut finish on Rega's Planar 1 turntable

I'm sorry but I think it just looks..cheap. Like ProJect or some other ultra-budget turntable
Looks Cheap like Project
rpm-10-carbon-2-1024x684.jpg

ortofon_century_turntable_full_1616543970_c7366aa8_progressive.jpg

01.jpg

C3B679B8-EAAC-4B05-9461-B2F9F7697739-scaled.jpeg

And yet folk used to love their faux walnut finish Pioneer PL-12D, Kenwood/Trio KD-1033, and various Duals of old.

Wasn't the best choice in the world, but back in time this was my first "serious" turntable. Spent a whole day in Tottenham court road. This fed a "home" made amplifier I made at college at the time which again wasn't the best thing on earth!

5c573e7e476bbde15f6ff1544ff5

Not a fan of the walnut Rega 1, nor the shiny piano finish of the RP8, RPI0. I always thought the original P9 looked smart.

This late 80’s Planar 2 with a touch of green and flatter black finish was a nice look.

kT3B88C.jpg

Not a fan of the walnut Rega 1, nor the shiny piano finish of the P8, P10. I always thought the original P9 looked smart.

"shiny piano finish of the P8, P10" ? ...Do you mean to say the almost 10 year old now RP8 & RP10?

The newly released P8's & P10's are a very tasteful satin like black, not a piano finish "gloss"..

"shiny piano finish of the P8, P10" ? ...Do you mean to say the almost 10 year old now RP8 & RP10?

The newly released P8's & P10's are a very tasteful satin like black, not a piano finish "gloss"..

Yes, I corrected my post. Satin looks better.

Of course the Linn LP12 now comes in absolutely any colour plinth you would like as it is available in all the RAL colours as an optional extra. It will also sound much. much better too.
It's just the extra £3k or so that might be a deal breaker though L.O.L...

Not a fan of the walnut Rega 1, nor the shiny piano finish of the RP8, RPI I always thought the original P9 looked smart.

This late 80’s Planar 2 with a touch of green and flatter black finish was a nice look.

kT3B88C.jpg
I'm a real fan of Rega's green text/logo on a black plinth, it really works well. Better IMO than the white text/logo on my Planar 3.

kT3B88C.jpg
Is this a post DIY Planar service pic, John?

If so, then I suspect we should be calling it a service/upgrade, what with that Klyde on.

Is this a post DIY Planar service pic, John?

If so, then I suspect we should be calling it a service/upgrade, what with that Klyde on.

No, it’s in storage. It’s in nice shape, though it could use a new belt and motor suspension. I bought it years ago for my kids to use.

The photo was taken when I used the Klyde to make some comparative recordings of it versus my Technics SL-1200. Used the same cartridge on each. Best Rega 2 I ever heard though the speed was noticeable slower compared to the Technics. Had to use Audacity software to alter the recordings to match the speed.

The Rega to me was more musical but both decks are classics. The Technics is a cooler looking showpiece sitting adjacent to the hifi. The Rega Planar 2 with the smoke dust cover was nothing special to look at.

h6xGHBf.jpg

Jesus, I'm starting to feel guilty with all the love for the retro - I'm almost ready to do an SRM Azure upgrade on a Planar 2 (RB250 arm with the green writing). Because it's got the older motor, the only thing I'll be using off this turntable is the arm itself (putting in a combined main bearing/subplatter upgrade, minor arm upgrades too. Did I mention skinning the tops of the 2 acrylic plates with carbon fibre? Hoping I can pull that off, but... yeah. If anyone wants to retro their Planar 2, I'll have a bunch of bits to spare ;)

Alternatively, if anyone has upgraded their Rega to the 24v motor and still has the old bits (in particular the motor that attaches to the underside of the chassis with sticky pads, not the rubber band mount one) I've got a want ad placed for them :)

I don't know why Rega switched to the red as their colour. The green was really nice. At lest they did settle on one colour! There was a time when they couldn't seem to make their mind up.

advertisement

Back