advertisement

Naim solstice price

Hey all, I am actually getting to listen to one of these tomorrow. Admittedly in an unfamiliar demo room and with Naim equipment I am not that familiar with, but it will be interesting to hear how it sounds. I had an LP12 for decades and now am a very happy Gyrodec owner, but just want to hear the Solstice so at least I can then praise it/slag it off based on some experience. Will report back when I have had a listen. Just looking out some records to take with me.

@tiggers this is exactly the wrong sort of attitude, you know better than this, you should give authoritative comment despite no interest in ever listening to or, heavens above, buying a product. Then double down and take on the world. Here you are showing your complete lack of understanding by actually going to listen to a product to make an informed decision. Where will it end? I demand the mods step in and stop this nonsense before it takes root and pfm goes to hell in a handcart.

Good on you, hope you enjoy the dem even if it isn't for you and you don't much like it, fwiw I expect that despite a lack of familiarity with the set up, if you can take some point of reference recordings with you, much of the nature of the beast will be revealed. Happy hunting.

@tiggers might I respectfully suggest that under those circumstances the only way you’ll learn much is to compare the Solstice with another TT. Either one you know well, or one at a competitive price point. In fact, ideally both of those criteria.

In any case, have fun.

I think you will find its a nice sounding table, one that doesn't really do anything wrong, but at the same time doesn't really do anything really well, if you get what I mean.
It's certainly not the most detailed and certainly doesn't get everything out the grove like some do, but it bookies along nicely.
Just needs a much better cartridge and phono stage as the arm is probably the best bit and the turntable/motor looks to be well engineered.

I'm still a bit surprised we haven't see the phono stage bit

I guess those boxes are build by Naim while Clearaudio build the deck ?

Anyway Naim forum administrator (or was it another from Naim) indicated a lot of new boxes were ready for release, parts shortage delay though.
That was a comment around the time Munich High End show were present.

Per, do you mean new boxes as in the Solstice parts will go on sale separately or new as in previously unreleased things (a new 552 or whatever)?

(apologies if being dim)

New unreleased, my understanding is they will release new phonostages, maybe PSUs - pre - powers, DACs or other kit ? in the new Solstice design cabinets.

@tiggers might I respectfully suggest that under those circumstances the only way you’ll learn much is to compare the Solstice with another TT. Either one you know well, or one at a competitive price point. In fact, ideally both of those criteria.

In any case, have fun.

Yep, good point. Going to ask if they can put an LP12 of some description up against it as while it's years since I sold mine it is a deck I know the strengths and weaknesses of. TBH I'm just intrigued to hear what it can do. I used to be heavily invested in Naim, but only have a few of their products these days preferring the likes of Rega and ATC for my serious listening, but I still have an immense amount of respect for the brand and find it irksome that so many seem to wish failure upon the company and would revel in it to boot. Sure it's not the same as in JV's day and much of the range seems expensive, but no one is forcing anyone to buy it and I think the fact they are still producing quality kit half a century on is something to be celebrated.

Agreed. Slight shame they’re now French. I’m a Francophile, just not sure Focal are taking Naim in the right direction but I’m very much from the outside looking in these days.

Naim is my favourite brand. I wish it much success in the future. Don’t think turntables are the right direction though.

Many ?
I don't believe I have seen one single poster wishing that.
I may have missed that post of course, perhaps old grumpy man syndrome ?.
No, you haven’t missed it, you’re part of it. As for me being old and grumpy keep your judgemental crap to yourself in future or I’ll give you my opinion of you and we’ll see how you like that!

The Clearaudio collaboration is very clearly stated on the Solstice page of the Naim website. The deck itself was designed by Roy George and built by Clearaudio for Naim

Interesting design and fascinating to watch the assembly video's on YouTube. A touch of Phonosophie about it which IIRC was the go to for some ex-LP12 users back in the day.

OK so yesterday was interesting. Listened to a Solstice package via 82/250 into some Neat Motive SX1s. Wanted to keep the amplification and speakers in the realms of something I know well hence why it's a bit under-specced for the front end, but it gave me some sort of benchmark. Also listened to a Akurate LP12 with an Ekos/Kendo (I think) through the same system by way of some comparison.

So what is my verdict? Well I've never been very good at describing sound, but I will have a go here. First impressions are of a product that sounds like a Naim product of old to an extent. It is not the most neutral or analytical turntable/arm/cartridge combo, but it sure extracts a lot of information and presents it very musically with that light mid bass emphasis that old Naim products always used to have. The bass in general though is beautifully controlled and the top end never gets ragged but the extremities are fully explored as much as any turntable I have ever heard. Overall though the experience of each recording just made me smile and enjoy the music, I found myself just getting immersed in the sound and not worrying about things like whether there was too much sibilance or the bottom end was bloated... it just makes music basically. For reference we played a selection of my favourite tracks including Kraftwerk - Radioactivity (remix), Kate Bush - This Woman's Work, Talk Talk - Living in Another World, Talking Heads - Burning Down The House and The The - Uncertain Smile none of which are 'special audiophile test tracks', but tracks I know well and love.

Moving over to the LP12 (which I didn't have as long with and only compared a few tracks) I was greeted with a slightly different sound with more bass bloom and a definitely slightly higher noise floor than the Solstice, but again the turntable made a lovely job of presenting the music and making it cohese for want of a better expression. In the end (and I appreciate it was a shortish session in an unfamiliar room) I genuinely couldn't say which I preferred although both were demonstrably better than my own turntable (albeit a much lower specced Gyrodec), but neither can hold a candle aesthetically to a Gyrodec with the Naim being particularly ungainly in the flesh due to the platter size (not that aesthetics matter to many of course).

Fundamentally though it is a law of diminishing returns at this sort of price point and I felt both the LP12 and Solstice were excellent for their price and among the very best vinyl replay I have ever heard. I certainly see no reason to slag off Naim's achievement here other than to say I think the making it only available as a package might be short-sighted, but it's definitely a Naim sound and look regardless of who makes it. While it's not perfect nothing ever is and I think they should be applauded for their first foray into turntables. For me it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Good to hear some real comments for a change! One day, I’ll find the time to write down my thoughts too

Thanks for that, Tiggers.

I think the price for the package that includes arm, cart, phono stage and power supply is very reasonable and competitive in comparison with higher end turntables out there. I'd certainly consider it if I were looking at a new table.

advertisement

Back