advertisement

Naim solstice price

One turntable sold as I know the guy that got it, he even got it cheaper than advertised.
He likes it and went from a rega P10 to it, he will be selling a rega aura soon as well, as tried it with the naim turntable but wants to keep it all naim

How’s that for a former reference product. Bargain!

They cleverly replaced NDS with ND555 which is supposed to be one level up, at least in the numbers.
Smart move.
With new price increase next month, I dare not think where it ends.

Interestingly, there are currently 14 NDSs on eBay uk right now, many around £2300 (£6250 in 2012) some even serviced with new screens. How’s that for a former reference product. Bargain!

To me, S/H prices are a good guide to VFM on a lot of products. I bought a Core for £1K with lots of memory - remover the Naim label and that is still a reasonable price to me for 2-year old product with no moving parts. By contrast, a 20-year old just-serviced Hicap hasn't depreciated much, and is worth more now than 5 years ago. As for old NAP 52s...

We can't tell yet what the market will decide about the Solstice, but with a run of only 200 I suspect that there will always be a marginal 'just because' buyer to help pricing on the few that change hands in 2024/5/6/7.

I thought it was more like 500?

Doesn't seem there are going to be any more however, contrary to what everyone seemed to think last summer.

It was 500 not 200.
The price increase in September/ apparently some prices are going down, not up. Some are saying the same and few are going up slightly, this info is from naim and references to part increase or reduced price, etc.

Don't think we will see any more turntables as naim dealer couldn't sell all they had, but it looks like naim just about got the numbers right, even with the get it now, while you can, way of trying to sell them

If they had to buy back a number of these decks to avoid cheapskate conditions, the Solstice range might not expand on short terms.

I'm genuinely surprised the Solstice had not flown out the door, given how many well-heeled and dedicated Naim fan-boys there are out there. I mean, it's comparable in price to the top-flight LP12, no? To me, that could only mean a couple of things. It's not as good as expected, or the Naim brand is suffering some damage with the Clearaudio association.

In either case, it seems Naim has misjudged this flagship product, and I imagine the Focal executives won't be particularly happy with this blunder.

James, I think the manufacturing link with Clearaudio is the perceived issue. Nothing wrong with Clearaudio at all as they make superb decks, but it is an unexpected partnership and you have to wonder if the Solstice is a one off, and if so, what happens to long term support for spares / repairs. This could be of concern to some potential customers and put them off.

If I wanted a Clearaudio, I'd just buy the Clearaudio and do without the party frock. Although (editing) the new perspex fronted cases for the Solstice power supply and phono stage do look very good indeed.

I thought it was more like 500?

Doesn't seem there are going to be any more however, contrary to what everyone seemed to think last summer.

You are right! Blame senility, not a phone keyboard.

The boxes may be interesting for showing what more boxes will look like next year, However, you are right that, if the outcome had pleased Focal, we’d probably be hearing about Solstice 2 around now.

Well from their point view having a reference product being sold off at ridiculous prices doesn’t bode well for them or owners or dealers
I have spoken to UK sales representatives who have assured me and other dealer who invested that the offending units if being offered by bonafide dealers they were actively getting them to remove listings
Obviously if it’s second hand then nothing can be done excessive t for them to attain them on the QT
Is that… even legal?

Perhaps if Naim actually designed and built the turntable there might be a market for it. But they didn’t. It’s a Clearaudio turntable with a Naim badge. Who are they trying to kid?

James, I think the manufacturing link with Clearaudio is the perceived issue. Nothing wrong with Clearaudio at all as they make superb decks, but it is an unexpected partnership and you have to wonder if the Solstice is a one off, and if so, what happens to long term support for spares / repairs. This could be of concern to some potential customers and put them off.

If I wanted a Clearaudio, I'd just buy the Clearaudio and do without the party frock. Although (editing) the new perspex fronted cases for the Solstice power supply and phono stage do look very good indeed.
Or the manufacturing link with Naim.

I think,perhaps people don’t see Naim as turntable makers. They perhaps should have begun with an entry level TT devised entirely by Naim. To enter with such a high price and so obviously saddled to a well known TT manufacturer with a particular style was a mistake. And dare I say, greedy.

Their main purpose is to generate max profit to investors.

I'm not sure if they thought Clearaudio origin could be kept secret, or if they in fact have spelled this out at some point.

The Clearaudio collaboration is very clearly stated on the Solstice page of the Naim website. The deck itself was designed by Roy George and built by Clearaudio for Naim

You are right! Blame senility, not a phone keyboard.

The boxes may be interesting for showing what more boxes will look like next year, However, you are right that, if the outcome had pleased Focal, we’d probably be hearing about Solstice 2 around now.

Sorry, wasn't trying to nit pick, just a thought. Not really a significant number in the great scheme of things either way.

I'm still a bit surprised we haven't see the phono stage bit, cart or Aro 2 separately. Particularly given the vast gulf between the price of a not very good Stageline and a Superline/Supercap (and yes I accept the Superline can be powered by other things as well!).

Imagine where Linn would be if they’d taken the same approach to amps and streamers. I agree with @Del monaco , an entry level, totally in-house TT aimed at the Majik LP12 and Rega RP10 market might have been a better start. Lots of options with power supplies, arms and cartridges to offer it at various price points. The question in my mind is, do a significant number of people actually want a Naim TT? Maybe if they’d started in 2006/2007 when Linn went digital they might have had some success but who would have implemented an analogue strategy back then? Who new vinyl would become all “trendy”. I love my Naim kit but I feel that the age of lots of boxes is nearing its end. If I ever do replace mine, it will most likely be with something resembling the New Dynaudio focus range, two speakers with amps/dacs/streamers built in. Nice and tidy :) . Although would be nice if they were a bit cheaper.

advertisement

Back