advertisement

Small footprint floorstanding speaker ideas

fim

pfm Member
I have to admit I am currently quite happy with my current pair of speakers (Peak Consult Empress) and I’ve had them for a number of years but the missus has started complaining since we moved because they have wooden side panels and look “old fashioned” (her words) and do not go well with the living room furniture and colours.

While that’s not a huge pain point currently, I’m beginning to think if I ever moved on to another pair what could that pair be. Given that I would only buy used/second hand, my strategy pretty much boils down to setting up some alarms on ebay to get notified when something interesting comes up and I’m trying to collect more ideas about potentially interesting speakers to consider/look out for.

Now, the constraints are:

* Need to be full range passive floorstanding speakers (aka no space for subs, not interested in bookshelf speakers)
* Needs to look somewhat “modern” which I don’t know what it means but it seems like aluminium or otherwise painted enclosures seem to qualify
* They need to have a small footprint because I live in a London flat and space is scarce (current speakers are roughly 29 X 38 cm and I’d like to keep it roughly thereabouts)
* The need to be somewhat efficient (>=88db) to be on the safe side
* If they don’t weight a tonne, that’d be a huge plus but not a deal breaker

Ideally any suggestion should at least be able to match (if not better) my current setup (I know this is subjective but I’m looking for subjective recommendations) and I mostly listen to rock/metal/jazz so they need to boogie as well. Soundwise, if was to change something on the peak consults, that would be a more pronounced bottom end but that’s mostly me nitpicking :)

The only ones that I have found that could potentially fill all of the requirements are Magicos (S3/S5?) but they’re on the expensive side and I’m curious if there are other options that could potentially fit the bill.

Bah, posted in the wrong side of the forum. Can someone move this to the audio section please?

Vinyl wrap to a suitable colour 2000+ colours

That’s a interesting proposition. Can this be removed if I decide to sell them at a later date or is this permanent? Anyone who has done it and can share thoughts/opinion on this?

Reactions: glb
The Totem Arro has a tiny footprint, and you can drive them with a Nait 1. They also work close to the back wall (6”), plus they look very cool. I’ve had a set for 10 years and they still amaze me…

That’s a interesting proposition. Can this be removed at a later date if I decide to sell them at a later date or is this permanent? Anyone who has done it and can share thoughts/opinion on this?
its not permanent and easily removed... talk to your local car body shop.

Reactions: fim
The Peak Consults are very accomplished and IIRC, not inexpensive, so any replacement is going to have to come from the higher end.
Have you considered Fyne Audio? The boat-backed 700 series looks modern and is available in white, or piano black I think.

The Peak Consults are very accomplished and IIRC, not inexpensive, so any replacement is going to have to come from the higher end.
Have you considered Fyne Audio? The boat-backed 700 series looks modern and is available in white, or piano black I think.

I’ve listened to one of their speakers (50x series I think) powered by naim electronics and I thought they seriously lacked oomph so I’m not sure if it’s a good fit for the type of music I listen to.

Some other options that I’ve considered and they’re close to my requirements were PCM Fact 12, Kef ref5, and also Raidho and Borresen speakers but I haven’t had the chance to listen to the last two in person yet. Based on sound alone, my ideal speaker would probably be a JBL S9800/9900 for what it’s worth.

Vinyl wrap or just paint them?

Are you going to sell them realistically?

And if you make a half decent job of it..they will look better / more modern anyway

I’ve listened to one of their speakers (50x series I think) powered by naim electronics and I thought they seriously lacked oomph so I’m not sure if it’s a good fit for the type of music I listen to.

Some other options that I’ve considered and they’re close to my requirements were PCM Fact 12, Kef ref5, and also Raidho and Borresen speakers but I haven’t had the chance to listen to the last two in person yet. Based on sound alone, my ideal speaker would probably be a JBL S9800/9900 for what it’s worth.
I wouldn’t expect the 500 series to supplant your Peak Consults, but the 700 series are a different beast. Do you use Naim electronics? I’ve not heard Fyne on the end of Naim, so can’t really comment on the lack of oomph, though that’s not something I’ve ever thought was a problem with the Fynes I’ve heard.

Another thought: Egglestonworks. Paint finish in a variety of colours, good oomph, great with jazz. Might need a bit of fannying around to get the best out of them, but worth the effort.

I had PMC Fact.8. Narrow but quite deep. The wife loved them. 90db and very easy to drive. My one complaint was not that good at low volume.

Stick thin sheet aluminium over the wooden side panels your missus doesn’t like. Alternatively, buy aluminium leaf and oil ‘gild’ the sides. Either is easyish to reverse dependant on material choices.

Even if it looks rubbish your missus will thank you for trying and you can keep speakers you like.

Tell your wife to piss off. Man up and tell her to go and do something useful.

I don't matter what she likes today, she'll want something else tomorrow. Tell her she can pick your speakers when you can pick her dresses and shoes. If you go down this route she'll keep going. Turntable are so old fashioned, do you need so many boxes. Tell her the stereo isn't there to look pretty, it does a job and if she doesn't like the way it looks, too bad.

Marriage counseling genius, it's a gift :0)

advertisement

Back