advertisement

New walnut finish on Rega's Planar 1 turntable

I heard that it was likely to cost a bit more - I don't know whether that's been confirmed now. £30?

It's certainly different, but looks cheap n cheerful which of course it's meant to be. As long as it helps bring more into the joys and tribulations of vinyl, good on Rega!

Nice to have another option I think. I just do not care for the high gloss black finish for the P3, I rather like the matte black better. Like anything, hard to accommodate everyone's taste and still remain in the business.

As someone that refuses to have a black turntable since replacing a Dual 505iiDL many eons ago. I think it's much better, wood or wood-look is king. The glossy non-black colours are fun if your decor can stand it.

Its refreshing and following a trend, Rega need to apply into entry level demands.

For me the gloss black is yesterday, much prefer matte black.

I like it.

If I was in the market for a TT around this price, I'd prefer this one to the standard finish version, depending as ever on the extra cost.
Of course, seeing it in the flesh, my view may change.
Andy

Looks a bit Fablon.
Not a patch on the very early Planar 2 with the wood surround.
https://images.app.goo.gl/FcfG2Gg1Zr8A5TuUA
I think it was wise of Rega not to attempt to make it too '70s Planar 2 like. It wasn't until I saw the following photo that I warmed to the look. Seems as bit ironic now that Rega have moved away from wood for their entry model loudspeaker, though. Perhaps we'll be seeing Kytes with this as optional front baffle finish soon.

FY0ljg-XXk-AAga-MQ.jpg

I'm sorry but I think it just looks..cheap. Like ProJect or some other ultra-budget turntable. Worth remembering that it's not wood, it's not wood veneer, it's a plastic wrap with wood print on it. Like a cheap desk.
And yet folk used to love their faux walnut finish Pioneer PL-12D, Kenwood/Trio KD-1033, and various Duals of old.

Sure, they could have put real tree veneer on, but then folk would be expected to pay Planar 2 money for a P1. Or, they could have just left well alone and stuck with the matte black and matte white.

Regardless, the market will decide if this is worth the extra.

advertisement

Back