advertisement

Not to turn this into a furniture thread, but what about the TV stand? It has a very Børge Mogensen feel.

Bit random but I found it at LaRedute, it does look nice and is pretty solid but I got it at a great sale price, not sure I would pay the full price. It does fit full width components but is limited by depth (taking into account speaker/rca connectors etc. You could however cut out some more space at the back hardboard.

https://www.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-350108850.aspx#searchkeyword=tv stand&shoppingtool=search

Another update, I bought a longer mains cable so that's nice and tidy, I have bought a pair of Auralex Gramma V2s which are working well, up until a point anyway, with very bass heavy music at high volumes the floor still starts to vibrate a lot, but a lot less than before! I have a Rega wall shelf for the P7 to go up at some point too.
Also finally got round to putting a basic TV system together, a pair of bargain KEF 3001SE to go with the Castle Sub, a MiniDSP 2x4HD to do the DAC/Pre and Crossover and a Bantam Stealth (on its way) for the power amp.
Feeling a bit more lived in now, with the LPs unboxed and some pictures put up around, as well as the remaining acoustic panels.

I’d like a nice big plant for the far corner but the Wife would like a big corner sofa, so some negotiations going on there. At least hifi wise, no issues, pretty much carte blanche… (now to kick off the DIY speaker project!).

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System

Living Room
Jealous of the Zebrano-looking finish on your Ref3s, looks more striking than the Rosetta Burr of mine!

This is my main setup in the basement. It is connected to a couple Sonos Amps on the main level living room and three season porch so I can listen to LP’s on those systems as well.

h6xGHBf.jpg

Another update, I bought a longer mains cable so that's nice and tidy, I have bought a pair of Auralex Gramma V2s which are working well, up until a point anyway, with very bass heavy music at high volumes the floor still starts to vibrate a lot, but a lot less than before! I have a Rega wall shelf for the P7 to go up at some point too.
Also finally got round to putting a basic TV system together, a pair of bargain KEF 3001SE to go with the Castle Sub, a MiniDSP 2x4HD to do the DAC/Pre and Crossover and a Bantam Stealth (on its way) for the power amp.
Feeling a bit more lived in now, with the LPs unboxed and some pictures put up around, as well as the remaining acoustic panels.

I’d like a nice big plant for the far corner but the Wife would like a big corner sofa, so some negotiations going on there. At least hifi wise, no issues, pretty much carte blanche… (now to kick off the DIY speaker project!).

System

System

Living Room

Fantastic space, looks fab

Nearly there...

Is the rack from Ikea?

20220716-141940.jpg
20220716-142148.jpg

Just got to finish the new plinth for the LP12 & carry out some serious cable dressing.

This is easily the best sounding system I've put together, greatly helped by a room that just seems to "work", even more so since adding more furniture & of course the rug!
Most visitors first response is "where's that bass coming from"!

Still awaiting the return of my 303 from Amplabs which when combined with my Spendor 11ohm LS3/5As will give me a different flavour of Quad/LS3/5A goodness.

TS

Waxxy:

As I've commented before, beautiful turntable!

I am guessing you are using a Yamamoto carbon fibre headshell. How do you find it and how is it different from a more conventional aluminium one? I have one too but am currently using a basic Ortofon HS with my AT MM cartridge in my 12" Jelco manufactured Transrotor arm.

Thanks hockman! You are correct that is a Yamamoto carbon fiber headshell. I purchased a variety of headshells for my Kenwood KD-990 back in the day as I had a handful of cartridges to try. But to be perfectly honest I've never done a direct comparison between the stock aluminum headshell and the Yamamoto. The stock headshell is quite heavy though at 17 grams, so the two are different in that way also...not just material differences. Sorry I couldn't give a more definitive response.

Thanks Waxxy. I am just lazy & will try my Yamamoto soon one day. It’s just that my AT440 is so enjoyable as is. I am sure there will be a difference, just not sure if better or worse. The whole thing is also confounded by the different carts I have to play with.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about this silly hobby of ours, it’s if it works well, don’t mess with it! This attitude has helped me avoid stupid audiophile merry go rounds & frustration.

Should have also mentioned the purchase of a REL T/5x sub which can just be seen under the right hand speaker, at the moment just letting it run in before trying some different settings and positioning.

Quick update, I now have the Quad's on 45cm stools, unsure if this was going to be too high but at the moment I am very happy as they are. Also I purchased a set of DNM Reson speaker cable (solid core), this is very light in weight and doesn't stress the input sockets on the Quads.

not all keys are working on my laptop

They need to be higher IMHO, and tilted forward. Even at this height, try sticking a 2cm book behind them to make them parallel to floor :)

They need to be higher IMHO, and tilted forward. Even at this height, try sticking a 2cm book behind them to make them parallel to floor :)

I've put a couple of those rubber washing machine vibration feet under the rear of each speaker to tilt them forward a little, and having just looked, does make the base parallel to the stands. Don't really know how I can make them higher without spoiling the looks, although I'm happy were they are since I'm listening nearfield.
Thanks for the tips though :)

advertisement

Back