advertisement

Tory Leadership Runners and Riders

With my responsible hat firmly on my head, this has been the week when the Truss façade has cracked https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-rows-previous-calls-send-WEAPONS-Taiwan.html

But is too late. They are too invested in her.

There will be lots of this in future. Clearing up her incompetence. Cummings has warned she will be worse than Johnson.
Echoes of Boris- you were warned but you still elected. This way the country gets to experience what real Truss fails mean rather than just the rhetorical variety- cheese, Russia, Margaret Hilda pussy bows. The problem is it’s going to be very very expensive.

Truss leads by almost 40 points in the latest poll:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1554551470900527107

No idea how this squares with the other recent poll that showed only a single digit lead.

I just find it startling that no-one is talking about the huge elephant sitting on Sunak which is that he has brown skin and therefore it is impossible that the largely racist conservative members will vote for him. If the mad Truss leads by forty points in a poll she leads by far more in reality.

It is not even a competition yet everyone pretends it is; it's just utter nonsense.

I don't agree with every word of this but the overall message is correct: the idea that Truss will be easy for Starmer to beat is sheer complacency:

https://unherd.com/2022/08/why-labour-should-fear-liz-truss/

McTernan is a former advisor to Tony Blair (and a bit of a right wing anti-union scumbag, to be honest) but I think he's right about this.

Interesting thanks, I like this bit:
(Sunak)"comes across in the leadership debates like the cleverest boy in the class. His hand is up first. His answers are always by the book. His contempt for Liz Truss is withering. And it is all digging him a bigger and bigger hole, because while you can respect the smart kid, it’s really hard to warm to them".

So there is a bit about humility along with ethnicity.

Sometimes I ask a clearly multicultural group to get themselves in sub-groups that are as diverse as possible. But they don't, they pretend they are colour blind. However if you tell them what you mean when you say 'diverse' i.e. a mixture of gender, ethnicity, age, etc they can and do.
I can only assume it gives them permission to talk about it.

If Sunak wants to have a chance his camp need to start talking about it.

Now I loath the conservatives but if we must have them in power at least elect someone with basic competence.

I don't agree with every word of this but the overall message is correct: the idea that Truss will be easy for Starmer to beat is sheer complacency:

https://unherd.com/2022/08/why-labour-should-fear-liz-truss/

McTernan is a former advisor to Tony Blair (and a bit of a right wing anti-union scumbag, to be honest) but I think he's right about this.
I would give him 5/10 for his "Only New Labour can not be afraid of Truss" piece.
The last sentence had me laughing
"After all, there are no accidental Prime Ministers, and like the rest, Truss has guile, will and talent".

I think PFM is welcoming of experts if they appear to make reasonable efforts to explain things in a manner that the rest of us might reasonably be expected to understand, rather than trying to appear intellectually superior.
That is contrary to evidence, but as a mod has indicated that he has already made up his mind about any response, I will have to leave it there

I second Decameron's suggesting to contain MMT to one or two MMT/economics threads. The endless promotion of MMT in tangentially related threads is getting very tiring - verging on thread crapping. I've resorted to putting several posters on ignore, but I'd rather not do that to you because I like your non-MMT posts and I think we share common goals politically, but perhaps differ (but not by much) in how we might get there.

MMT - May Manifest Tensions...

Sunak seems to be pursuing a ‘be more Brexity’ strategy, in his desperate need for Conservative member votes. Today saw him saying, ‘we need to move away from the ECHR definition of asylum. It is far too broad…’ (Twitter) He proposes using the 1951 UN Refugee Convention instead. By implication, he is proposing to leave the ECHR and Council of Europe, which means abandoning citizens’ recourse to a non-national court in all areas of Human Rights law.

I don’t know what it says about the Conservative membership, but the longer the leadership race goes on, the worse the policies of both candidates get.

Sunak seems to be pursuing a ‘be more Brexity’ strategy, in his desperate need for Conservative member votes. Today saw him saying, ‘we need to move away from the ECHR definition of asylum. It is far too broad…’ (Twitter) He proposes using the 1951 UN Refugee Convention instead. By implication, he is proposing to leave the ECHR and Council of Europe, which means abandoning citizens’ recourse to a non-national court in all areas of Human Rights law.

I don’t know what it says about the Conservative membership, but the longer the leadership race goes on, the worse the policies of both candidates get.
Or the winner can just do what Boris does- make a lot of promises then do nothing once in office. Just trot around hospitals, laboratories and building sites in a variety of outfits and have your picture taken and hold drinks parties at Chequers

the idea that Truss will be easy for Starmer to beat is sheer complacency

I don't recall seeing anyone on here seriously state Sir Keeer will wipe the floor with Liz Edam (holes in her policies).

Most folk on PFM are realistic enough to recognise the distance that needs to be travelled given the unprecedented scale of Labour's 2019 GE defeat under Corbyn.

Blair's 97 victory was partly due to the progress made by Kinnock at the 87 and 92 GEs following Foot's 83 disaster.

And it is made more difficult by Labour losing Scotland and the continued dominance by the Right of the press.

So yes Shikira has his work cut out.

They’ve clearly screwed up the economy (safe management of which being the Tory party’s historic lie) to the extent millions are in absolute poverty and millions more on the brink. All they have left to sell is demonising, scapegoating, division and crushing authoritarianism. Sunak is now advocating for re-education camps for those who “vilify the UK” by abusing the ‘Prevent’ strategy (Guardian). National pride will be enforced by state mandate. Nothing fascist about that at all, obviously.

Reactions: PsB
Campaigning for the Tory leadership is something that should be done over the dark web. Making out that this filth is part of some kind of national debate pollutes the public sphere and drags politics even further to the right. The Conservatives have already built a whole polity around the worst instincts of the worst people in the country but this is grotesque.

Campaigning for the Tory leadership is something that should be done over the dark web. Making out that this filth is part of some kind of national debate pollutes the public sphere and drags politics even further to the right. The Conservatives have already built a whole polity around the worst instincts of the worst people in the country but this is grotesque.
The whole way it’s been framed by the media is a rancid distortion. It’s been presented as “Britain Chooses Its Next Prime Minister”, like a bad episode of Royal It’s a Knockout compèred by a pair of prolific sex offenders.

National pride will be enforced by state mandate. Nothing fascist about that at all, obviously.
Christ. They'll have to sign me up. I detest lots about Britain: its narrow-minded Brexit Island mentality; its nonagenarian benefits scrounger and her family of in-breds; its absurd political system, rigged in its lower house and stuffed with political nominees and frigging bishops in its upper.

Last edited:
Christ. They'll have to sign me up. I detest lots about Britain: it's narrow-minded Brexit Island mentality; its nonagenarian benefits scrounger and her family of in-breds; it's absurd political system, rigged in its lower house and stuffed with political nominees and frigging bishops in its upper.

I like the music that comes from here though and our Hi-Fi manufacturers. Totally agree with the bit about “the frigging bishops” - not a pretty sight.

advertisement

Back