advertisement

Marmalade

Actually, Chilly, my ante-penultimate batch was mad in November/December simply from common or garden oranges plus lemons, grapefruit and a couple of limes. Reason was that Sainsbury's were selling off surplus and soon to expire stocks; as I can resist anything except temptation I came home with an inordinate amount. All turned out as good as any other batch. Sure, Sevilles are the right choice (more pips if less juice) but not an absolute requirement for waiting until everybody else is being creative. Maybe this should be a sticky?
I did exactly this with short-coded oranges in Asda. After 7pm they sell off all the about-to-expire fruit at 10p an item, this turned out once to be bags of oranges so I bagged the lot. ate some, juiced others, cooked about 2kg into marmalade. It's great. The only snag is dragging yourself round the supermarket at the appropriate time; when I had one around the corner from the hotel where I was staying it was easy, less so when you have to leave the house and travel for a while on the offchance that they have something worth bagging and not just a few leftover carrots.

Actually, Chilly, my ante-penultimate batch was made in November/December simply from common or garden oranges plus lemons, grapefruit and a couple of limes. Reason was that Sainsbury's were selling off surplus and soon to expire stocks at silly prices; as I can resist anything except temptation I came home with an inordinate amount. The marmalade turned out as good as any other batch. Sure, Sevilles are the right choice (more pips if less juice) but not an absolute requirement for waiting until everybody else is being creative. Maybe this should be a sticky?

Maybe marmalade was invented to deal with inedible Seville oranges?

Pete

this thread is slowly coming to a sticky end.

I dont think i'll be making any soon as i dont eat enough of the stuff. But i think i will buy something from a place recommended.

Maybe mentioned already???? An after-thought anway -

Using fat on toast with marmalade destroys and modifies lots of the marmalade flavours.
If not your custom already, try just marmalade - much more intense and sharp flavours (and fewer calories).

Maybe mentioned already???? An after-thought anway -

Using fat on toast with marmalade destroys and modifies lots of the marmalade flavours.
If not your custom already, try just marmalade - much more intense and sharp flavours (and fewer calories).

already do that sometimes. Mind you I quite like the taste sensation of a smear of salted butter with my marmalade.

Make yourself a Cheese and Marmalade sandwich (or from toasted bread). Butter too. Experiment with how deep/sharp you want the Marmalade. The Lime or grapefruit etc marmalades do not work as well as the trad. Orange types. Cheese can be anything from soft or spreadables through to Mature Cheddar. Blue types are not so successful. Not tried Goats or Sheep types but would expect them to be good.

I have converted a couple of friends to this. My Brother in Law now takes Cheese and Marmalade sandwiches into work!

Cheese and jam sandwiches have been a favourite in some parts for many years, just variation upon a theme.
My father was born and bred in Colchester (Essex), and but for the war, would never have wandered very far at all. When he joined-up, his regiment was the KOSB's - he trained in Scotland in part and first came across them there.

There's nothing new under the sun.

Make yourself a Cheese and Marmalade sandwich

makes a lot of sense that - i am always partial to a bit of fruitcake with my cheddar. A slice of strong cheddar atop a slice of malt load is heaven.

Cheese melted on toasted hot-cross buns is divine. As is Marmite on toasted hot-cross buns......

Maybe marmalade was invented to deal with inedible Seville oranges?

Pete
Of course. Just like jam is the home for fruit that's gone over, cider is the home of apples that are well past their best, and all the rest. We currently have more food than we need, but it wasn't always the case. Historically there have always been outlets for slightly dodgy stuff, be it jams, soups, stocks, or whatever. I'm only going to give it to the pigs if it really can't be used.

Cheese and jam sandwiches have been a favourite in some parts for many years, just variation upon a theme.
My father was born and bred in Colchester (Essex), and but for the war, would never have wandered very far at all. When he joined-up, his regiment was the KOSB's - he trained in Scotland in part and first came across them there.

There's nothing new under the sun.

Same here, later on i was also born in the Colchester Maternity Hospital. Father trained in Prudhoe and the coast up there. My father met my mother in the Red Lion on the high street.

Same here, later on i was also born in the Colchester Maternity Hospital. Father trained in Prudhoe and the coast up there. My father met my mother in the Red Lion on the high street.

Not literally - "same here"? Your father was surely never in the KOSB's?

An amazingly small world...............................:)

Not literally - "same here"? Your father was surely never in the KOSB's?

An amazingly small world...............................:)

Just the Colchester bit!

Mine was Essex regiment based in Colchester then SOE.

Don't think he'd have strayed far from Essex otherwise.

Make yourself a Cheese and Marmalade sandwich (or from toasted bread).

Most unadulterated cheeses, but esp. Cheddar, is symbiotic with orange-based marmalade; been having this for yonks. Not only does it taste good, nutritionally it IS good. Protein and fibre. There must surely be some nutrition in sth so delicious as marmalade but who cares?

Sausage and marmalade sandwich.

Yuk! Bad for you; processed food. You'll be advocating bacon and marmalade sandwiches next ! Doesn't cut the mustard at all.:D

I can't believe it's not marmalade!

PXL-20220805-201744767.jpg

Given this for wrangling a neighbours menagerie while they visited Portugal.
Only other ingredient is cane sugar.
Informed by neighbours it's good thinly sliced and served with cheese, so that's the plan.

advertisement

Back