advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page 3 rescue post à la MB: had to have another Musar after the wobble last week. Son's birthday today gave the excuse. Pleased, and relieved, to report the Musar last week was an aberration.

52252090896_021188a345_z.jpg

Perrin Ventoux 2019. Absurdly good for the <5€ I paid. I’ll never see that price again. No matter, still 13 left. Lovely, horribly moreish and very difficult to stop at half a bottle. I failed. Never mind, I managed all the major scales today so I deserved a treat. And it’s Sunday tomorrow. (Not that it makes any difference to an OAP, but cut me a little slack...)

52252090896_021188a345_z.jpg

Perrin Ventoux 2019. Absurdly good for the <5€ I paid. I’ll never see that price again. No matter, still 13 left. Lovely, horribly moreish and very difficult to stop at half a bottle. I failed. Never mind, I managed all the major scales today so I deserved a treat. And it’s Sunday tomorrow. (Not that it makes any difference to an OAP, but cut me a little slack...)

Gaston is looking trés raffiné or is it rakish.

Last edited:
Saint-Pourçain AOC , supposed to be one of the oldest wine growing areas in France .I'm struggling to understand where it is.Is it Rhone department?
Anyway I love the mix gamay/pinot noir pleasant enough with some lunchtime pasta.£7.95 from TWS
prolly 3-4euros in France.
Just had two bottles now finished which is just as well with the imminent arrival of le Ronsay '21 which
surely will take over as a go to.£9.95 outrageous bargain at TWS.

I bought another bottle of this just to see, and just had some of it with lunch. It is what it is: cheap industrial claret. But very drinkable cheap industrial claret, a pleasure for me at least, to quaff. Unbelievable value at about £8 a bottle.

I would certainly recommend it over Vinatis’s Terres D’orb, especially at their current price - terres d’orb is a good cooking wine, but one glass is enough for drinking.

This Médoc is a good sipping wine, in a way, too good for the daube! Certainly too good for a party of people who aren’t wine heads. It’s like Guigal CdR in that respect.

I’ve got a case coming on Sunday.

I'm clearly not very good at internet ordering, three bottles of wine arrived at full price, instead of the dozen I was expecting with a 25% discount. It has been sorted out with a call to Sainsburys but I feel a bit disappointed and somehow badly treated -- it's one thing not to be able to supply the order, but why didn't they contact me and discuss it? Instead it's for me to phone them and hang on till I'm put through to someone in the "refunds team."

I'm turning into a grumpy git -- I'm in the right place obviously. I must be learning from xxxxxx. (You can fill it in.)

Like so many good winey things, it was a tip-off from @BTC3

https://www.wineware.co.uk/de-longs-france-metro-style-wine-map

Perfect. I have a really good frame which needs a picture and it will fit. I just need to find a place for it.

52253443057_42da5549f8_z.jpg

Syrah tonight, please, Gaston, I said. He whizzed through CT, smiled and beetled off to the cellar. There was a lot of Gallic swearing. Eventually he emerged and gave me a long stare. When I saw the bottle I understood. It had been in an unopened box of six about four boxes from easy reach.

I’m glad he persevered, though. I probably wouldn’t have considered this for a year or two, and it’s rather good. Delas are vignerons-négociants and a little coy about how many of their own grapes make it into a bottle, but no matter. Still young, fairly tannic, a reasonable amount of oak and most definitely lots of Syrah. Good choice, mon ami, I look forward to seeing how the other five develop.

52253443057_42da5549f8_z.jpg

Syrah tonight, please, Gaston, I said. He whizzed through CT, smiled and beetled off to the cellar. There was a lot of Gallic swearing. Eventually he emerged and gave me a long stare. When I saw the bottle I understood. It had been in an unopened box of six about four boxes from easy reach.

I’m glad he persevered, though. I probably wouldn’t have considered this for a year or two, and it’s rather good. Delas are vignerons-négociants and a little coy about how many of their own grapes make it into a bottle, but no matter. Still young, fairly tannic, a reasonable amount of oak and most definitely lots of Syrah. Good choice, mon ami, I look forward to seeing how the other five develop.

Great foto,what gear are you using?

"Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,
But to be drinking Le Ronsay was very heaven!"
Wordsworth (a later turncoat)I think wrote that just having
received a six pack,deliveries in those days were erratic.

Le Ronsay it's the gift that keeps on giving.
DPD have managed to screw up a delivery from Vinatis 4 part cases apparently they're sending it back!Dicks!I got the email for the CEO ,so it's "escalated" but they're fekn useless on this occasion.Prolly they've got no local drivers so fek it just send it back

Last edited:
Sometimes you just have to rough it: found a half bottle of Leeuwin Cab Sauv (the cheaper Prelude line) that had been open for 2-3 weeks and just kept escaping from the cook pot.
And then a Graffigna Cab Sauv gift that I didn't like that much, but probably my fault as it might have been a tad cold. Even tried mixing them which was not too bad... amazingly.
At least I cleared the decks.

52259276736_562bb97645_z.jpg

Cabernet Franc from the Young and Exciting Matias Riccitelli. It isn’t like your CF from the Loire, not at all. For the first thirty minutes I would have believed you if you had told me it was a Malbec. Slowly, more of a CF start and finish seemed to appear - or was it just my brain hunting for it? Either way, I like it a lot. Argentina doesn’t do subtle, and that suits my mood tonight. 5,000 bottles produced says the label, which means I had 0.16% of the production in my cellar before tonight. And (he said, taking another mouthful) I might just have to up that figure some more. Lovely stuff!

Despite being a warm night, the wind is whistling across the garden and wobbling the trees and shrubs about. I thought A Secret Wish would make a suitably dramatic accompaniment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back