advertisement

Marmalade

So far as pectin is concerned - you need enough to get a set, and I BELIEVE that oranges aren't as high as lemons - hence you add lemon juice (or pectin - can't remember the name, but in a bottle), to things like strawberry jam, which has all but none, so won't set.

Apples have plenty too - easily extracted by boiling skins and cores.

If you use the pith and pips and all the pulp in Seville oranges you generally have enough pectin to only need the juice of one lemon, if even that. There's a lot less pectin in regular oranges though

If you use the pith and pips and all the pulp in Seville oranges you generally have enough pectin to only need the juice of one lemon, if even that. There's a lot less pectin in regular oranges though

Marmalade would nomally use whole Seville oranges - adding a lemon is just adding the juice of a lemon, plus a bit more solids.

Every country is good at some foods and useless and others. The Spanish make the best marmalade in the world, nothing else holds a candle to it. If you want a decent paella you have to go to Valencia, if you want decent pasta you have to go to Rome, for a decent curry go to northern India, best BBQ's comes out of South Africa, steaks come from the USA and the English make the best Fishermans pie.

It defies logic but it's true.

Have made my own m'lade for yonks, and it keeps for years; still eating 2019 vintage. I have 3 fruit (Sevilles, grapefruit and lemon) and 4 fruit (the above + limes) I like it tart (a.k.a. bitter). I've just finished a majority lemon m'lade (lip-smackin'). I hate the work involved, so make 30 to 50 jars at a time, using sterilised jars, filled hot and therefore vacuum sealed. SM marmalades are simply ersatz and boring (and too sweet). Unfortunately, my family descend on me from Feb. onwards and I have to ration give-aways as I don't make it every year (it's a full 14 hour shift). Preparation is the killer.

Yeah but then what? I need guidance.

Cover the fruit with water and simmer until they are soft, (save the water)

Cut up the fruit into smallish pieces, peel size to your taste, remove the pips and put everything else into a preserving pan. Add the original water and bring to the boil. Add the sugar, stir and bring back to the boil and simmer for an hour or so.

Using a small plate or saucer that you have previously placed in the freezer test a small drop of the mixture to see if it sets, if not simmer a while longer and repeat. When done fill sterilised jars.

Cover the fruit with water and simmer until they are soft, (save the water)

Cut up the fruit into smallish pieces, peel size to your taste, remove the pips and put everything else into a preserving pan. Add the original water and bring to the boil. Add the sugar, stir and bring back to the boil and simmer for an hour or so.

Using a small plate or saucer that you have previously placed in the freezer test a small drop of the mixture to see if it sets, if not simmer a while longer and repeat. When done fill sterilised jars.
I’ve never done it before. I thought it was all thermometers and copper pans.

Well our preserving pan is actually a very large cast brass paint kettle formally the property of Barrow Shipyard and handed down from Mrs BMs Grandmother. My Mum`s aluminium one worked just as well. Never could see the point of thermometers for preserving purposes.

I’m certainly not a food philistine but, after much faffing with citrus in season over the years, have to declare that the Mamade cans produce decent marmalade. The can contents are chock full of pectin so you could always tinker with the instructions (for not much money) if you wanted variations.
I also do a lemon or lime marmalade in which the fruit are simmered for 2-3 hours. Family and friends love it all - there again I give it away so I suppose they would.

Have made my own m'lade for yonks, and it keeps for years; still eating 2019 vintage. I have 3 fruit (Sevilles, grapefruit and lemon) and 4 fruit (the above + limes) I like it tart (a.k.a. bitter). I've just finished a majority lemon m'lade (lip-smackin'). I hate the work involved, so make 30 to 50 jars at a time, using sterilised jars, filled hot and therefore vacuum sealed. SM marmalades are simply ersatz and boring (and too sweet). Unfortunately, my family descend on me from Feb. onwards and I have to ration give-aways as I don't make it every year (it's a full 14 hour shift). Preparation is the killer.

Another vote for the Three fruit, that's what we make

Coedcanlas is great, a bit pricey but worth it, but their carriage charges killed it for me. We used to buy it from Booths, but they don't stock it now, it seems. :(

We've made our own, and will do again next year, and it's better than anything we can buy, except for the 'set'. Our first year was too runny, and our second year, despite being boiled for just a couple of minutes more, was like toffee. I've clearly not yet mastered the art of judging the set from how it runs on a chilled saucer.

The set is a bit of an art. Even now, despite making it every year, sometimes I make a batch which needs quite a bit of persuading to come out of the jar.

I suspect freezer cold just reduces the temp of your specimen more quickly. Nudge the drop, if you see it wrinkle, it’s done I’ve found.

I made some "confiture d'orange" style marlalade earlier this year, without peel, from sweet oranges. It's very nice, of its style, and not like Seville marmalade.
A few observations:
You don't need to add pectin to citrus jams and marmalades, pectin is made from citrus peels. Red fruits will give a soft set unless you add a bit of apple, minced orange, lemon or similar.
Commercial pectin should be avoided, it makes the jam far too stiff. You want a soft set. People add too much of the stuff and it's awful.
You generally don't need to add water that you subsequently have to boil off. My orange jam didn't have any, I just diced it up and brought it to the boil, at which point the juice releases. You can add your sugar at this point.
Sugar is essential, you need about 1:1 against your fresh fruit weight (neglecting the peel weight). Significantly less than this will not keep. However by all means experiment. The bitterness comes from the citrus peel content and not from the absence of sugar, bitter marmalade is still >50% sugar.
The set is a moveable feast, test it on any cool plate. Don't overthink it. It will also go quite quickly as you approach the set point, so watch it. It may also burn on the pan, be careful. Also be careful re safety, this stuff is at 130-140 deg C, it sticks like sh*t to a blanket and it will give you a proper burn. Treat it accordingly.

Who said this area doesn't contain anything important!?!

We've never managed to make marmalade to a high standard, but my wife knows an elderly lady with guru skills.
She makes it and we barter with her. It's perfect!
The recipie is here somewhere if you'd like it @gintonic

The set is a bit of an art. Even now, despite making it every year, sometimes I make a batch which needs quite a bit of persuading to come out of the jar.

This is the bit that really only comes after some practice and experience. There are myriad different methods (I've never boiled the whole fruits for instance, preferring to cut and shred first and boil with the pips and pith in muslin), but the judgement in getting to a good setting point without overcooking it and introducing caramelised notes can be tricky. I would say that Seville orange marmalade demands Seville oranges, anything else is just jam!

advertisement

Back