advertisement

Marmalade

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
give us your favourite. Needs to be nice and bitter. Not sweet.

Am thinking of making something interesting.

Not a huge fan of anything but orange.
I used to buy Frank Cooper Original Vintage, but that hasn't be available in Tecso's for months. Almost as good - Tesco Finest - Dark Seville.

If you spend only a little time searching online, LOTS of home-made preserve fanatics make marmalade from just the peel - freeze any citrus peel as it is available until they have enough for a batch.

I make my own, it's easy, although Seville oranges are only available in the local greengrocer for a few weeks each year, usually around February, so I buy a few kilos and make enough to last a year.

Assuming a kilo of oranges, put them in enough boiling water to cover them and simmer in a large covered pan for a couple of hours. Remove the oranges and let them cool a bit, keep the liquid. Scoop all the pulp and seeds out of the oranges and force it all through a sieve into the liquid. Finely chop the peel and add that, all of it. Add a bit more water, and sugar to taste (I use less than most people because I like it bitter), and a bit of lemon juice for the pectin. Boil it up for 25 minutes or so and then pour it into warmed sterilised jars. Best marmalade ever.

Although there's a lot of pectin in oranges, you still need enough sugar to create the right chemistry for the marmalade to set properly. Just google a few recipes and figures out the least you can get away with, my guess is it will be not much less than the original weight of the oranges.

Mot recipes add one lemon to around 1kg or Seville oranges.
Sugar varies from 1:1 with oranges to 2:1 with oranges.

You do add water but then boil/reduce until you get a set.

Simple maths required - :)

Frank Cooper is moderately sharp.
Made with 30% Seville oranges
Seville oranges are around 10% sugar (so, they contribute - ? to the sugar content? Not much)
Total sugars in Frank Cooper - around 50%

Looks like you need 1-1.5 : 1 sugar to oranges.

Simple maths required - :)

Frank Cooper is moderately sharp.
Made with 30% Seville oranges
Seville oranges are around 10% sugar (so, they contribute - ? to the sugar content? Not much)
Total sugars in Frank Cooper - around 50%

Looks like you need 1-1.5 : 1 sugar to oranges.

thank you - useful

My wife makes fantastic marmalade with Seville oranges, but they are in the shops around the turn of the year, not mid summer.

Unfortunately no clue on the recipe but while in Spain, a very lovely English expat lady, made her own from locally grown Seville oranges.
The most amazing marmalade I have ever tasted. She made both sweet and bitter, my wife loved the sweet and I devoured the bitter.
I have never since encountered it's equal.
Thank you Dianne.

So far as pectin is concerned - you need enough to get a set, and I BELIEVE that oranges aren't as high as lemons - hence you add lemon juice (or pectin - can't remember the name, but in a bottle), to things like strawberry jam, which has all but none, so won't set.

Apples have plenty too - easily extracted by boiling skins and cores.

Home made is best, I make all my own jams and it’s going to be a bumper crop this year, so blackberry, plum lime and ginger, and mirabell and orange, I need to buy some jam jars.

Pete

Time for me to fess up. I have competed many times in the World Marmalade Awards ( all the way from Canada ) and won many bronze and silver certificates - though gold still eludes me by half a point. Anyhow - here is one of the best preserve makers - Pam Corbin's recipe.
https://www.dalemain.com/pam-corbins-seville-orange-marmalade/
(Two parts sugar to one of fruit )
There are also videos of her on the You Tube.

Happy jammin'

advertisement

Back