advertisement

chord qutest owners question

hifi-dog

pfm Member
i have just got one of these and been running it overnight in t'interweb radio and its quite warm to the touch. it in an isoblue rack so not open all sides. its certainly not hot but on a par with my supernait 3 temp when its had a good thrashing.
Normal? or not?
ta

Difficult to compare as mine is in the open but it's barely warm.
The Qutest is designed to stay on all the time so maybe just monitor it periodically.

Mine isn't on just now as I was staying with my GF and working and stuff so i switched it off. But I'm sure mine runs comfortably warm i.e. operationally warm but still quite comfortable to touch.

After I upgraded the external PS to a Plixir Elite BDC, mine never gets over 81F in a 72F ambient room. Prior to that, with the factory smps, it would hover around 87-89F depending seemingly on sample rate (same ambient).

now that's interesting...oddly its running cooler today even though the ambient here is pretty much the same.

just a further observation, its been running with an mcru linear supply for the last couple of hrs and its noticeably cooler... weird huh

hard to say at the moment as only on quietly as working and teenagers still asleep! ill report back over weekend..

hard to say at the moment as only on quietly as working and teenagers still asleep! ill report back over weekend..
I'll be interested to hear what you think.
It's something I've considered but I always come back to Rob Watts position that it's not necessary.

I'll be interested to hear what you think.
It's something I've considered but I always come back to Rob Watts position that it's not necessary.

I obv can't speak for hifi-dog, but there was an obvious increase in SQ when I replaced my OEM SMPS with the Allo Shanti. And an even larger increase when I replaced the Shanti with a PlixiR Elite BDC. It's measureable in a physical sense; I can point to the locations in my room where the soundstage used to end with the Shanti and where it ends now with the Elite BDC in terms of width and height. Other obvious improvements such as a reduction in glare, increase in the vividness (tone color) and texture of instruments, better bass damping/texture/resolution, etc etc.

@webster , Well the difference with the Mcru supply is fairly clear, more open yet relaxed, smoother but with an impression it’s just cruising , like a small car with big engine. Bass possibly seems a bit leaner but I’ll do a proper dem switching with the smps tomorrow but first impressions, good, really good. Especially used price!

With the 2Qute a linear supply makes bugger all difference but I have one lying around and use it anyway. There is a case that removing a SMPS might remove system noise generally. And I don’t have a Qutest so probably shouldn’t have posted.

@webster , Well the difference with the Mcru supply is fairly clear, more open yet relaxed, smoother but with an impression it’s just cruising , like a small car with big engine. Bass possibly seems a bit leaner but I’ll do a proper dem switching with the smps tomorrow but first impressions, good, really good. Especially used price!
I'm not a lover of switching from one to another - I always think that going back to something after an extended period gives a more accurate and obvious impression.
I'd be lying if I said I'm not becoming a wee bit tempted though.;)

advertisement

Back