advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Cutting Blue Train from Joe Harley’s Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CghVE5MgDLl/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
Further quote from Joe...
“We did both versions because there are actual mono tapes...This was during the brief period when Rudy was using mono and stereo tape decks. The mono is for those who just want the OG mono and don't care about the out takes. The 2-LP Stereo has the extra booklet, photos, etc and will cost more.

The CD was cut by Kevin as well”.

Blue Note promotional video:

Bit of an incidental question…I have Blue Train on Classic Records mono from 2005…and it has a sticker on the front of the sleeve “sample intended for promotional use only, compliments Classic Records”. Which is nice. It sounds fantastic but I wondered if it was particularly rare?

Has anyone managed to pre-order the Blue Train LPs? Can’t find any UK vendors yet.
They are now on the UK Blue Note store, but at a big price increase over what until now has been typical Tone Poet UK prices. The Single Mono (incorrectly stated as the Complete Masters) is £49.99. The double Stereo (correct as Complete Masters) is £69.99.
https://shop.bluenote.com/*/Vinyl/

Supposedly on Amazon at the same prices, but I can’t find the Tone Poets there myself. There are some reports that Universal are making these the new ‘standard’ Tone Poet (Euro Equivalent) prices across Europe. If that is the case I think I am out not only for the above, but for most in future.:(
The double Complete Masters CD is £15.99. A bargain in the context of the above.

Bit of an incidental question…I have Blue Train on Classic Records mono from 2005…and it has a sticker on the front of the sleeve “sample intended for promotional use only, compliments Classic Records”. Which is nice. It sounds fantastic but I wondered if it was particularly rare?

It will certainly be rare, all Classic Records pressings are sought-after, though promo-stamping/stickering tends not to command a higher price outside certain specific areas. It may add a fiver or tenner, but nothing crazy. Some dealers do really try it on though, I’m thinking more of stuff finding its own price in auctions. As an example I found a nice tub of mid-late-70s Decca SXL test pressing at the local auction of all places a few years ago and I just stuck them up in the classical list at the price that SXL title would usually make. Some are still there! Real Veblen goods like UK Beatles, Blue Note first pressings etc obviously play by their own rules.

They are now on the UK Blue Note store, but at a big price increase over what until now has been typical Tone Poet UK prices. The Single Mono (incorrectly stated as the Masters) is £49.99. The double Stereo (correct as Complete Masters) is £69.99.

Supposedly on Amazon at the same prices, but I can’t find the Tone Poets there myself. There are some reports that Universal are making these the new ‘standard’ Tone Poet (Euro Equivalent) prices across Europe. If that is the case I think I am out not only for the above, but for most in future.:(
The double Complete Masters CD is £15.99. A bargain in the context of the above.

LOL £70 for a reissue on a $6bn major label? They can get to ****.

LOL £70 for a reissue on a $6bn major label? They can get to ****.
Yes it is ridiculous. Probably just greed. Current increases in oil, energy costs and transport costs were predicted to result in an approximate £2.00 on vinyl record prices. Universal owns the licences on all these Blue Notes, has a world wide distribution network and probably pays the artists or their estates vey little or nothing.

The prices in the US seem to have increased by less than $5 or not at all for some stores. So Universal is really trying it on in Europe. Especially if this is to become the new standard. Will we also see a similar percentage hike in BN Classic prices?

Don't forget everything in the supply chain plus the transport costs, wages etc. Nothing's cheap and it's all afftected by fuel price inflation! My vinyl buying habit has halved this year at least.

Edit:

Tone Poets (standard singles) are $38.98 ($28 for a Classic Series) on the US Blue Note Store, including the Mono Blue Train. How that translates to sterling with the current UK inflation is anyone's guess.

The next Craft release the, Hamton Hawes in the Contemporary Series, is £43 without shipping, for example!

@poco a poco

Wow, that’s quite a price hike.

Vinyl is already a fair wedge of my meagre earnings, and I’d already planned to be a lot more discerning on what I buy but these Coltranes will probably lead me to buy nothing else for a month or so. I’ll buy both the mono and stereos and from now on have a serious listen via streaming of any other new releases.

Thats a really big increase - i totally get that prices on everything are increasing, but that is a massive % increase, so hard for them to really justify - as other have said, this seems to be a case of pricing them according to what they think the market will sustain and not as a reflection of the actual costs - i always query when you get such a "rounded figure" (£49.99) - if they said "£41.49" at least you get the impression that somewhere in there is a calculation based on the true costs

Regarding the Blue train reissues, I just checked and although I knew I had the 45rpm stereo from Analogue Prods, i had forgotten that Ron@music matters sent me a whole load of test pressings for the 33rpm series, including one for the mono blue train (and yes, I do know how fortunate I am and how nice it was of Ron) so I really don't need that again, although I am tempted by the out-takes on the stereo set (the link posted included an alt version that was very nice) so I will probably end up getting that release, but will feel a little bit swindled by the price :(

They are now on the UK Blue Note store, but at a big price increase over what until now has been typical Tone Poet UK prices. The Single Mono (incorrectly stated as the Complete Masters) is £49.99. The double Stereo (correct as Complete Masters) is £69.99.

I agree: that's a huge % increase.

Two thoughts:

1) Blue Trane, while often rated as one of the best recording in the Blue Note category, is a long way from being the best Coltrane release IMO. I'd probably not put it in my top 10 as I much prefer the work with the classic quartet and many of the Impulse recordings. It's an important part of the Coltrane journey but it just doesn't excite like the work that followed.

2) I increasingly feel I'd rather pay for vinyl from current artists, via Bandcamp, their websites or in store, who actually benefit from my spending and in some ways are then supported to create more music. The TPs have been a great compensation purchases during the pandemic but I'm feeling less and less inclined to invest in back catalogue from BN or others now more normal service has been resumed. There will be a few I can't resist( the Craft Sun Ra for example) but I've already become far more selective and this will just add to that process.

The next Craft release the, Hamton Hawes in the Contemporary Series, is £43 without shipping, for example!
It was just over £31 on Amazon with free shipping if you have a prime when I first looked. I should have pre ordered then as they hiked the price a few days later to over £43. But that is just an Amazon rip-off in this case not due to a general increase in vinyl prices. You can still pre order from Craft’s own UK site for £29.99.
https://craftrecordings.co.uk/produ...eries-180-gram-lp?_pos=3&_sid=d6d0e50c6&_ss=r
Amazon has also been increasing there preorder prices on The Classic Series Of late. The first pre order price was over £29 it has slowly dropped post release, but is still £25.90. Blue Note store price is £20.99. Honest Jon’s £22.

It was just over £31 on Amazon with free shipping if you have a prime when I first looked. I should have pre ordered then as they hiked the price a few days later to over £43. But that is just an Amazon rip-off in this case not due to a general increase in vinyl prices. You can still pre order from Craft’s own UK site for £29.99.
https://craftrecordings.co.uk/produ...eries-180-gram-lp?_pos=3&_sid=d6d0e50c6&_ss=r
Amazon has also been increasing there preorder prices on The Classic Series Of late. The first pre order price was over £29 it has slowly dropped post release, but is still £25.90. Blue Note store price is £20.99. Honest Jon’s £22.

Same on Juno Jim - these high prices look set to become the new norm for the US imports I fear. I paid £24.24 with postage yesterday for Dial S. To be fair I only wanted a Classic Series Blue Train too - when they get it right the quality is just as good as the TPs.

There will be a few I can't resist( the Craft Sun Ra for example) but I've already become far more selective and this will just add to that process.

That is also for pre order £29.99 on the Craft Site.
https://craftrecordings.co.uk/produ...-sun-ra-180g-lp-1?_pos=2&_sid=a499818ef&_ss=r
And £31 .70 on Amazon at present.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=sun+ra...ix=Sun++Ra+,aps,334&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_7
It further shows there is no real logic in these price increases.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Any chance that the prices quoted are unique to the Blue Train reissues? Looking at Diverse's website and they are showing £33 for Grant Green - Feel The Spirit (Amazon 37.99) & Kenny Burrell - Kenny Burrell (Amazon 33.99) Of course it's possible they haven't been informed of increased Dealer prices.

Same on Juno Jim - these high prices look set to become the new norm for the US imports I fear. I paid £24.24 with postage yesterday for Dial S. To be fair I only wanted a Classic Series Blue Train too - when they get it right the quality is just as good as the TPs.
I paid £23.08 on Amazon when I pre ordered on 15th July. Arriving tomorrow.

Any chance that the prices quoted are unique to the Blue Train reissues? Looking at Diverse's website and they are showing £33 for Grant Green - Feel The Spirit & Kenny Burrell - Kenny Burrell. Of course it's possible they haven't been informed of increased Dealer prices.
Mike, while it is possible that they are asking extra in the case of the Blue Trains. Universal have announced there will be general increases to some European dealers. We will have to wait and see what they finally settle out at.

In the case of the Grant Green and Kenny Burrell these were available to order from 9th April. I got both for £67 from Amazon then. As the Universal and the Blue Note store set their price then I guess they are sticking with it. Amazon has hiked the Grant Green to £38. I can no longer find the Kenny Burrell there.

advertisement

Back