advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Txakoli Ameztoi

20220724-193529.jpg

20220724-193524.jpg

52239035214_45ef2f640d_z.jpg

Part 1 - outside in the drizzle under the parasol. Sorg night! 2014 Gewürz VV - the last bottle, and possibly starting to show its age although still lovely. Another trip to Eguisheim is mandatory in the next eighteen months or so. Paired with FMlJ.

52238759748_43ed790a50_z.jpg

Part 2 - forced indoors by the strong wind that was threatening to blow the parasol over. Gaston saw me fumbling with some Roquefort I bought in Waitrose yesterday and swiftly produced a half of Waitrose/Suduiraut Sauternes, which had loads of marmalade and honey flavours and proved to be a fine match. In a slightly melancholy mood having been forced indoors on a July night, I put on some Kevin Ayers. Although his music isn’t always melancholy per se, I find his career trajectory from light and carefree to darker and resigned rather sad. Mainly down to lack of application and his love of the bottle, said mates like Robert Wyatt. Obviously I can’t imagine such a thing. I’d quite like to ramble on about Kevin for a bit, but a separate thread may be a better idea.

52243820064_c6ca4117e4_z.jpg

Time for a couple of old favourites. Tonight it’s l’Ancien 2018. It’s great. We all know that, and I wouldn’t bother mentioning it - except Christmas Wine is languishing on page 3, which isn’t good enough considering some of the nonsense on page 1.

Tonight this is paired with a fine display from the bat Red Arrows (one shown as a blur above right-hand Genelec, trust me, really) and Matching Mole’s Little Red Record, an album I bought on the day of release. Robert Wyatt could really swing as a drummer, and Julie Christie (for it was she, under a pseudonym) is having a great time providing some of the comic turns. I wonder if Robert holds the same views today (“I’d rather have the Chinese here than Europe on me thrust!”) that he did 50 years ago?

A couple of dry evenings in an effort to rest the liver. It's hell.

My son and his GF here for a week this evening so the rest won't have been a long or adequate one.

Bought a bottle of Muriel Rioja 2019 from the coop last night £6, brilliant value for money and a decent wine, think it’s discounted by £2.

Nice light ,fruity,creamy Chardonnay.
At Majestic.In case you're wondering the last word
in the description is "burrosita" ...buttery.
I quite like this.

A couple of dry evenings in an effort to rest the liver. It's hell.
I’ll be doing that next week prior to blood donation. It isn’t a requirement, but it seems like a decent gesture. I don’t find any difficulty in laying off for a couple of days, but I tend to feel even blearier in the mornings. That’s not the way my teetotal friends say it should be - or at least I’m guessing it wouldn’t be, were I unfortunate enough to have any.

I’ll be doing that next week prior to blood donation. It isn’t a requirement, but it seems like a decent gesture. I don’t find any difficulty in laying off for a couple of days, but I tend to feel even blearier in the mornings. That’s not the way my teetotal friends say it should be - or at least I’m guessing it wouldn’t be, were I unfortunate enough to have any.

I think they look forward to seeing you,so your blood can be dialysed for some high end CdR.

Also @John Phillips
On offer at £10 and the Buy 6 save 25% off is on at my local Sainsbury's.

I bought another bottle of this just to see, and just had some of it with lunch. It is what it is: cheap industrial claret. But very drinkable cheap industrial claret, a pleasure for me at least, to quaff. Unbelievable value at about £8 a bottle.

I would certainly recommend it over Vinatis’s Terres D’orb, especially at their current price - terres d’orb is a good cooking wine, but one glass is enough for drinking.

This Médoc is a good sipping wine, in a way, too good for the daube! Certainly too good for a party of people who aren’t wine heads. It’s like Guigal CdR in that respect.

I’ve got a case coming on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back