advertisement

Streaming question

I compared the SBT to a Korean standalone streamer with a decent separate DAC and couldn't hear any difference. Also compared one standard SBT to an SBT with a Chord Qutest DAC, no difference, except with one filter setting on the Qutest.
Now looking a the Gustard R-26 R2R streamer/DAC for 1700 euros, but not sure I'd notice any difference. LMS is brilliant, too. Free and not a huge load like Roon.
Even with its own internal Dac, the Touch is competitive. If you find an optical cable that can output up to 192, with galvanic isolation, it’s very competitive. Snagged at great condition Touch one on EBay for £67 so well chuffed. Can’t wait to get reacquainted.

I’ve had the SBT for many years and it’s never let me down, my only criticism is the rubber on top off the remote has a tendency to degrade. That said it still works without issue.

My thinking is things have moved on over the years and that’s why I’m looking at the CA 851n, many good comments about it online.

I’ve had the SBT for many years and it’s never let me down, my only criticism is the rubber on top off the remote has a tendency to degrade. That said it still works without issue.

My thinking is things have moved on over the years and that’s why I’m looking at the CA 851n, many good comments about it online.
And many good comments about the SBT. The thing is, we look at something else, buy it,then become uneasy that it is, perhaps, no better than what we had.

I have a SBT, CA streammagic 6 & a bluesound node 2i.
The best analogue out is the CA but it’s UI is the worst.
Hopefully they have improved this.
Oh & I have a CCA which is also absolutely fine at streaming via a dac.

Reactions: DCS
And many good comments about the SBT. The thing is, we look at something else, buy it,then become uneasy that it is, perhaps, no better than what we had.
If only I could learn a lesson or two about box swapping, I’d have saved a small fortune over the years, but where’s the fun in that! The grass is always greener.

Yip, and don’t get me off topic on lessons learned by the great cables debate. Been there and done that one :(

The only box I’ve kept for many years and don’t think I’ll ever sell is my Marantz PM4.
I’d like to hear one of those.

Reactions: DCS
I’m quite happy with the Rotel 965BX. It has few nasties with a great soundstage. It’s given extra verve through the Maggies. I may have a little money to spend soon though I am concerned I may spoil what I have pulled together over the past couple of years!

Thanks for the heads up on the CA 851N. I think I'm going to sell my modded Jolida and get this unit.

Originally in pursuit of SQ improvement I thought about changing the CCA into the Jolida but leaning more now to changing the DAC to an all in one streaming/DAC box.

Received my EBay Squeezebox Touch yesterday. Like having an old friend back. In great condition. Such great value still. I’ll load it with the recent Community software and get it going again at the weekend. On school hols now so plenty of time to play!

Thanks for the heads up on the CA 851N. I think I'm going to sell my modded Jolida and get this unit.

Originally in pursuit of SQ improvement I thought about changing the CCA into the Jolida but leaning more now to changing the DAC to an all in one streaming/DAC box.
FWIW I've had a fully pimped Joilda MK2, which is now gone. I've side-by-sided this to the 851N. The DAC in the 851N is no slouch and it's a hair's breadth between them.

I've now got a D33. I actually output the 851N to the D33 as I prefer this. However, the 851N is an excellent and highly versatile box of tricks. I could happily live sans separate standalone DAC as the 851Ns is decent.

They actually made an Azur DAC, from what I understand the 851N is exactly the same a this with a streamer bolted on, hence why it's so good.

Things have come and gone in my system, the 851N stays and will stay.

I may at some point if the stars align and I'm not so bloody skint jump to an Edge NQ.

Imo there is nothing to compete with the 851N at this price point.

FWIW I've had a fully pimped Joilda MK2, which is now gone. I've side-by-sided this to the 851N. The DAC in the 851N is no slouch and it's a hair's breadth between them.

I've now got a D33. I actually output the 851N to the D33 as I prefer this. However, the 851N is an excellent and highly versatile box of tricks. I could happily live sans separate standalone DAC as the 851Ns is decent.

They actually made an Azur DAC, from what I understand the 851N is exactly the same a this with a streamer bolted on, hence why it's so good.

Things have come and gone in my system, the 851N stays and will stay.

I may at some point if the stars align and I'm not so bloody skint jump to an Edge NQ.

Imo there is nothing to compete with the 851N at this price point.

That's really good to know. Maybe I'll think again at replacing the CCA.

Cheers yo.

Hi all,

I think it’s time to retire my squeeze box touch.

Is anyone currently using the Cambridge audio 851n? Not knowing anyone close by to have a listen to one, I thought I would ask what you think if you own one.

Thanks in advance.

I honestly think you would be happier getting a streamer which used the Logitech Media Server. You can make one easily, very easily, with Raspberry Pi - lots of advice online. And there are, I think, ready made ones. LMS is very reliable, flexible, and has excellent support.

And unlike Roon, LMS handles Tidal and Spotify favourites seamlessly - for FREE. And you get info about similar artists, lyrics and an album review plus bio - for FREE.

I have used LMS through the Raspberry Pi before but that’s now on a second system.

A few months ago we had a power cut and the LMS was being an absolute pain finding all the files and art work. It would get to 90% or there about, have a hissing fit and start over again. It done that for most of the day. The day after I went to try it again and it had somehow sorted itself over night. That’s why I’m looking at a new streamer.

A few months ago we had a power cut and the LMS was being an absolute pain finding all the files and art work. It would get to 90% or there about, have a hissing fit and start over again. It done that for most of the day. The day after I went to try it again and it had somehow sorted itself over night. That’s why I’m looking at a new streamer.
Are you sure a new streamer would manage next power cut better? I'd get a UPS or collect all my music in one single folder and back it up...

Are you sure a new streamer would manage next power cut better? I'd get a UPS or collect all my music in one single folder and back it up...

Everything is backed up on my nas drive, maybe I’m just convincing myself that I really need a new toy. Thankfully power cuts are few and far between.

advertisement

Back