advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

I’m sure they’ll all continue to produce many amazing things. Jazz doesn’t play by pop-band rules, so I don’t necessarily see this as a negative. One road closes, many more open, e.g. one of the two drummers is in The Smile with half of Radiohead, Theon Cross is doing his own thing, and Shabaka Hutchings is a force of nature.

I've been lucky enough to see them maybe half a dozen times and they're just astonishingly good live - the last two records did a better job of capturing the bands energy but seeing them live in a small sweaty room was incredible. I have a handful of radio broadcasts but it would be great if they released a proper live album.

Yes, I’d have loved to see them live. I’m just not comfortable enough with covid risks to have gone back to any gigs at all and I’ve missed some great stuff as a result. I’ve seen a lot of great live footage on YouTube though, they never really captured the energy on vinyl IMO (I’ve got all of it).

Been listening to Phi-Psonics, on Gondwana, quite a bit in the background this week while I work - maybe not groundbreaking, and does copy a lot from Coltrane's "alabama" on one track, and Lloyd McNeil on most of the others, but its worth some ear-time nonetheless

Not new in terms of when it was recorded, but new in terms of when it became available, is Noah Howard live in Europe vol 1 - if you like glass bead games or mid 70'S billy harper, this is definitely worth checking out (sorry if that last one was a bit off-topic)

Just listening to the three available tracks off of Forgiveness - Next Time Could Be Your Last Time, and looking forward to the full release in a couple of days.
Gondwana don't seem to be putting a foot wrong at the moment.

eta - it's quite a similar feel to the Floating Worlds Pictures album I posted above

Vinyl is in the post, looking forward to it.
I completely agree about Gondwana, another new signing are Svaneborg Kardyb who remind me of Portico Quartet in their spacy / ambient style
https://svaneborgkardyb.bandcamp.com/album/orbit

The Forgiveness LP is excellent, especially the second side. Usual superb sound and pressing quality from Gondwana.

A signed clear copy via Rough Trade landed earlier, it is really good. A fair bit of Gondwana stuff certainly lies in that area where I’m not sure whether to file it in jazz or with the rock, pop, electronica etc.

On first listen I'm rather liking the new album from Arve Henriksen & Kjetil Husebo, Sequential Streams.
Only seems to be available from boomkat at the moment.

Reactions: kjb
New: The Comet is Coming album - HYPER-DIMENSIONAL EXPANSION BEAM

Description:

The Comet is Coming returns with their second full length album on Impulse! Records. King Shabaka, Danalogue, and Betamax’s newest effort finds the Mercury Prize-nominated trio creating a musical landscape that is equally cerebral as it is physically enthralling. While containing elements of jazz throughout, this release leans further into heavy dance-hall themes, providing hypnotic, electronic soundscapes to dance to while keeping you intellectually stimulated.

TRACKLIST:

1. CODE

2. TECHNICOLOUR

3. LUCID DREAMER

4. TOKYO NIGHTS

5. PYRAMIDS

6. FREQUENCY OF FEELING EXPANSION

7. ANGEL OF DARKNESS

8. AFTERMATH

9. ATOMIC WAVE DANCE

10. THE HAMMER

11. MYSTIK