advertisement

Streaming question

DCS

pfm Member
Hi all,

I think it’s time to retire my squeeze box touch.

Is anyone currently using the Cambridge audio 851n? Not knowing anyone close by to have a listen to one, I thought I would ask what you think if you own one.

Thanks in advance.

Ha! It’s the clock that’s annoying, it looses 15mins over a few weeks. Then resets itself and the time is bang on for a few days. Apart from that it still works well.

Have a look for a lightly used Yamaha WXC-50 if you can. Excellent sound quality and modest footprint.

I moved to a bluesound & it’s very user friendly.
Not convinced it’s audio out is as good as the SBT but via a dac it’s great.

I have used the SBT with a few DACs, the best results came from a W4S DAC 1, that I regretted selling.
I have heard some good things about the CA 851n.

I have used the SBT with a few DACs, the best results came from a W4S DAC 1, that I regretted selling.
I have heard some good things about the CA 851n.
CA is good, value for money gear. It should sound well. Looking forward to arrival of an old friend! I did miss it.

Hi all,

I think it’s time to retire my squeeze box touch.

Is anyone currently using the Cambridge audio 851n? Not knowing anyone close by to have a listen to one, I thought I would ask what you think if you own one.

Thanks in advance.
I own one. It's excellent. Extremely good streamer and a very decent DAC to boot.

Where do you live? If close enough, then sure we can work out having a listen.

I’m on the west coast of sunny Scotland.
Ah okay. I'm in Bristol so we are many hundreds of miles apart. Oh well.

Happy to answer any questions though.

PS - if you do buy one, buy it from Cambridge eBay shop. They were knocking them out at £799 recently as 'refurbs'. Their refurbs are a sales gimmick and are new items. I've previously bought a CXN then my 851N I currently have from this shop. Both arrived boxed as new with fully warranty and even the cellophane on the casing. Both brand new items as far as I'm concerned.

Ah okay. I'm in Bristol so we are many hundreds of miles apart. Oh well.

Happy to answer any questions though.

PS - if you do buy one, buy it from Cambridge eBay shop. They were knocking them out at £799 recently as 'refurbs'. Their refurbs are a sales gimmick and are new items. I've previously bought a CXN then my 851N I currently have from this shop. Both arrived boxed as new with fully warranty and even the cellophane on the casing. Both brand new items as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for letting me know, I’ll contact them through the eBay shop.

I think that you may not really benefit from any of the suggestions above. The Touch is an excellent transport into a decent Dac.
I compared the SBT to a Korean standalone streamer with a decent separate DAC and couldn't hear any difference. Also compared one standard SBT to an SBT with a Chord Qutest DAC, no difference, except with one filter setting on the Qutest.
Now looking a the Gustard R-26 R2R streamer/DAC for 1700 euros, but not sure I'd notice any difference. LMS is brilliant, too. Free and not a huge load like Roon.

I compared the SBT to a Korean standalone streamer with a decent separate DAC and couldn't hear any difference. Also compared one standard SBT to an SBT with a Chord Qutest DAC, no difference, except with one filter setting on the Qutest.
Now looking a the Gustard R-26 R2R streamer/DAC for 1700 euros, but not sure I'd notice any difference. LMS is brilliant, too. Free and not a huge load like Roon.
Interesting, if you go down the Gustard route I’d be interested to hear the outcome!

Bluesound Node 2i. Simple, one-box solution and great user interface with BluOS app on my phone. It's the all-in-one solution I had been looking for when I was looking to subscribe to the likes of Tidal or Spotify.

Another vote for the CA eBay shop - got a 'refurbed' CA One from there with a good discount - it was quite clearly new ;)
Yep, a sales gimmick as tagging it as a refurb means they do not have to reduce price available elsewhere. Presumably overheads less, or higher product turnover so can accept a smaller margin than elsewhere. Either way, a sweet deal for the buyer.

NB: occasionally eBay offer discounts on stuff too. If you're after one of these the deal recently for £799 also had a eBay discount which could be applied, bringing a further £60 off. Frankly a steal at that cash.

Stick it on a watch list on eBay. They come up fairly regularly.

advertisement

Back