advertisement

fo.q tape

Only-YOU-can-prevent-foo-fires.jpg

As a designer - what's your take on the cause of these differences? To my knowledge nobody has ever reported any correlation between these type of effects and distortion characteristics - so what's going on?

As a rational man yourself I'm sure you agree that any differences must be down to something in the output voltage of the amplifier.....!

Is it that a truly well-behaved low distortion amplifier can sound "flat" and some distortion artefacts actually make the sound more interesting?

I've no idea and neither has anyone else. We know as much about why amplifiers sound different as we do about life on other planets! It's what keeps it interesting!

It's interesting to me that we don't seem to be able to explain why different amplifier topologies sound different, but we don't seem to have a problem with acknowledging that they do. It would seem more consistent with the arguments of the objective side, that we start from a position of stating that any perceived differences in amplifier sound are imaginary unless and until somebody produces measurements and/or technical explanations to show why they do sound different.

If the claims made about a magic tape include a mechanism ie vibration to heat then that mechanism should be measurable else how can the manufacturer make the claim?

Vibrate anything and there will be a transposition of heat.

First law of thermodynamics (3yrs of uni) : Energy can neither be created nor destroyed but merely transferred from one body to another, I believe that’s accredited to Emili Chatelet

(I’m sweating even thinking bout my thermodynamics studies, 3 pages of calculus to discover that “steam is wet”……….no shit Sherlock?)

Vibrate anything and there will be a transposition of heat.

First law of thermodynamics (3yrs of uni) : Energy can neither be created nor destroyed but merely transferred from one body to another, I believe that’s accredited to Emili Chatelet

(I’m sweating even thinking bout my thermodynamics studies, 3 pages of calculus to discover that “steam is wet”……….no shit Sherlock?)
Exactly so it should be possible to at least establish if any damping is taking place.

I'd wager there's no way on earth you could measure the heat increase in a damping compound from the vibration generated by a component in a piece of hifi, it'd be orders of magnitude lower than the changes in component temp caused by variance in signal level. Maybe this is where their piezoelectrical damping claim comes in......

How about the existence of aliens? Aliens wrapped in fo q. tape? Maybe aliens invented the stuff.

If the claims made about a magic tape include a mechanism ie vibration to heat then that mechanism should be measurable else how can the manufacturer make the claim?

It's simple enough to refer to the peer-reviewed academic literature published by the inventors to get some idea if you were genuinely interested. It just unfortunately takes more effort than shitposting.

It's simple enough to refer to the peer-reviewed academic literature published by the inventors to get some idea if you were genuinely interested. It just unfortunately takes more effort than shitposting.
Given that nasty response can I take it you have read the relevant academic literature ? See I'm rather confused as I can't find any academic proof that, to quote their website, the application of this material is only limited by my imagination.

Given that nasty response can I take it you have read the relevant academic literature ? See I'm rather confused as I can't find any academic proof that, to quote their website, the application of this material is only limited by my imagination.

I've made a fair shake of trying to read the relevant literature, yes. I'm comfortable admitting it's outside my areas of expertise, but it's clear that a) the inventors have deep, demonstrable experience in developing such materials, and b) they have recently published articles about materials that appear to fit the description of this commercial product in which they demonstrated, to my satisfaction at least, that the materials have measurable absorbance of vibrations in the audible band. The novelty appears to be improved absorption at lower frequencies, even with relatively thin construction, compared to conventional materials. At that point, satisfied, my interest ran out because, as I've stated, I'm nevertheless skeptical of the general utility of the material in universally improving sound quality no matter where it's applied. But if I had specific vibration problems I might consider it.

What have you and the others (with a few notable exceptions) done other than read the advertising copy and then come here to flaunt your wit to impress each other?

I'm nevertheless skeptical of the general utility of the material in universally improving sound quality no matter where it's applied. But if I had specific vibration problems I might consider it.
That is exactly my position, establishing there's an issue that is vibrational in nature is the elephant in the room, the material could well have it's uses but the wide brush cure all "if you've got straight trousers it'll give you flares" marketing is the very definition of snake oil.
Ad hoM attacks are uncalled for.

That is exactly my position, establishing there's an issue that is vibrational in nature is the elephant in the room, the material could well have it's uses but the wide brush cure all "if you've got straight trousers it'll give you flares" marketing is the very definition of snake oil.
Ad hoM attacks are uncalled for.

First, I apologize. You weren't part of the early pile-on. I got mixed up and misplaced my frustration on you.

Second, we probably agree in general on this topic. However, while the advertising copy may be broad-brushed, so has been people's rejection of the product. I kept hoping for a more nuanced discussion, one that homes in on any actual potential utility with actual informed opinions and even maybe one or two people willing to take a more methodical plunge. As far as I can tell, there's something there, but between the marketing, the enthusiasm, and the trolling, it's very difficult to elucidate it. I tried by reading the patent (actually it seems the patent I found was for something else) and the literature, but that was about as far as I could take it. And in the face of everyone arguing about different end goals (absorbing microphonic vibrations, absorbing case vibrations, transformer vibrations, etc; audibility of said vibrations and said absorption; locations of audible vibrations, etc.) in an unstructured way, I just gave up. When the thread returned to trolling and largely uninformed objections when we had previously made decent progress, I succumbed to my frustration with it and lashed out. So, apologies again.

First, I apologize. You weren't part of the early pile-on. I got mixed up and misplaced my frustration on you.

Second, we probably agree in general on this topic. However, while the advertising copy may be broad-brushed, so has been people's rejection of the product. I kept hoping for a more nuanced discussion, one that homes in on any actual potential utility with actual informed opinions and even maybe one or two people willing to take a more methodical plunge. As far as I can tell, there's something there, but between the marketing, the enthusiasm, and the trolling, it's very difficult to elucidate it. I tried by reading the patent (actually it seems the patent I found was for something else) and the literature, but that was about as far as I could take it. And in the face of everyone arguing about different end goals (absorbing microphonic vibrations, absorbing case vibrations, transformer vibrations, etc; audibility of said vibrations and said absorption; locations of audible vibrations, etc.) in an unstructured way, I just gave up. When the thread returned to trolling and largely uninformed objections when we had previously made decent progress, I succumbed to my frustration with it and lashed out. So, apologies again.

No probs Gustav. Thanks.

Here's something to 'think' about.

So this tape magically transforms vibration into heat. Great. Vibration is assumed to be a cause of sound degradation. BUT - this tape does not stop vibration - it merely turns it into heat. So the vibration is still there (obvs!) so, ergo, this magic tape is unlikely to improve sound by the mechanism assumed!

Here's something to 'think' about.

So this tape magically transforms vibration into heat. Great. Vibration is assumed to be a cause of sound degradation. BUT - this tape does not stop vibration - it merely turns it into heat. So the vibration is still there (obvs!) so, ergo, this magic tape is unlikely to improve sound by the mechanism assumed!
Not sure I follow your logic. The vibration can't be turned into heat and still be vibration, it's one, transformed into the other. So if the tape works, the vibration experienced by whatever it's attached to will be reduced to the extent that some of it is turned to heat.

advertisement

Back