advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

The cover image is identical to the VIM in terms of resolution - just the grain and blur of the photo itself, it's not introducing any digital artefacts. But hue is completely different. Like Nagraboy, no idea which is closer to the original, although I always think of Crescent as being blue.
I haven’t seen the AS Verve other than in screen reproductions and as there so many variables with this unless properly ‘profiled’ throughout it is difficult to make critical judgement. A comparison of how I see your two covers on a calibrated screen to my original that is in VG+ condition is:
The VIM is much lighter and brighter blue in colour. The AS is closer, but still a bit brighter (less dense) in colour, the hi-lights and flesh tones in particular have a visibly slightly more blue cast. Although I noted the complaints by others that the AS cover photo wasn’t sharp neither is the original. A matter of camera focus or slow shutter speed(slight blur) as the grain is reasonably sharp.

I’m still indecisive as to whether I need another copy, although the cover wouldn’t put me off it.

I haven’t seen the AS Verve other than in screen reproductions and as there so many variables with this unless properly ‘profiled’ throughout it is difficult to make critical judgement. A comparison of how I see your two covers on a calibrated screen to my original that is in VG+ condition is:
The VIM is much lighter and brighter blue in colour. The AS is closer, but still a bit brighter (less dense) in colour, the hi-lights and flesh tones in particular have a visibly slightly more blue cast. Although I noted the complaints by others that the AS cover photo wasn’t sharp neither is the original. A matter of camera focus or slow shutter speed(slight blur) as the grain is reasonably sharp.

I’m still indecisive as to whether I need another copy, although the cover wouldn’t put me off it.
Thanks that’s interesting.

Personally I’m pleased to have a nice shiny sleeve for one of my favourite albums, but don’t really feel like I’ve gained anything sonically, not even a different take on the music, since it’s so similar to the VIM in that respect.

Thanks that’s interesting.

Personally I’m pleased to have a nice shiny sleeve for one of my favourite albums, but don’t really feel like I’ve gained anything sonically, not even a different take on the music, since it’s so similar to the VIM in that respect.
Sorry I just read my earlier post again and the latter part was less than clear. I meant the original copy is a bit darker AND that has the slightly blue cast, not The AS Verve they seem to have corrected the colour cast (rightly or wrongly) in the original.

Sorry I just read my earlier post again and the latter part was less than clear. I meant the original copy is a bit darker AND that has the slightly blue cast, not The AS Verve they seem to have corrected the colour cast (rightly or wrongly) in the original.
Ah right, was a bit surprised to hear the AS was closer to the original in terms of colour, I’d always assumed the blue cast was intentional. Odd decision to change it.

The Org looks far closer to the AS than the VIM. I’m pretty sure the heavy blue tint is either an error or ageing/fading.

Michael Fremer has the latest estimated release dates dates for this series. The big surprise though is Pharoah Sanders- ‘Karma’ seems to have now been slipped into this series for a November 11th release date that I’m sure wasn’t scheduled before. Does this signal a turnaround for Chad Kassem as this spiritual jazz / free jazz album seems way out of his comfort zone or was his arm twisted by UME?

https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...y0EHlH7vallJMCi2WDktlvR3x3qqoB9i6KtpZhU1J4ETI

I’m in for a good vinyl copy of this one. Can we expect some Alice Coltrane next year now??? :D

Does this signal a turnaround for Chad Kassem as this spiritual jazz / free jazz album seems way out of his comfort zone or was his arm twisted by UME?

https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...y0EHlH7vallJMCi2WDktlvR3x3qqoB9i6KtpZhU1J4ETI

I’m in for a good vinyl copy of this one. Can we expect some Alice Coltrane next year now??? :D

Excellent news! Maybe he reads PFM. Can we have Attica Blues next please Chad? It's been issued a bunch of times in recent years but is still expensive/scarce...

Indeed, and once Chad’s done with Pharoah Sanders and Archie Shepp he can move onto Alice Coltrane. He could take my money for all of those too.

PS That tail-end of Impulse is really ripe for reissue as unlike the early ‘60s stuff the original ‘70s pressings were not great at all. The cover quality took a dip too.

We need an Archie Shepp Impulse reissue programme - some real treasures there. The Impulse Marion Brown titles would be good too. Can’t see it happening, although Karma is a step in the right direction.

Apparently at least some of these titles are to be reissued, including A Love Supreme. Does anyone know of somewhere in the UK I can preorder from?

Apparently at least some of these titles are to be reissued, including A Love Supreme. Does anyone know of somewhere in the UK I can preorder from?
Any Record shop can order these titles from Universal (usual suspects include Rough trade, Honest Jon’s, Juno). There’s also a well known online retailer where these can be purchased.
You might find this link helpful but, as you can see, a lot of the earlier titles are currently sold out. https://www.diversevinyl.com/guest-picks/acoustic-sounds-series-jazz/

Not many posts in this thread for a while, but then the releases have been slow of late. I finally got my copy of Bill Evans Trio 65 and it is a really excellent mastering and a pretty good pressing. Perfectly flat and centred. I can just hear a little noise between tracks, nowhere else so not a problem.

I passed on the AS Trio 64 as I thought my earlier reissue pressing was pretty good, but this Trio 65 one is another level up. Excellent balance, enormous sound stage and large (I suppose you could be argued as too large?) clearly defined instruments within it. One of the very (few and far between) best Van Gelder piano recordings I have heard. Makes me want to reconsider getting the AS Trio 64, but that is a Creed Taylor produced, Bob Simpson engineered recording and that may explain some of the differences.

Musically I’m not sure, but I think I prefer Trio 65 to the normally higher rated Trio 64 at least as heard on these two different pressings. Different bass player and drummer of course, Gary Peacock and Paul Motion V Chuck Israels and Larry Bunker (who is really excellent on this). While Gary Peacock’s bass playing is truly outstanding and Evans gives him a lot of solo space I think on some tracks his more abstract expressionism seems a little out of place in the context of the whole tune and over shadows proper appreciation of what Evans is doing. Perhaps not helped on my Trio 64 (at least on my mastering) by a somewhat hyped upper bass where on 65 Israel’s bass has a much better flat and extended balanced in the mix that in my opinion allows Evans and the group as a whole to come across as better integrated.

Does anyone have the AS reissue of both and a preference?

I don't have any of the AS reissues but musically I prefer '65 to '64. In fact I am not sure what the fuss is with Trio '64 as I find various other Evans trio albums to be superior. On a related point (& coming from a big Evans fan), nothing that Evans did ever came close to the albums with LaFaro and Motian. Next to that, I quite like the trio with deJohnette and Gomez (I think deJohnette injects a different vibe into the equation). People highly rate his late trio with LaBarbera and Johnson but I find I don't return to their recordings much.

VERVE 05-Aug Count Basie April in Paris 1LP

April In Paris was one of the earliest albums to be released on Norman Granz’s new label, Verve Records. Basie plays organ and piano, and the rhythm section of Eddie Jones on bass, Sonny Payne on drums and Freddie Green on rhythm guitar drive the whole album with restrained intensity. The album helped reconnect jazz lovers with one of the finest bands of the swing era, yet there is nothing retrospective about April in Paris; it is alive with vitality, elegance, sophistication, and modernity.

VERVE 05-Aug Sonny Rollins On Impulse! 1LP

The first of Sonny’s albums for Impulse!, this 1965 collection was arguably the tenor hero’s best for the label, an intense, freewheeling set with the tenor sax master attacking five standards and in the process producing some of his most intense performances on record. Taped at the Van Gelder Studio in one marathon session on July 8th 1965, this electrifying Impulse! Records debut also featured Ray Bryant on piano and Mickey Roker on drums.

VERVE 05-Aug Keith Jarrett Treasure Island 1LP

Treasure Island, released in early 1974, was the second of two albums pianist and composer Keith Jarrett recorded for Impulse Records. The band consisted of Jarrett on piano and soprano saxophone, Dewey Redman on tenor, bassist Charlie Haden, and drummer Paul Motian. In addition to the quartet, guitarist Sam Brown contributes to a pair of cuts here as Guilherme Franco and Danny Johnson add percussion to the mix.

VERVE 05-Aug John Coltrane A Love Supreme 1LP

Easily one of the most important records ever made, this was Coltrane's pinnacle studio outing that spoke of his search for spiritual and musical freedom, as expressed through polyrhythms, modalities, and purely vertical forms. Recorded at Van Gelder Studios, it became an instant best-seller and received a Grammy nomination. It remains one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and in 2021 was certified platinum by the RIAA for sales of 1 million albums in the U.S. The achievement garners Coltrane his first-ever platinum record and is the first jazz album of the 1960s to receive platinum status, underscoring its enduring legacy and importance.

VERVE 05-Aug John Coltrane Ballads 1LP

Ballads is a special Coltrane masterpiece and consistent best-seller, recorded in December 1961 with Coltrane’s classic quartet—pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Jimmy Garrison, and drummer Elvin Jones—. When asked why such an undertaking, Coltrane replied, "variety." The recording captures the famed John Coltrane Quartet in a performance of timeless ballads.
Coltrane was one of jazz's greatest ballad players, and his lyrical gifts are in sharp relief here.

VERVE 05-Aug John Coltrane Coltrane 1LP

Initially overlooked in the music press, on its original 1962 release largely due to uninformed musical criticism of Coltrane’s performances with fellow saxophonist Eric Dolphy at the Village Vanguard the previous year, Coltrane’s eponymous album has since come to be known as a piece of art as definitive as he ever produced.
Personnel: John Coltrane, tenor sax; Elvin Jones, drums; McCoy Tyner, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass.

I assume they are counting repressings. Both those titles have been out of stock for a while.

PS I’m up for a nice copy of ‘Coltrane’.

advertisement

Back